IGNORED

Manchester United (H)

Zoo 2.0

I am going to give united a bit of credit to be honest - they did work like fuck off the ball, we wanted/needed a fraction of a second more on the ball and they just didn't give it us, blocked passing lanes etc. Plenty of mistakes from us, but united forced them - I would say we had the reaction from the man City thumping they had.

Positive, Iwobi scoring and DCL getting some minutes.

I'll start by saying we weren't good tonight. At all.

We were really lethargic in our play, both in attack and defence. We pressed sporadically, defenders caught on their heels when they should have been reacting quicker, poor movement off the ball, sloppy passing. You name it, we were shit at it.

I'm not going to single any player out for criticism though because, other than Iwobi, I don't think anyone had a good game tbh.

I'm not going to dwell on tonight though. It was shite but was it a surprise? Not really. We're very much a work in progress and games like tonight were always going to happen and will happen again. Of that I have no doubt. So we just need to learn from tonight and move on really.

There were two things that did piss me off about tonight though.

Lampard, once again, was a bit too slow with his subs. Got no problem with the late sub of DCL because I doubt he had more than that in him but Gordon should have been brought off sooner and Garner should have been brought on sooner in my opinion. 

The other thing was how well we did towards the end of the game at putting United under pressure. We should have been at them all game instead of leaving it late like that. When we did put them under pressure they looked like they could fold at any moment!

On to the next one then.

I didnt see all of the game but based upon what I saw:

Pickford made a couple of good saves but he shouldnt have been beaten at the near post by Ronaldo.

Mykolenko gets beaten inside too easily again. Gives away sloppy possession again. Still dont see it.

Tarkowski is making a lot of mistakes but he is getting away with it. By no means his fault but he creates more space for Antony to run into for the first and he was lucky on both disallowed goals because he should have done better. 

Coady gave an aging Ronaldo a few yards and was still beaten. Also beaten for strength on the first disallowed goal. That is his weakness though, rest of his game is sharp.

Seamus is just what he is now. One great interception but he doesnt offer much.

Gueye was poor again. His mistake for the goal will get the headlines but he gave away the ball in really dangerous places on a couple of occasions. My biggest issue is that as our single pivot, when we lost the ball and needed him to get back, on a number of occasions the rest of the team were sprinting past him. 

Onana probably had his best game for a while. He isnt doing a lot, definitely cant head the ball, but he isnt letting anyone down.

Iwobi had a sloppy game. Great goal but he lost the ball in a couple of bad positions again. He was one of many who just wasn't at it.

Gray and Gordon might as well be banded together as they did fuck all. I think McNeil came on and offered more than them both. 

Maupay had little to work with and didnt do a lot with it either.

Dom didnt really have a chance to show anything. I don't know why Lampard decided to play inverted wingers when we had him on the pitch up against their two CBs. Just get to the byline and stand the ball up. 

It was a lacklustre night after the perfect start. I am sure Lampard will dust them off and we will be better in the next game.

United created more than enough chances to put us away and Rashford's disallowed goal should never have been chalked off. At least it meant my prediction was right! 🤣

12 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

We were really lethargic in our play, both in attack and defence. We pressed sporadically, defenders caught on their heels when they should have been reacting quicker, poor movement off the ball, sloppy passing. You name it, we were shit at it.

I'm not going to single any player out for criticism though because, other than Iwobi, I don't think anyone had a good game tbh.

I'm not going to dwell on tonight though. It was shite but was it a surprise? Not really. We're very much a work in progress and games like tonight were always going to happen and will happen again. Of that I have no doubt. So we just need to learn from tonight and move on really.

Lampard, once again, was a bit too slow with his subs. Got no problem with the late sub of DCL because I doubt he had more than that in him but Gordon should have been brought off sooner and Garner should have been brought on sooner in my opinion. 

The other thing was how well we did towards the end of the game at putting United under pressure. We should have been at them all game instead of leaving it late like that. When we did put them under pressure they looked like they could fold at any moment!

On to the next one then.

Garner and Gordon comments spot on 👍

13 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

On to the next one then.

I agree there was a poor enough showing from a few players that would have justified them being pulled out of the game and replaced by Garner a bit earlier. However, I can understand that we are still well in it at 1:2, so don't want to be to gung ho too soon (against a better counter attacking team), and risk a confidence sapping 1:3 or worst result. A point at the end would have been stolen given the way the game played out.  In the end, we actually fairly close to getting a equalizer.  Another day it would have ended 2-2.

I can see the way the game was going why Lampard didn't go for it a bit earlier but now with hindsight of us not nicking a point at the end, maybe subs 10min sooner might have worked out better. 

Watched the game with some United fans. They all thought Onana was our best player. We missed Patterson badly. Gordon needs to be dropped. Maupay isn't a target man and was completely lost. Gana was poor. We wobbled, we buckled, we played badly, and yet we still could have got something from the game. I thought that was progress and will stand us in good stead. We absolutely need a proper CF in January, though.  

1 hour ago, RuffRob said:

I agree there was a poor enough showing from a few players that would have justified them being pulled out of the game and replaced by Garner a bit earlier. However, I can understand that we are still well in it at 1:2, so don't want to be to gung ho too soon (against a better counter attacking team), and risk a confidence sapping 1:3 or worst result. A point at the end would have been stolen given the way the game played out.  In the end, we actually fairly close to getting a equalizer.  Another day it would have ended 2-2.

I can see the way the game was going why Lampard didn't go for it a bit earlier but now with hindsight of us not nicking a point at the end, maybe subs 10min sooner might have worked out better. 

Were we though?

It was a fairly routine stop from De Gea from Garner, he just made it look much harder than it was by going with his wrong hand.

Maybe I am forgetting a chance?

No surprises that the one night our midfield doesn't show up we get turned over. Let's hope it's an outlier and not a return to last season. 

It's a shame because Man Utd looked totally ordinary. If we perform to the previous games of this season in that match we get something out of it.

This poor Man U team still managed to put a few past City on their worst day though didn’t they? Not exactly a poor team. We all want them to be bad….. but generally we play them down as being much much worse than they actually are. 
To give them credit, they pretty much bossed the centre of the pitch.

Onanna tried his best, but it wasn’t working for him. 
Gana was badly exposed. 
Iwobi started brightly but once he gave that ball away, lost a lot of belief.

When we changed it around, we created a lot more pressure. And that was the only plus of the night. Dom being on the pitch just scared their defenders, even if he didn’t win much. He still forced them to back off a few steps.

Onanna being pushed forward reminded me of Fellaini. Throw it up there and let him and Dom battle for it. 

6 hours ago, Matt said:

You're unbelievably negative sometimes :lol:

Am I wrong though? 

6 hours ago, Hafnia said:

Great shot good save

Put it this way, if that goes in De Gea has made a huge mistake. I am not saying it wasn't a good strike from Garner but it's not us nearly equalising (if that is what RR is referring to).

9 hours ago, Bailey said:

Am I wrong though? 

Put it this way, if that goes in De Gea has made a huge mistake. I am not saying it wasn't a good strike from Garner but it's not us nearly equalising (if that is what RR is referring to).

ball was struck beautifully and had up and down flight on it.  His positioning gave him a head start which is all part of the save but he had to anticipate the dip which is why the arm he used was correct, if he used his left arm he’s not getting that as good left shoulder would be a shoulder width shorter than his right arm.