IGNORED

Chelsea (Away) 18th March

Romey 1878

That's one to chalk in the "we got away with it column".

Outplayed all game and Chelsea should have seen us off but a set piece and shocking defending / keeping get us a vital point.ย 

Fwiw on the Felix goal, I do wonder where our midfield were, like I did for most of the game. Keane is on the back foot, gets as much as he can on it and its like the parting of the red sea for Felix in a really dangerous position.ย 

For the penalty, I know its Tarkowski that makes the challenge but Godfrey has to do so much more and I imagine if Godfrey wasn't still chipping away at the attacking, Tarkowski would have done things differently.ย 

A quick word on Ellis Simms, whilst Koulibaly and Kepa were both really poor I still love that he went and did it. No-one else available could have done that, good on the lad.

1 hour ago, Shukes said:

I would think Dyche will most likely start with the same team. But he has undoubtedly deserved more of a chance now.ย 
It gives us the opportunity to bring DCL back on slowly.

I think so as well. Dyche likes were possible to keep the same line up, unless injuries or a poor performance from someone as happened with Coady.ย 

8 hours ago, RPG said:

I think the question that now has to be asked is this: Has Simms done enough to get a start against Spurs? Even if DCL is fit he won't be matchfit so there may be an argument for starting Simms and giving DCL the last 20 minutes if he is fit. And if we do that, who do we drop?

No. It should be DC-L.ย 

I havenโ€™t seen the game, only listened, we were clearly on the back foot for most of the game, Iโ€™m really pleased we seem to be getting better at grinding out results in games where we would have lost under previous managers. At this point Iโ€™m not bothered about how pretty we look, itโ€™s PL survival first, then start to work on being more attractive with results once weโ€™re secure.

26 minutes ago, Wiggytop said:

I havenโ€™t seen the game, only listened, we were clearly on the back foot for most of the game, Iโ€™m really pleased we seem to be getting better at grinding out results in games where we would have lost under previous managers. At this point Iโ€™m not bothered about how pretty we look, itโ€™s PL survival first, then start to work on being more attractive with results once weโ€™re secure.

It wasnโ€™t nowhere near as bad as people are making out.ย 
ย 

First 15 miles bites it looked like we were going to get smashed. The. We started to hold the ball a bit better. But they were always the better team and in control. Itโ€™s Chelsea away.

Second half we had much more of a go at it. They were still the better team, it almost looked like they were the home team. But we were getting the ball forward better and causing them concern.

When they scored their second goal we saw a big change in mentality. We knew we had to score and didnโ€™t sit back trying to keep it down. Dyche made a brave decision and brought off one of our defensive mids for a forward. He went for it.

Simms came on and put himself about. Smashed a shot against a pair of legs, and got about. Gray sprinted from one side of the pitch to the other and left a bit on their Cresswell, not for the first time.ย 
ย 

Their first goal was soft. Gana didnโ€™t pick up the forward when he dropped to the edge, Iwobi stood in space and watched. Soft goal but good. Finish.

Their second goal was worse, Iwobi gave possible his sixth easy ball straight to them, twice in the same play. The ran immediately went on the attack and wasnโ€™t a penalty. A goal that should have been so easily avoided.

But letโ€™s be clear. Pickford was nowhere near man of the match. Hardly got tested. We went away to an inform Chelsea who have their tails up, and got a thoroughly deserved point.ย 

1 hour ago, Shukes said:

Second half we had much more of a go at it. They were still the better team, it almost looked like they were the home team. But we were getting the ball forward better and causing them concern.

They almost looked like the home team because they were the home team you nutter๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

40 minutes ago, Palfy said:

They almost looked like the home team because they were the home team you nutter๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

Exactly haha. My point is that we should have been expecting to have a very low possession score against Chelsea in front of their home fans.

Were not a possession team as it is, so playing against teams like Chelsea and not having the ball isnโ€™t because we are poor.ย 
We played a very good game tactically and if not for poor mistakes, didnโ€™t look overly troubled.ย 
ย 

Itโ€™s good signs for me. Get the basics right and it gives you a chance. Once basics are working it allows expression to manifest. Simms had the confidence and belief to brush past one of the best defenders in the world this last decade.

19 minutes ago, Shukes said:

Exactly haha. My point is that we should have been expecting to have a very low possession score against Chelsea in front of their home fans.

Were not a possession team as it is, so playing against teams like Chelsea and not having the ball isnโ€™t because we are poor.ย 
We played a very good game tactically and if not for poor mistakes, didnโ€™t look overly troubled.ย 
ย 

Itโ€™s good signs for me. Get the basics right and it gives you a chance. Once basics are working it allows expression to manifest. Simms had the confidence and belief to brush past one of the best defenders in the world this last decade.

I agree we are a far better unit under Dyche at working hard and playing for each other, but next season we need much more than just being able to battle with our backs against the wall, but I'm not going to criticise him since he joined he's going to save us pretty much against all the odds. We will never know but I believe we would have been relegated under Lampard, and the biggest reason would have been Doucoure he has been the biggest reason we have done so well since Dyche came on board, we wouldn't of had that with Lampard still here. But I'll be honest I'm worried that next season Dyche plays football in his survival mode, looking at us like a Burnley where staying in the league is viewed as success.ย 

5 hours ago, Palfy said:

I agree we are a far better unit under Dyche at working hard and playing for each other, but next season we need much more than just being able to battle with our backs against the wall, but I'm not going to criticise him since he joined he's going to save us pretty much against all the odds. We will never know but I believe we would have been relegated under Lampard, and the biggest reason would have been Doucoure he has been the biggest reason we have done so well since Dyche came on board, we wouldn't of had that with Lampard still here. But I'll be honest I'm worried that next season Dyche plays football in his survival mode, looking at us like a Burnley where staying in the league is viewed as success.ย 

Why do you think we will play survival football next season if we survive this? Dyche has come in when we were the laughing stock of the game, heโ€™s steadied the ship gained points, some against teams no one gave us a chance, all without a recognised CF.

If the numpties give him the money to buy the right striker and a few other positions why wpuld we be playing survival football?

1 minute ago, Wiggytop said:

Why do you think we will play survival football next season if we survive this? Dyche has come in when we were the laughing stock of the game, heโ€™s steadied the ship gained points, some against teams no one gave us a chance, all without a recognised CF.

If the numpties give him the money to buy the right striker and a few other positions why wpuld we be playing survival football?

If you read what I said, you will see that I said I hope we don't play survival football next season, and that he gets us playing an expansive game with the work rate and fight he has instilled in the players to date. It's not a secret that we are being dominated in most of our games, and that our dogged attitude is getting us through which we never had very much of under Lampard where we always started games on the front foot, but buckled and run out of steam and ideas as the game progressed. I think I have a right to question what will be Dyche's approach will be next season, let's not forget every season of his PL career has been based on finishing 17th or above which was a successful season for Burnley owners and supporters, I hope he can leave that mindset behind with us, because I think most Everton supporters won't class that battling every week just to keep their PL status would be classed as a successful season, where as Burnley did. So they are my thoughts and observations on what could happen and not fact, the easiest thing would be to jump on the bandwagon of the popular Dyche is the messiah, so just putting another view or senario on the table, sorry it's not in complete line with yours, but as this season is going very much inline with you.ย 

27 minutes ago, Wiggytop said:

Palfy, I donโ€™t ย see the word โ€˜hopeโ€™ in your reply to Shukes, which is your quote I was responding to, forgive me for not understanding your meaning ๐Ÿ˜œ

๐Ÿ‘ย I did use the word hope in post 15hrs before, I must have changed my mind when responding to Shukes ๐Ÿ˜‰

Watching the game yesterday, our play wasn't pretty but it was effective. Key, of course, was our defence, and I thought Tarkowski was outstanding (my MOTM). Our structure and organization at the back was consistently good throughout the game. It's nice to have the flexibility that Godfrey offers, too, switching from left to right with hardly a blink.

I really don't get the comments about Iwobi. For sure, he tried a couple of times to kick the ball off an opponent and into touch, only it didn't go into touch. Chilwell did the very same thing a couple of times, and it worked once out of two attempts. Some of Iwobi's passes fell short, but that was true for others as well. His energy level was phenomenal, and he was key to several promising moves. He may not have been MOTM, but he wasn't poor either.

I'm pleased for Simms. He was too hesitant soon after he came on, but he became more confident quickly, and that was key to his run. He powered through, and all credit to him for a good goal. That doesn't mean he starts over DC-L, though: For now, he'll make an excellent power sub in the second half.

Onana is loving fan support, that's obvious. His face was beaming at the end as travelling fans chanted and chanted. It must fire up the players.

10 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

really don't get the comments about Iwobi. For sure, he tried a couple of times to kick the ball off an opponent and into touch, only it didn't go into touch. Chilwell did the very same thing a couple of times, and it worked once out of two attempts. Some of Iwobi's passes fell short, but that was true for others as well. His energy level was phenomenal, and he was key to several promising moves. He may not have been MOTM, but he wasn't poor either.

ย 

That was born out by nearly all pundits on player scores, Iwobi wasn't the motm as you rightly say but was no where near the worst player on the day, unfortunately Iwobi is turning into the new hate figure, so much so he was even got the blame for their 2nd goal because he gave the ball away in the Chelsea half, that has to be the biggest I don't know fuck all I've ever heard. The passes and opportunities to effect them passes before the ball got into the area not even mentioned, the 2 poorly executed tackles in the penalty area that conceded the penalty not even mentioned, but Iwobi gives up possession in Chelsea's half and the goal becomes his fault ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ The miss timed tackles in the area are the reason for the goal it's not so hard to work that out it's simple really.ย 

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

That was born out by nearly all pundits on player scores, Iwobi wasn't the motm as you rightly say but was no where near the worst player on the day, unfortunately Iwobi is turning into the new hate figure, so much so he was even got the blame for their 2nd goal because he gave the ball away in the Chelsea half, that has to be the biggest I don't know fuck all I've ever heard. The passes and opportunities to effect them passes before the ball got into the area not even mentioned, the 2 poorly executed tackles in the penalty area that conceded the penalty not even mentioned, but Iwobi gives up possession in Chelsea's half and the goal becomes his fault ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ The miss timed tackles in the area are the reason for the goal it's not so hard to work that out it's simple really.ย 

...plus James falling over his own laces. Sadly, simulation works time and again.

IMO, any football player who falls down in a game, especially in the opponents' penalty area, must be subject later in the day to an ice cream test. Ask them for their favourite ice cream, give them a double-cone with 99 added, have them walk or run along the street toward the beach, and then replicate the supposed tackle from their game. I'll warrant they'll do all possible to stay on their feet and not drop their ice cream. For sure, they won't throw their ice cream away and roll in feigned agony for two minutes on the floor while passers-by wonder why they're causing such a scene.

28 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

...plus James falling over his own laces. Sadly, simulation works time and again.

IMO, any football player who falls down in a game, especially in the opponents' penalty area, must be subject later in the day to an ice cream test. Ask them for their favourite ice cream, give them a double-cone with 99 added, have them walk or run along the street toward the beach, and then replicate the supposed tackle from their game. I'll warrant they'll do all possible to stay on their feet and not drop their ice cream. For sure, they won't throw their ice cream away and roll in feigned agony for two minutes on the floor while passers-by wonder why they're causing such a scene.

Am I still drunk?

On 20/03/2023 at 13:29, Palfy said:

Thatโ€™s just not true at all Palfy.ย 
My comments on him were actually during the match, nothing to do with pundits at allโ€ฆ. I was watching the match.

The second goal was 100% started by his pass. If he kept possession there then they wouldnโ€™t have been on the attack. It wasnโ€™t even an attempted difficult pass, it was on the half way line and a simple sideways pass. They didnโ€™t even need to intercept it, they just stood and received it from him. It put them instantly on the attack with our players out of position.ย 
ย 

Yes we had chances to defend it, but the situation wouldn't have arisen if it wasnโ€™t for his pass. You manage your own company, you know full well about root cause analysis. And Iโ€™m pretty sure that video will be shown by Dyche to the players with him pointing it out as a mistake.ย 
This is why the world needs managers, as managers have the ability to look at the root cause of a problem.ย 
ย 

To wash over it as insignificant compared to other โ€œplayersโ€ mistakes is foolish as it lead directly to an opposition attack.ย 
The โ€œI don't know fuck allโ€ comment would be disrespectful to all coaches and managers, as I know first hand that they analyse these type of mistakes and use it to help players grow and learn. And Iโ€™m 100% sure that Iwobi will also analyse it himself and use it as a tool to grow and improve his own game.

Football is a very subjective matter and while some may feel he had a terrible game, others may think he was average and others were worse.

I do it myself regularly when I favour players, itโ€™s natural. I want DCL to succeed so much that I sometimes gloss over his mistakes and weaknesses.ย 
ย 

But Iwobi is on a terrible run of form, and that game highlighted his bad run. No one needed pundits to tell them how someone played, we just simply watch and make an observation.

Now get back in your hole in the Gana thread please.