IGNORED

Sean Dyche

Hafnia

6 hours ago, Hafnia said:

Funny how dyche seems to be consistently unlucky.... I guess that tends to happen when as a manager your teams average less than a goal a game.

the fact is Lampard, silva etc could point at games and results where luck didn't go their way. 

Spot on, the unlucky case can be made for everyone if you want to make that the reason for a poor run.

Strange how all these people who come out in his defence just put it down to bad luck and never mention poor decisions, the flip of that is when we win ( if anyone can still remember that far back ) you never hear the same people say he was lucky to win that, which really bemuses me. 
Let’s change the terminology from lucky to unlucky to something that can be considered and easily understood and quantified, because I find it hard to gauge whether someone is lucky or unlucky, so let’s use the terminology’s or definitions, is he good enough or not good enough, does he make in game bad decisions or good decisions.
Because generally managers keep their jobs when they are good enough and get sacked when they are not good enough, or when they make good decisions and get sacked when they make poor decisions, why should Dyche be any different to all of those who went before him, surely not because he is perceived as unlucky, have people forgotten that this is a results industry and that you shouldn’t flirt with relegation. 
I ask once again to all those who believe he shouldn’t be sacked, how many more of our last 10 games are you prepared to give him to turn it around?

2 hours ago, Palfy said:

Spot on, the unlucky case can be made for everyone if you want to make that the reason for a poor run.

Strange how all these people who come out in his defence just put it down to bad luck and never mention poor decisions, the flip of that is when we win ( if anyone can still remember that far back ) you never hear the same people say he was lucky to win that, which really bemuses me. 
Let’s change the terminology from lucky to unlucky to something that can be considered and easily understood and quantified, because I find it hard to gauge whether someone is lucky or unlucky, so let’s use the terminology’s or definitions, is he good enough or not good enough, does he make in game bad decisions or good decisions.
Because generally managers keep their jobs when they are good enough and get sacked when they are not good enough, or when they make good decisions and get sacked when they make poor decisions, why should Dyche be any different to all of those who went before him, surely not because he is perceived as unlucky, have people forgotten that this is a results industry and that you shouldn’t flirt with relegation. 
I ask once again to all those who believe he shouldn’t be sacked, how many more of our last 10 games are you prepared to give him to turn it around?

Until a better candidate is available which won't happen whilst we're fighting relegation, in the progress of potentially changing owners etc. The obvious retort would be we should be trying and all I'll say to that is how do you know we're not?

All these calls for sacking him, I get it. But then that means you want us to be managerless going into a 3rd successive relegation battle. Not to mention continue the trend of the Moshiri reign of which to my knowledge everyone has been critical of especially his disregard for continuity which is the sole reason this club is in the state that its in.

So instead of gloating about our poor performances because"I told you so" like petualent children who seem to think that present scenarios validate their ridiculous OTT criticism over the years... Maybe, just maybe, stick with with guy who we've got, can't afford to sack, had us on a run that was Europe levels of points before injuries and points deductions, and probably have no decent candidates in our current state anyway. 

I dunno, I just feel you stick with the devil you know when the alternative is a void.

41 minutes ago, Matt said:

Until a better candidate is available which won't happen whilst we're fighting relegation, in the progress of potentially changing owners etc. The obvious retort would be we should be trying and all I'll say to that is how do you know we're not?

All these calls for sacking him, I get it. But then that means you want us to be managerless going into a 3rd successive relegation battle. Not to mention continue the trend of the Moshiri reign of which to my knowledge everyone has been critical of especially his disregard for continuity which is the sole reason this club is in the state that its in.

So instead of gloating about our poor performances because"I told you so" like petualent children who seem to think that present scenarios validate their ridiculous OTT criticism over the years... Maybe, just maybe, stick with with guy who we've got, can't afford to sack, had us on a run that was Europe levels of points before injuries and points deductions, and probably have no decent candidates in our current state anyway. 

I dunno, I just feel you stick with the devil you know when the alternative is a void.

Petulant children because we have a different opinion from those who live in some sort of fantasy land is a bit rude Matt. 
Again if those who choose who have a different opinion from a certain section of TT, they are ridiculous and ridiculed. 
If my views don’t stack up with anyone’s on here it doesn’t make me petty or petulant, and if that’s problematic for you that’s something you need to deal with without putting me down whilst doing so. 
So I standby everything I’ve said, it’s not lucky or unlucky, it’s good or not good enough.  

35 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Petulant children because we have a different opinion from those who live in some sort of fantasy land is a bit rude Matt. 
Again if those who choose who have a different opinion from a certain section of TT, they are ridiculous and ridiculed. 
If my views don’t stack up with anyone’s on here it doesn’t make me petty or petulant, and if that’s problematic for you that’s something you need to deal with without putting me down whilst doing so. 
So I standby everything I’ve said, it’s not lucky or unlucky, it’s good or not good enough.  

Apologies, I hadn't had my coffee and the daughter was driving me nuts.

My irritation is with the very valid complaints (as I've acknowledged a few times now) with no solutions and actively ignoring all the other factors. Each time I ask for an idea or potential solution, my challenges are ridiculed so I'm responding in kind.

11 hours ago, Hafnia said:

Funny how dyche seems to be consistently unlucky.... I guess that tends to happen when as a manager your teams average less than a goal a game.

the fact is Lampard, silva etc could point at games and results where luck didn't go their way. 

we have come off the pitch well and truly beaten in both performances and results wise under a lot of managers in our recent history, players going on the pitch with lack luster efforts at best. Preceeding managers have not been particulay unlucky, they have just put teams out that have come of the pitch deserving to be beaten. It's been embarressing to watch - most of them with much better resources available to them than Dyche has. The past few months our team has been frustrating to watch as we have deserved more from a lot of the games. I don't feel embarressed by this team.

Even Ancellotti, he had a good run of a dozen game up to Xmas, but that team died a slow death after the turn of the New Year and played some pretty poor football. We have to remember a fair bit of the financial pain and anxitiy being suffered  this season is actually down to the money spend in the Ancelotti season. 

I don't think anybody is saying that Dyche is the best manager since sliced bread. He is however, better suited to where this club are now than the a lot if not all who have been here over Moshiri ownership.  We don't have a great record in chopping and changing managers. It seems that bit by bit each manager has chipped away at the club, even Ancelotti given the financial concequence of that season.  

Performances and effort of the player on the pitch are nowhere near bad enough for me to warrent sacking yet another manager. A new manager bounce isn't a given, and generally comes when a managers loses a dressing room. I don't beleive Dyche has lost the dressing room.

3 hours ago, Matt said:

A better candidate right now is a manager who hasn't failed to win a game in 11 matches who doesn't continue to make the same baffling decisions that have seen us return a handful of goals.

if you are honestly telling me that the best manager £100k a week could get is a sacked Burnley manager with a long standing record of not scoring goals then I'm sorry Matt I think you are completely wrong. As much of a mess as we are - there are managers out there who would love to manage our club.  There will be bright, hungry, tactically smart, managers out there who would no doubt do better than Dyche because quite frankly it's hard not to.   But to counter the predictable argument - the fans don't get to pick and thelwell I assume would have extensive dossiers on all managers. 

it is getting to the stage where I would not be against the likes of baines being considered as a short term option. 

gloating?! You were the one posting I told you so messages in December when it was advisable to keep your powder dry Matt.  Now they have bitten you on the arse you are doubling down your support of a manager who seems to have commenced the political game of blaming players - when in my opinion it's quite clear that the standard of coaching is utter shite. 

1 hour ago, Matt said:

My irritation is with the very valid complaints (as I've acknowledged a few times now) with no solutions and actively ignoring all the other factors. Each time I ask for an idea or potential solution, my challenges are ridiculed so I'm responding in kind.

So you want us to name managers Matt? Why? So you can say "won't get them"

You don't know who is attainable or not and none of us are privy to the data that exists on managers. Do you honestly think thelwell and other directors of football don't have extensive data on all football managers in the game?  They will know their scores on coaching badges, ability to man manage, defensive principles, attacking principles, tactical flexibility the lot.....

You don't need to look at what is available in the shops before establishing that your tv is broken 

6 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Last league win was Dec 16th so actually less than three months ago, and won in the cup on Jan 17th so less than two months ago.

But don't let the facts get in the way of a good rant eh? Crack on👍

December 16th last league win - next league game 30th march, so at best it's 3.5 months for a league win if we manage it. 

sorry.... all is good. It will just be the 3.5 months and we did win a cup game so it's not all bad apart from the obvious semantics. 

imagine arguing over such details.....  "objection your honour, my client has been accused of not potentially winning a game for 4 months, they actually won a cup game and it will be 3.5 months without a league win at the next opportunity to address it"

I'm starting to wonder if dyche said he watched games in the boys pen to get such an easy ride.

Just don't put him name on a bed sheet. 

6 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

A better candidate right now is a manager who hasn't failed to win a game in 11 matches who doesn't continue to make the same baffling decisions that have seen us return a handful of goals.

if you are honestly telling me that the best manager £100k a week could get is a sacked Burnley manager with a long standing record of not scoring goals then I'm sorry Matt I think you are completely wrong. As much of a mess as we are - there are managers out there who would love to manage our club.  There will be bright, hungry, tactically smart, managers out there who would no doubt do better than Dyche because quite frankly it's hard not to.   But to counter the predictable argument - the fans don't get to pick and thelwell I assume would have extensive dossiers on all managers. 

it is getting to the stage where I would not be against the likes of baines being considered as a short term option. 

gloating?! You were the one posting I told you so messages in December when it was advisable to keep your powder dry Matt.  Now they have bitten you on the arse you are doubling down your support of a manager who seems to have commenced the political game of blaming players - when in my opinion it's quite clear that the standard of coaching is utter shite. 

I think for the 4th time now, I was enjoying us winning and watching all the criticism of him at the time being proven wrong by the winning streak. I was happy we were winning and any sane fan would've been enjoying that period of success. Did it taste sweeter because it was proving all the usual negative Nellie's wrong at the time? Did I enjoy knowing that my opinion of the manager was being proven right at the time? Yeah, it was delicious but not as good as us winning. I'd always rather do that than complain when we're winning in the hopes I can say "I told you so".

Also, where am I doubling down? I agreed that things aren't good enough and I've repeatedly asked for options. I've also decided to take the overall picture into account. So, sorry that the reality of our club pisses all over your selective stat opinion, but that's the reality we're in. You'd rather us go rudderless into a relegation fight, I prefer to support our manager and team, warts and all, because there's no alternative at the moment. 

I did have a laugh at the names you mentioned reading. Managers who depend on fast passing and you think that'd work with this squad when weve repeatedly shown over the past decade+ that passing 5 yards is usually too much to cope with... I guess we could always sack him and get Bainesy in to cover the end of the season too. 

I don’t think anyone would agree that they are happy with the last. 10 games,  and that Dyche could be doing better, what were asking Hafnia and Palfy is who do you realistically think we could get in now, before our next game, who will be better, and would you accept yet another severance payout, which is part of the mess we’re in.

ATM i rate Gary ONeill for what he did at Bournemouth and what he’s doing at Wolves, would he come here, no I don’t think he would with potential relegation, and  almost certain dismissal with new owners, until the ownership is sorted we need to crept our position, we may not like it but it’s a reality IMO.

3 minutes ago, Matt said:

I think for the 4th time now, I was enjoying us winning and watching all the criticism of him at the time being proven wrong by the winning streak. I was happy we were winning and any sane fan would've been enjoying that period of success. Did it taste sweeter because it was proving all the usual negative Nellie's wrong at the time? Did I enjoy knowing that my opinion of the manager was being proven right at the time? Yeah, it was delicious but not as good as us winning. I'd always rather do that than complain when we're winning in the hopes I can say "I told you so".

Also, where am I doubling down? I agreed that things aren't good enough and I've repeatedly asked for options. I've also decided to take the overall picture into account. So, sorry that the reality of our club pisses all over your selective stat opinion, but that's the reality we're in. You'd rather us go rudderless into a relegation fight, I prefer to support our manager and team, warts and all, because there's no alternative at the moment. 

I did have a laugh at the names you mentioned reading. Managers who depend on fast passing and you think that'd work with this squad when weve repeatedly shown over the past decade+ that passing 5 yards is usually too much to cope with... I guess we could always sack him and get Bainesy in to cover the end of the season too. 

I haven't at any stage said sack him right now...... I've said there is no way he should be here after the season ends. I have actually said it's too late, but if his recent throwing of the players under the bus backfires then the decision will need to be made. 

The thing that is pissing me off is his tactics and decisions are being defended.... Ashley young coming on vs 10 man Brighton??? He comes on when 2-0 down vs man United..... Patterson benched ahead of Godfrey....

I will be quite clear - I do not want him near the club after the season

2 minutes ago, Wiggytop said:

I don’t think anyone would agree that they are happy with the last. 10 games,  and that Dyche could be doing better, what were asking Hafnia and Palfy is who do you realistically think we could get in now, before our next game, who will be better, and would you accept yet another severance payout, which is part of the mess we’re in.

ATM i rate Gary ONeill for what he did at Bournemouth and what he’s doing at Wolves, would he come here, no I don’t think he would with potential relegation, and  almost certain dismissal with new owners, until the ownership is sorted we need to crept our position, we may not like it but it’s a reality IMO.

At no point has anyone said sack him now.......  not to my mind.  

he's got to go though and like I said a while back we needed to be doing due diligence for a summer change 

2 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

I haven't at any stage said sack him right now...... I've said there is no way he should be here after the season ends. I have actually said it's too late, but if his recent throwing of the players under the bus backfires then the decision will need to be made. 

The thing that is pissing me off is his tactics and decisions are being defended.... Ashley young coming on vs 10 man Brighton??? He comes on when 2-0 down vs man United..... Patterson benched ahead of Godfrey....

I will be quite clear - I do not want him near the club after the season

OK, that's not at all how it has come across. So fair enough, some of your arguments are more understandable in that case. I don't agree still because with everything going on I don't believe he's had a good enough "stable" time and I honestly dread the idea of another possession based manager when the squad has repeatedly shown under various managers with actual budgets it can't deliver it effectively.

The tactics and subs are, in my opinion,  out of necessity because of a yet again demoralised squad riddled with injuries. They annoy the shit out of me but not as much as missing from 6 yards out and if tactics are getting us those opportunities, I don't care if its pretty. Pretty comes when the squad is settled, good enough, his depth, has morale, etc. I see none of that being achievable in the next 12 months because this damn takeover and points bullshit is hanging over us. So I support him and the team, warts and all, knowing its not good enough but also knowing there's no good alternative so, considering how delicate our squads mentality seems to be, I'm not going to be another monkey on their back.

33 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

So you want us to name managers Matt? Why? So you can say "won't get them"

You don't know who is attainable or not and none of us are privy to the data that exists on managers. Do you honestly think thelwell and other directors of football don't have extensive data on all football managers in the game?  They will know their scores on coaching badges, ability to man manage, defensive principles, attacking principles, tactical flexibility the lot.....

You don't need to look at what is available in the shops before establishing that your tv is broken 

No, because I'm honestly curious about who you think would actually come in and improve us. You know, engage in a debate, which is all I'm trying to do.

But good point, I dont know. Neither do you though so it's a pointless statement. I'm just asking your opinion and debating them. 

Just now, Matt said:

No, because I'm honestly curious about who you think would actually come in and improve us.

2 minutes ago, Matt said:

OK, that's not at all how it has come across. So fair enough, some of your arguments are more understandable in that case. I don't agree still because with everything going on I don't believe he's had a good enough "stable" time and I honestly dread the idea of another possession based manager when the squad has repeatedly shown under various managers with actual budgets it can't deliver it effectively.

The tactics and subs are, in my opinion,  out of necessity because of a yet again demoralised squad riddled with injuries. They annoy the shit out of me but not as much as missing from 6 yards out and if tactics are getting us those opportunities, I don't care if its pretty. Pretty comes when the squad is settled, good enough, his depth, has morale, etc. I see none of that being achievable in the next 12 months because this damn takeover and points bullshit is hanging over us. So I support him and the team, warts and all, knowing its not good enough but also knowing there's no good alternative so, considering how delicate our squads mentality seems to be, I'm not going to be another monkey on their back.

Tactics.... one striker and we play direct with diagonal balls. We don't play with width so why have wide players? Why not work on Beto and dcl in a 3-5-2 with us instructing them to bully centre halves and pick up scraps.  

It's the same old same old. 

3 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

Tactics.... one striker and we play direct with diagonal balls. We don't play with width so why have wide players? Why not work on Beto and dcl in a 3-5-2 with us instructing them to bully centre halves and pick up scraps.  

It's the same old same old. 

I'm all for trying them both, we absolutely should be putting 2 up front. 3 at the back with our player has proven repeatedly to be a disaster. Just because the 2 up front was a disaster once doesnt mean it cant work with a bit of patience. I'd personally prefer a quicker player to pick up knock ons, but who? Dobbin? I'm far from convinced but why not. It feels like he's being brought into the fold because we're out of options rather than him being ready. I wouldn't mind McNeil behind/alongside DCL either, but then who goes out left?

Width is hard to plan tactics around when our wingers are pretty shit at being wingers and on top of that are out of form. Plus our full backs are not really very good at bwing attacking full backs, so there's even less width options. I wish we'd persevered with Patterson but I presume he was carrying an injury and Dyche and Co. are trying to manage him carefully. Finally, our fit wide players at the moment are Dobbin, McNeil, Harrison. All 3 have shown glimpses but have largely underperformed. Danjuma is injured (and not hood enough), Coleman isn't fit, Patterson who knows. Width is an issue but due to availability and capability, neither of which we have much of. If the long ball tactics look like he's out of ideas, he probably is because there's no other option. 

I guess we could go 442 and have 2 defensive blocks but that doesn't address width either and would expose our full backs more than they are already... damned if we do, damned if we don't.

1 hour ago, Hafnia said:

December 16th last league win - next league game 30th march, so at best it's 3.5 months for a league win if we manage it. 

sorry.... all is good. It will just be the 3.5 months and we did win a cup game so it's not all bad apart from the obvious semantics. 

imagine arguing over such details.....  "objection your honour, my client has been accused of not potentially winning a game for 4 months, they actually won a cup game and it will be 3.5 months without a league win at the next opportunity to address it"

I'm starting to wonder if dyche said he watched games in the boys pen to get such an easy ride.

Just don't put him name on a bed sheet. 

Semantics schemantics, that's your explanation?

You're adding in the three weeks when we don't have a game to stretch it to three and a half months...the reality in the real world is less than three months (less than two months actually as you didn't specify league only), and it doesn't add up to "at least four months" on any calculator..

"Imagine arguing over such details" No argument over details, you gave inaccurate ones which I corrected for you, open and shut case m'lud:) If you don't want to argue over/discuss details then you need to stop posting them, easy.

The correct response should've been, "Fair cop guv, you got me bang to rights, I'll try to be a better person in future honest I will".

Just thinking too, we've lost Gana (thw one main player who breaks up play) and, to a lesser extent, Onana, so bypassing midfield is often also out of necessity. The squad is just fucked. I think the last time we were winning was actually when he had choices to make between players with no real injury concerns but that's just a guess

To think, I've just read all that without popcorn. I should know by now to always have a bag on hand.

To keep things topical though - I wouldn't be thinking about a change of manager until the end of next season at the earliest. Some of the names mentioned as possible successors are pie in the sky in my opinion (unless we do manage to look a more sane entity in the meantime and not a team treading water until we inevitably get relegated). And I'm not fussed on Potter whatsoever, I think he's overrated.

Personally, I'd be looking towards young, hungry managers. Someone like McKenna at Ipswich closer to home and I'm sure there are plenty of candidates further afield in other countries that you'd hope the club will know about.

8 hours ago, Matt said:

In fairness mate you started off with some very valid points to your argument, especially if he gets sacked now who do we realistically replace him with, I have to be honest I don’t know, more because I haven’t really thought he should be sacked.

But I’m becoming very concerned as the games move on, and grave for him to try something different because I would like him to stay, but going out every game with the same tactics and formations when it’s not clicking or playing to our strengths, concerns me that he is far too stubborn to change his position and our tactics and formations. 

I think we're stuck with him - for good or ill. I don't believe there's anyone out there who could come in and get much more out of these players in such a short space of time. Does he need to makes changes? For sure. Will he? Who knows. As @RuffRob intimated, he has the support of the dressing room and that goes a long way in determining if he stays. He has three weeks now with a relatively fit squad to get it right. Four wins will do it. We'll just have to tough it out!

1 hour ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

I still think he is the perfect man for the job given the circumstances and I really don’t see those circumstances improving, they may well get even worse, for the foreseeable future

He is the first manager to get a tune out of these players for years but people seem to forget that. I think we had a very good first half of the season but given how threadbare the squad  is, not Dyche’s fault, I think it was inevitable we would struggle over the festive period anyway. And that is before you factor in all the off field issues, the run of fixtures and the points deduction

Is it really any wonder that it’s knocked the confidence out of the side?

We need to break this cycle of changing managers every year, that’s what has got us in this mess in the first place

If people want to throw stats about and completely ignore the context surrounding them then that is up to them but thankfully Dyche still appears to have the support of those that matter, the players and Thelwell

I’m not seeing anyone on here calling for his head in the way we have with other managers. I’ve seen 3-4 very concerned with our situation including myself, the lack of a win in nearly 4 months 6 points in 11-12 games isn’t good enough, if the next 10 games mirror the last 10 then we more than likely be relegated.

What really concerns me is that tactically Dyche sends out where injuries permitting the same team in the same formation, then when he needs to make substitutions he replaces players like for like, which usually ends up with no more impact then before he made the change. 
I know there have been lots of people calling for his head now in other mediums, whether they are right or wrong is neither here nor there, there is no right or wrong it’s all about the situation the club finds it’s self in, and how far they dare to go before they pull the plug on his reign, and anything until then is all about opinions. 
Trying to be a thinking Evertonian, I wouldn’t be prepared to give him more than 3 of our remaining games to change things around, if in those 3 games we haven’t amassed more than 2 points then he has to go, and I would expect the club to feel the same way. 
If there wasn’t a right manager to take over we will have to get Woan and Stone to take over, but we can’t do nothing to change things and try to avoid relegation, hopefully none of this will be required and we get 3-4 points in the next 3 games. 
But what we can’t do is walk blindly into relegation, because we believe he deserves to be here after what he’s had to contend with, and completely ignore our form of the last 12 games as if it doesn’t matter. 

On 12/03/2024 at 10:32, Matt said:

The dickheads taken them on a jolly apparently 

That's such a stereotypical picture of the English abroad: black socks with shorts. :) You can tell the English holidaying in America by that dressing habit alone - along with eating pizza with a knife and fork. All that's missing is the knotted hankie on his head.