IGNORED

Manchester United (H)

Zoo 2.0

On 03/10/2022 at 00:50, Aidan said:

They're a fragile team I'm not overly worried about. They now have a lot of pressure on them to win the game and definitely won't want to lose. They also have a midweek game which will swing in our favour. If we can get 3 points it'll be a huge for us.

And it’s Goodison under the lights, let’s make it a horrible place for them to come to, we did it a Southampton with low numbers, a full Goodison is going to be fantastic, I can’t wait.

It's a massive chance for us to get all three points at the weekend, they're playing midweek in the Europa League and are on the back of an absolute tonking by their city rivals. As mentioned in my OP, they've got Varane out so it'll no doubt be the return of the £80m refrigerator who has always got a mistake or seven in him. Add into the mix that it'll be a night game, under the Old Lady's floodlights and I think we're in for a cracker.

Echoes of Fellaini heading home that bullet in the opening day or Duncan Ferguson heading home past Tim Howard for me. Despite the kick off being at an absolutely gash time on a Sunday I can't wait for it. 

I'd play the same team as last game or possibly Gordon back in for McNeil.

Great news that DCL is in line to be in the squad, hopefully that comes through and he is on the bench on Sunday.  I'd be happy to see him get 15-20 minutes at the end (putting in defensive headers and holding the ball up up the field as we defend our lead!).

Going to say 1-0 win.  Plenty of blocked chances but we keep them out.

Goal for Onana

7 minutes ago, Bailey said:

You could see DCL coming on and giving Lindelof and Martinez a real headache in the last 30 minutes after Maupay has pulled them here and there before that.

I do fear their attacking players though. It will be a big test for the back 4.

With have one of if not the most leanest defences when it comes to goals conceded, they aren’t at the top when it comes to goals scored, so I think we have a better than average chance of a clean sheet. 

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

You could see DCL coming on and giving Lindelof and Martinez a real headache in the last 30 minutes after Maupay has pulled them here and there before that.

I do fear their attacking players though. It will be a big test for the back 4.

Largely agree but I'm less worried about the back 4 with Gana in front of them. I just hope the full backs hold their own, I'm not as worried about the CBs

2 hours ago, Palfy said:

With have one of if not the most leanest defences when it comes to goals conceded, they aren’t at the top when it comes to goals scored, so I think we have a better than average chance of a clean sheet. 

Goals conceded only tells half the story.

When you look at the quality of chances we have conceded, we are 5th from bottom. 

It depends on how the game pans out but our back 4 against the counter of Martial, Rashford and Antony could be very exposed. Antony likes to cut inside and thats where Mykolenko struggles most. Martial might not start but when he plays up front, he has looked really good in this system and both CBs will struggle up against him. 

Whilst United might not be fully firing, they are still out performing us in the quality of chances they have created so far this season despite playing one game less. 

If we sit back, frustrate them and hit them on the counter, I could see us having a lot of joy against their back 4 too. 

35 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Goals conceded only tells half the story.

When you look at the quality of chances we have conceded, we are 5th from bottom. 

It depends on how the game pans out but our back 4 against the counter of Martial, Rashford and Antony could be very exposed. Antony likes to cut inside and thats where Mykolenko struggles most. Martial might not start but when he plays up front, he has looked really good in this system and both CBs will struggle up against him. 

Whilst United might not be fully firing, they are still out performing us in the quality of chances they have created so far this season despite playing one game less. 

If we sit back, frustrate them and hit them on the counter, I could see us having a lot of joy against their back 4 too. 

You could make a case for most scenarios if you try hard enough to invent one, mine was based on stats that we aren’t conceding that often, and Utd as you agreed aren’t performing. I will be interested in seeing your score in predictions, no pressure mate😂

• Following a 1-0 win over Manchester United in April, Everton are looking to win consecutive Premier League games against the Red Devils for the first time since winning both games in the 2013-14 season.

• Manchester United have won just one of their past seven Premier League matches against Everton (D4 L2), a 3-1 away win in November 2020. They had won five of their seven against the Toffees before this.

• Everton have won their past two Premier League games, having won just one of their previous 10. They last won three in a row in March 2021 under Carlo Ancelotti.

• Manchester United have lost eight of their past 10 Premier League away games (W2), keeping a clean sheet in both victories. However, the Red Devils scored as many goals in their 6-3 defeat against Manchester City last time out as they had in their previous eight away league games combined.

21 hours ago, Palfy said:

You could make a case for most scenarios if you try hard enough to invent one, mine was based on stats that we aren’t conceding that often, and Utd as you agreed aren’t performing. I will be interested in seeing your score in predictions, no pressure mate😂

Mine is also based on stats, just more detailed ones :P 

(understat.com)

52 minutes ago, Aidan said:

Haven't read through so not sure if this has already been mentioned, but what's with the 7pm kick off on a Sunday? Don't think I've ever seen that

I think I recall 1 or 2 such starting times, but honestly not 100% certain.  I wonder whether this is because of ManU’s Thurs night match in Cyprus?  Give them an extra bit of time to recover from faraway trip?

3 hours ago, Elston Gunnn said:

I think I recall 1 or 2 such starting times, but honestly not 100% certain.  I wonder whether this is because of ManU’s Thurs night match in Cyprus?  Give them an extra bit of time to recover from faraway trip?

They don't normally change fixture times completely to accommodate such games though. At least I don't have to wait until Monday night to watch us!