IGNORED

Sean Dyche

Hafnia

Dyche calls out the players’ lack of determination, probably about as harshly as he can afford to.

https://www.evertonfc.com/news/3926295/dyche-on-what-must-change-for-everton

“Not taking their chances.”

”We’re lacking .... that desire to go and get the last touch and put the ball in the net.”

”That’s what we’ve got to change — the willingness to get hurt to go and score a goal.”

He did not challenge his own unwillingness to drop Godfrey and Harrison.

7 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Probably because Simms was mentioned in the article you posted.

The point of the article was that one way or the other we lost several of our best youngsters, which is why nobody from the academy bar Branthwaite and Dobbin are pushing for chances in the first XI, and I don’t think Do bin is ready to be starting

For some reason you have zeroed in on Simms and while I think he is now playing at his level I still think he is better than anything we have coming through anyway and if he had still been on the books I think he would have been given game time given how shite are two main strikers have been all season

If we get relegated this season maybe he was the future of the club after all 🤷🏻‍♂️

38 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

The point of the article was that one way or the other we lost several of our best youngsters, which is why nobody from the academy bar Branthwaite and Dobbin are pushing for chances in the first XI, and I don’t think Do bin is ready to be starting

For some reason you have zeroed in on Simms and while I think he is now playing at his level I still think he is better than anything we have coming through anyway and if he had still been on the books I think he would have been given game time given how shite are two main strikers have been all season

If we get relegated this season maybe he was the future of the club after all 🤷🏻‍♂️

Dyche would probably be more comfortable if he didn't have young players to pick at all. 

1 hour ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

I zeroed in on Simms (and Cannon) because they were the biggest sales of youngsters we made in the summer, and you said we'd sold the future of the club. Hence the question.

I doubt Simms would have been given game time tbh. We've currently got Godfrey playing at RB ahead of a youngster despite him being even worse defensively than he is at attacking, despite supposedly being a defender by trade.

I do understand giving a senior player a spot over a youngster (like Patterson) because you're concerned about mistakes costing us when we're battling for every point. However, that argument falls flat when that senior player is making mistakes and costing us points. It was the same with Young earlier in the season.

7 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Does anyone think he made the substitutions too early yesterday?

Asking for a friend.

Tough question, really. Too many "what if's" in it, I think.

I mean, what if someone, for example Coleman, had started. he must be fit when on the bench.

Personally I think one sub was a tad too early; Harrisons. Wouldn't have changed anything, I'm sure. But the starting line-up might have.

2 hours ago, MikeO said:

Asking for a friend.

I don’t think he made his substitutions too early maybe one to many with 3 in the first wave, and not taking off the right players. 
For me should have left Beto on, and replaced Doucoure with DCL, should have replaced Godfrey with Patterson who would have been a huge upgrade on Godfrey when it came to crosses into the box. 
Then I would have waited 10 minutes or so too see how that played out, before putting Gomes on for Harrison or Garner. 
Dyche changed players like for like, but didn’t change the formation which I felt was a bizarre move, from a manager who’s team is trailing 2-0, he tried to change the formation when he threw Chimitti on by then there wasn’t much time left and the game was over, and it wasn’t a substitution made with any real thought about tactics it was purely a substitute made in desperation. 

3 hours ago, MikeO said:

Asking for a friend.

in true Dyche fashion they happened on the 60th minute (70th if we are still in the game).... he did the baffling Ashley young for James Garner on 75 - assuming to tighten things up and protect the 2-0 deficit.   He has a very strict timetable on these things, probably why he uses his stop watch. 

Like for like sub with strikers that have seen zero impact previously? - check 

Taking off Harrison or McNeil half way through second half despite warranting substitution at half time? - check 

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

I don’t think he made his substitutions too early maybe one to many with 3 in the first wave, and not taking off the right players. 
For me should have left Beto on, and replaced Doucoure with DCL, should have replaced Godfrey with Patterson who would have been a huge upgrade on Godfrey when it came to crosses into the box. 
Then I would have waited 10 minutes or so too see how that played out, before putting Gomes on for Harrison or Garner. 
Dyche changed players like for like, but didn’t change the formation which I felt was a bizarre move, from a manager who’s team is trailing 2-0, he tried to change the formation when he threw Chimitti on by then there wasn’t much time left and the game was over, and it wasn’t a substitution made with any real thought about tactics it was purely a substitute made in desperation. 

The whole thing with Dyche and substitutions is this - they very very rarely make sense. whether it's the time, the players, the situation....... it's all very very odd.

Generally, the last time we had a manager make changes with subs that impact the game in our favour was Ancelotti

3 hours ago, Newty82 said:

Doomed if he does. Doomed if he doesn't.

IMO.

3 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

in true Dyche fashion they happened on the 60th minute (70th if we are still in the game).... he did the baffling Ashley young for James Garner on 75 - assuming to tighten things up and protect the 2-0 deficit.   He has a very strict timetable on these things, probably why he uses his stop watch. 

Like for like sub with strikers that have seen zero impact previously? - check 

Taking off Harrison or McNeil half way through second half despite warranting substitution at half time? - check 

Check.

30 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

You happy with him Mike? 

I'm finding it very hard to get excited or even engaged by football of any sort this season, so I'll just stay on the subs bench pulling the occasional chain for now.

Would I sack him? No.

31 minutes ago, MikeO said:

I'm finding it very hard to get excited or even engaged by football of any sort this season, so I'll just stay on the subs bench pulling the occasional chain for now.

Would I sack him? No.

Worst run of form for 30 years.... so a good few managers have been sacked for less. 

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

Would I sack him? No.

Spot on Mike. I also feel the same engaging with f1. 

2 hours ago, Hafnia said:

Worst run of form for 30 years.... so a good few managers have been sacked for less. 

And what a horribly dull, mundane season we've had off the pitch. How could a manager be so awful at getting results when everything is going off without a hitch with the club??

I get that Dyche doesn’t make many subs and often like for like. But against United we were getting chances and winning the ball back in their half all game. So why would he change the formation? It was working. We didn’t not score because of the formation as we got in position to score. 
Im very critical of our lack of creativity, but the formations didn’t cause a lack of quality. The players did that themselves. 

1 hour ago, Matt said:

Based on?

Based on the fact that we are on the worst run of form since Mike walker in 1994.  Which means Kendall, smith, Koeman, Martinez, silva, Benitez, Lampard were sacked for better form.... 

i can't make it any simpler than that. 

11 hours ago, dunlopp9987 said:

And what a horribly dull, mundane season we've had off the pitch. How could a manager be so awful at getting results when everything is going off without a hitch with the club??

We got hit with a 10 point fine and went on a run of good form so that doesn't stand up does it?

Maybe onanas penalty literally did take the momentum out of our side.... like I said at the time (look at the form since that game).

2 hours ago, StevO said:

I get that Dyche doesn’t make many subs and often like for like. But against United we were getting chances and winning the ball back in their half all game. So why would he change the formation? It was working. We didn’t not score because of the formation as we got in position to score. 
Im very critical of our lack of creativity, but the formations didn’t cause a lack of quality. The players did that themselves. 

Do you know that each of our shots accounted for an average of 0.06 XG.... which basically answers as to why we struggle to score goals.

I did often wonder why dyche clapped shots from 30 yards and pointed to our number of shots early on in the season...... it's almost as though he had politically geared himself up for this line of defence.

based on his curious tactic of trying to score from distance (2 goals from outside the box all season btw) it's amazing that he let Townsend go. 

Argue against stats all you like gents..... Dyche likes to use them selectively like do most politicians. The fact is we don't score because of the way he sets us up to play...... opponents aren't stupid - they study this yet he doesn't change things.

full backs do not give us width or support so our lone striker has to rely on crosses from wide men who don't actually cross. 

Onana and garner do not break the lines from midfield and create overloads. 

in short it's shit and is why we average 1 goal per game. Which is basically dyches career stat. 

14 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

Based on the fact that we are on the worst run of form since Mike walker in 1994.  Which means Kendall, smith, Koeman, Martinez, silva, Benitez, Lampard were sacked for better form.... 

i can't make it any simpler than that. 

Nope. It's bad but not the worst run for 30 years, that goes to Frank and we're still a way of his form record. 

8 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

We got hit with a 10 point fine and went on a run of good form so that doesn't stand up does it?

Maybe onanas penalty literally did take the momentum out of our side.... like I said at the time (look at the form since that game).

I honestly think that good run of form post-deduction was... expected? I'm not sure any of us were all that surprised that the injustice of the deduction galvanized the team and the supporters. 

But then as it became clear that the deduction nonsense wasn't going away, plus a few key instances (the Onana pen being one) going against us, we inevitably fell into a poor run of form.

Ultimately, and it's been said a million times in this thread, Dyche is doing just about as well as any manager could with the given circumstances of this season. He's also now been with us for a bit and has a sense of how much of a mess the club is in, so wouldn't it make more sense to keep him in charge vs bringing in someone new who would have to not only learn that the squad is paper-thin and devoid of creativity and goals, but also to have to deal with everything going on in the background?

Stick with Dyche, please.

Just now, Matt said:

Nope. It's bad but not the first for 30 years, that goes to Frank and we're still a way of his form record. 

It's actually not Matt. It was even put to dyche in an interview and he replied. "Thanks for that".   Mike walker recorded 12 matches without a win, dyche is on 11.