IGNORED

2022/23 opening fixtures

Bournmouth - H

Fulham -A 

Leeds - H

Brentford - A

On paper all four opening fixtures should be winnable or at least expecting some kind of result. However, can dangerous playing newly promoted teams in the opening month of the season - with them having wind in their sails. Sometimes better to be playing one of the bigger teams when they are trying to bed new signings in etc.

We shall see

The Athletic posted an article today saying that these are fake. One massive clue was the absence of any midweek fixtures...when you consider there will be more midweek fixtures than ever this year due to World Cup...the leaked fixtures start to look very lazy. May 13th and 20th fixtures were also exactly the same LOL

7 hours ago, RuffRob said:

Bournmouth - H

Fulham -A 

Leeds - H

Brentford - A

On paper all four opening fixtures should be winnable or at least expecting some kind of result. However, can dangerous playing newly promoted teams in the opening month of the season - with them having wind in their sails. Sometimes better to be playing one of the bigger teams when they are trying to bed new signings in etc.

We shall see

After last season we can't take anything for granted. Looking forward to Thursday though.

Personally, I'm hoping for our opening match to be Liverpool at home. You often see upsets on opening day, and this would be a great way to start the season.

We saw from last season that playing weak teams early on can be very deceptive. What matters is total points over the season, not total points over the first few (easy) games.

20 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

I don’t want newly promoted clubs or lesser clubs at the start of the season… that’s when they are at their strongest 

One that sticks with me is the opening match against Nottingham Forest at home in 1977, they'd scraped into the div 2 promotion places the previous season so my young self thought, "nice easy start". They spanked us 3-1.....and went on to win the league comfortably (we actually finished third that year so I'd take a repeat)!

• MikeO changed the title to 2022/23 opening fixtures
7 minutes ago, MikeO said:

One that sticks with me is the opening match against Nottingham Forest at home in 1977, they'd scraped into the div 2 promotion places the previous season so my young self thought, "nice easy start". They spanked us 3-1.....and went on to win the league comfortably (we actually finished third that year so I'd take a repeat)!

Cloughie was a brilliant manager when he could get his own players in, they would do as he said unlike the big time Charlies at Leeds, gone off piste a bit here Mike but when you mention Forrest in that era I automatically think of Clough. 

fairly tough away games in the first month but if we're in for a half decent season we should be able to get a few points off of them.

I quite like Chelsea home as an opener.  We have a great record at home to them in recent years, crowd will be up for it with a big evening opening fixture and I fancy us to continue our run of wins at home to Chelsea.

I'm happy with Chelsea at home, hopefully flares and the like carrying on what we've seen at the back end of this season, make the place a bear pit.

3-0 Everton, Peter Kenyon whizzed his top off in the Directors box and swings it around whilst screaming Spirit of the Blues, Thomas Tuchel resigns on the spot in his press conference as he says the pressure of Goodison away games is too much, rest of the league forfeit their games 3-0 due to pure fear and we're handed the title in December.

1 hour ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

I'm happy with Chelsea at home, hopefully flares and the like carrying on what we've seen at the back end of this season, make the place a bear pit.

3-0 Everton, Peter Kenyon whizzed his top off in the Directors box and swings it around whilst screaming Spirit of the Blues, Thomas Tuchel resigns on the spot in his press conference as he says the pressure of Goodison away games is too much, rest of the league forfeit their games 3-0 due to pure fear and we're handed the title in December.

Could happen.