IGNORED

Summer 2023 Transfer Window (The Great Everton Depression)

With Gbamin, Gomes, Gray and Holgate all linked with moves away and even potentially Maupay, we’ve actually got a decent shot at ‘starting again’. These are the top names I’d sell/ let go as don’t think any fit or are of any use to us. Even getting rid of 3 in this window will be a bonus and give us some desperate wiggle-room for players who can actually move us forward/ be relied on.

1 hour ago, Boston Toffee said:

Per Alan Myers things are progressing well with Chermitti and will have medical in couple of days...

More on Youssef Chermiti, young striker now with Sporting CP.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2023/07/31/romano-claims-everton-have-agreed-to-sign-fast-and-powerful-striker

I’m always leery of the phrase “looks set,” but I’m also desperate enough to hope we sign him, as he might actually be a striker who could score a few goals.

1 hour ago, Elston Gunnn said:

More on Youssef Chermiti, young striker now with Sporting CP.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2023/07/31/romano-claims-everton-have-agreed-to-sign-fast-and-powerful-striker

I’m always leery of the phrase “looks set,” but I’m also desperate enough to hope we sign him, as he might actually be a striker who could score a few goals.

Or just be able to old the ball up would be great plus for front man at the moment. 

10 hours ago, Gwlad said:

Thing that worries me is the Holgates, Grays and Simms who move on will go out and perform for the new clubs. 

I am sure Gray will do what he usually does and start like a house on fire then decline rapidly.

I don't think there is much doubt that Holgate is not good enough.

Hopefully Simms does go out and make a good career for himself at the higher levels he is still very raw for his age and needs a lot more time to develop into the player we need now.

12 hours ago, Gwlad said:

Thing that worries me is the Holgates, Grays and Simms who move on will go out and perform for the new clubs. 

If they do, that would be a sad indictment of our club. We've had multiple regimes who've tried to get the best of those players (simms excluded). If another club can do it then it would be a tip of the hat to them (fair play)

20 minutes ago, RPG said:

I know hindsight is a wonderful thing, but if you look at the general qualities of Everton teams that were successful in the 1960s and 1980s they all had, what would now be called, wide midfielders who were skilful, always put a shift in, tracked back and had a decent injury record. Obvious examples would be Moggsy, Sheedy and Steven. I think McNeil is similar but I am not so sure about Gray.

Similarly, with central defenders: Labby, Hurst, Ratcliffe and Mountfield were hard as nails, took no prisoners, and had other qualities such as pace (Ratcliffe) or could provide 10 goals a season (Mountfield). Holgate doesn’t inspire confidence in his basic defending and doesn’t appear to have any other qualities to bring to the team either.

Simms, I will pass on as I don’t think he has had long enough in the first team to be fairly assessed. But Dyche was obviously happy enough to let him go.

I like what I think Dyche is trying to do. He is bringing in experience (Young) with a good attitude or youth with a good attitude and, as a first step, is turning us into a hybrid of Joe Royle’s ‘Dogs of War’ and Harry Catterick’s ‘School of Science’ with a big dose of ‘Howard’s Way’ thrown into the mix.

It obviously won’t happen overnight but I do feel that the decks are being swept and that we are slowly starting to build in an organised and sensible manner once again.

I think we are definitely moving towards a younger team that could develop together.

Patterson (21), Branthwaithe (21), Godfrey (25), Mykolenko (24)

Onana (21),  Garner (22),  

McNeil (23),       Dele/Iwobi (27),      Danjuma (26)

DCL (27)/ Chermiti (19))

I am not suggesting that's our best team as we have Gana, Young, Tarkowski and Doucs who would all probably get in the starting 11 on game day 1, but I can start to see a good nucleus of a team developing - there are 6 or 7 players that you would hope will improve this season. Average age of those listed is 23.5. 

8 minutes ago, RuffRob said:

I think we are definitely moving towards a younger team that could develop together.

Patterson (21), Branthwaithe (21), Godfrey (25), Mykolenko (24)

Onana (21),  Garner (22),  

McNeil (23),       Dele/Iwobi (27),      Danjuma (26)

DCL (27)/ Chermiti (19))

I am not suggesting that's our best team as we have Gana, Young, Tarkowski and Doucs who would all probably get in the starting 11 on game day 1, but I can start to see a good nucleus of a team developing - there are 6 or 7 players that you would hope will improve this season. Average age of those listed is 23.5. 

That back 4 would scare shite out of me to be honest.  

I would like to see Branthwaithe now thrown in to the mix now.  He's had a year of senior football and did well, so to me logical step is getting him up to Premiership speed as quick as you can - it is a big step up, but I think he is ready to have a crack at it.

We just have to accept that there will be errors (will it be any more than keane?), but he can grow next to Tarks.  

Godfrey has to kick on to get his career back on track this season - I would have hoped he'd have nailed a place in the team by now, but with suffering with COVID and then the leg break last year it's not been great for him the past couple of seasons.  

I would also like Branthwaite to get the nod over Keane but don’t see it happening straight away. 
So I expect us to start with Patterson Tarkowski Keane Young, unless he pushes Young in McNeils spot and brings in Mykolenko. But I don’t see a time when Godfrey or Mykolenko become first team regulars under Dyche. 

Members

Posted August 31, 2022

Just think about it: We have England's #1 in goal. We have Tarkowski and Coady as central defenders, both England internationals and proven leaders, with Holgate if we're playing three at the back. Mykolenko and Patterson provide the width in defence. In midfield, we're likely to have Gueye, Iwobi, and Onana - an impressive mix of youth and experience. With DC-L upfront with Maupay as backup, there might be Gordon and Chukwueze on the wings. Squad depth will also be quite impressive, with Begovic; Gray, McNeil, maybe Garner, Townsend, Doucoure, and Davies; Vinagre, Keane, Godfrey, Mina, and Coleman; with youngsters Warrington, Mills, Cannon, and others coming through. Here's hoping Allan, Gomes, and Rondon are moved out. What a transformation!

Just found this from Cornish nearly 12 months ago 🙄

44 minutes ago, Gwlad said:

Members

Posted August 31, 2022

Just think about it: We have England's #1 in goal. We have Tarkowski and Coady as central defenders, both England internationals and proven leaders, with Holgate if we're playing three at the back. Mykolenko and Patterson provide the width in defence. In midfield, we're likely to have Gueye, Iwobi, and Onana - an impressive mix of youth and experience. With DC-L upfront with Maupay as backup, there might be Gordon and Chukwueze on the wings. Squad depth will also be quite impressive, with Begovic; Gray, McNeil, maybe Garner, Townsend, Doucoure, and Davies; Vinagre, Keane, Godfrey, Mina, and Coleman; with youngsters Warrington, Mills, Cannon, and others coming through. Here's hoping Allan, Gomes, and Rondon are moved out. What a transformation!

Just found this from Cornish nearly 12 months ago 🙄

Things change over time, don't they? I would still agree with much of what I wrote, though. Where our boat was holed was DC-L being out for most of the season and Maupay proving to be poor. Our defence was not an issue: remember when we had the best defence stats in the league? Our midfield was strong and remains so. We have England's #1 in goal. McNeil turned out to be an excellent acquisition. In many ways, our story is similar now to what it was then. With the wisdom of hindsight, though, we now know that proven depth in attack is not only a priority but an absolute necessity.

2 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

Things change over time, don't they? I would still agree with much of what I wrote, though. Where our boat was holed was DC-L being out for most of the season and Maupay proving to be poor. Our defence was not an issue: remember when we had the best defence stats in the league? Our midfield was strong and remains so. We have England's #1 in goal. McNeil turned out to be an excellent acquisition. In many ways, our story is similar now to what it was then. With the wisdom of hindsight, though, we now know that proven depth in attack is not only a priority but an absolute necessity.

Not knocking your post at all Steve, just how times change. However you view it a crocked DCL was our downfall. I think we might also regret not keeping Coady.

3 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

Our defence was an issue, a bloody big one, and we were just lucky that we weren't conceding as many goals as we should have given the chances we conceded.

Then, shock horror, teams started putting them away. There is only so long you can get away with outperforming the underlying data. 

16 hours ago, Palfy said:

The dropping of Coady for Keane opened the floodgates of goals being conceded, I’m not trying to make a comparison between them as individuals but as a pair there was more understanding with Tarkowski and Coady than Tarkowski and Keane.  

Hmmmm... The 2 goals conceded against Leicester, 3 goals conceded against Bournemouth and 4 goals conceded against Brighton suggest the floodgates had opened before Keane came into the side!

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

Hmmmm... The 2 goals conceded against Leicester, 3 goals conceded against Bournemouth and 4 goals conceded against Brighton suggest the floodgates had opened before Keane came into the side!

I think he means under Dyche's management, when we had a couple of clean sheets at the start...

We cannot got the season with Keane as a first team option.

Didn’t Keane actually win some points that helped save us?

Anyone here think Trent is actually a good defender? Or do they sacrifice some defence for his effectiveness up the last third. (Though he is loving I to midfield now) 

In the same way that Keane is very near on a par with Coady in defence, but is much more effective in the opposite box. For as much as Keane can frustrate me… I found Coady to be a very boring and low level footballer. 

But I know I know, he is great in the changing room. So hire him as a coach!

Coady played 5 games under the Dyche the first 4 then the final game keeping 3 clean sheets and conceding 4 goals. 
Keane played 10 games keeping 2 clean sheets and conceding 20 goals. 
In the first 4 games that Dyche took control of Coady played they kept 2 clean sheets and conceded 4 goals. 
The next 4 games Keane played kept 1 clean sheet and conceded 9 goals. I rest my case that dropping Coady for Keane and trying to recreate the Bournemouth factor didn’t work. 

So Coady was in the team when we had a leaner defence. How many points did we earn in that time per game?

And let’s do the same exercise with Coady dropped and Keane in the team.

All in the name of fairness and to follow the Data. Because that’s what’s Important isn’t it? Points.