IGNORED

Rúben Vinagre

• MikeO changed the title to Rúben Vinagre

So Wolves loaned Vinagre to Sporting last season  with an option to buy. On the 1st July 2022 (just over three weeks ago), Sporting take up the option and buy him. Now they are loaning him to us, with an option to buy next season - for what I have read it will be similar fee to what Sporting have paid for him three weeks ago. WTF!!!

6 hours ago, BedfordBlue said:

But you are limited on number of loans so using one on position we have seems crazy 

Agree with this. I’m hoping it’s because they plan on bringing a couple of signings through in positions we need, and this could just be a secondary position to fill.

I imagine they are working on several signings at the same time.

25 minutes ago, Aidan said:

From what I've read of him he is a wing back more than a traditional full back. Looks like Lampard is strongly in favour of us playing 3 CBs this coming season.

I’m wondering if he is planning on using him further up the field in front of Mykalenko, certainly looks like he has the skill set to play there

I watched hardly any European football last season due to Everton depressing me (something which I've made a point to fix this time around) but speaking with my brother-in-law who didn't speak highly of him at all* 

Did OK for Wolves, but then didn't ever get going back home with Sporting. A bit of a damp spark in what has been a very good Sporting side recently, not exactly a glowing review although who knows what Lampard & Co can make of him? I'm personally glad we're signing someone that doesn't have the surname Winks, Barkley or Lingard.

*my brother-in-law is Portuguese.

15 minutes ago, dunlopp9987 said:

Why in the world are we bringing in a fullback when there are so many other glaring weaknesses. Don't get me wrong we probably need the cover, but this is about 5th on the list of priorities

One thing has nothing to do with another. It’s not as if the entirety of our scouting department and management is focused on this one signing and we can’t do anything else until it’s done. The priorities don’t come in sequentially from most vital to least. 

20 minutes ago, SpartyBlue said:

One thing has nothing to do with another. It’s not as if the entirety of our scouting department and management is focused on this one signing and we can’t do anything else until it’s done. The priorities don’t come in sequentially from most vital to least. 

If there's one thing I've learned through the years, it's that I would never doubt the ineptitude of our scouting department

He’s better than what we have for back up. An injury to Mykolenko at the moment would ruin our season. Decent player whenever I’ve seen him. I think this is pretty good business, especially given our financial restraints right now.

12 hours ago, dunlopp9987 said:

Why in the world are we bringing in a fullback when there are so many other glaring weaknesses. Don't get me wrong we probably need the cover, but this is about 5th on the list of priorities

I suppose we have to wait until the end of the window to see if other areas are addressed properly. Granted we have priority positions to fill, but its hardly likely were going to fill those priorities in order.

6 minutes ago, Btay said:

Not really sure how sporting have managed to almost double the price they paid for him but hey. Welcome Ruben & best of luck to him.

They might not get it. We may decide not to take up the option.

You never know, we might be in a better financial position come next summer and be able to bring in better if he flops. 

Hi everyone, hope you're doing well. I wanted to share a breakdown detailing everything you need to know about Ruben Vinagre and what you can expect to see of him at Goodison Park for those interested. While it may not be the most glamorous signing of all time, it's one that's much needed and will undoubtedly improve the squad going forward. I'd love to hear your thoughts and am happy to answer any questions you may have in mind, cheers and have a good one!