IGNORED

Summer news for 23/24 season - kits/friendlies/fixtures

9 hours ago, Elston Gunnn said:

Didn’t see the match.  For those who did, can you tell me where Young lined up mostly?  Iwobi?  McNeil on left?  Did Gana mostly sit in front of back 4?  Godfrey LB?

Iwobi looked central with Young mostly out wide further forward. Godfrey LB, Gana just buzzed around the middle of the park.

I think Maupay played CB for Wigan which I thought was strange….

10 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

I thought we played really well and should have won by a few more. A good workout for the lads and it's another positive step in pre-season.

Echo this. We created some really good chances and there seems to be a clear instruction to get down the wings - evident we need a proper goal scorer!

5 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

Maupay really really disappoints, doesn't he? Honestly, he contributed well at Brighton, so I was hopeful when he joined, but in this game he was truly awful.

To match if the day viewers he looked ok at Brighton.   Look at his stats, Brighton had decent xg yet he had less than his xg.  Poo

35 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

To match if the day viewers he looked ok at Brighton.   Look at his stats, Brighton had decent xg yet he had less than his xg.  Poo

He’s never been clinical and as we don’t created that much he’s certainly not a good fit. 

…and I really don’t like the away kit. Too busy and looks half finished.

12 hours ago, Btay said:

Iwobi looked central with Young mostly out wide further forward. Godfrey LB, Gana just buzzed around the middle of the park.

I think Maupay played CB for Wigan which I thought was strange….

Thanks for answering my post with this info.  I was afraid Godfrey might have been LB.  Ugh.  And that Young seems a winger/attacker surprises me, but maybe he’s just got more quality virtually anywhere on the pitch that he might score more goals than, well, several unnamed lads.

Gana — I’m ok with his buzzing, though I’d prefer that he not buzz too far forward, imagining/hallucinating himself a shotmaker.  He’s a good DCM, a lousy ACM, but I don’t think he can see the obvious.  Can Dyche?

4 minutes ago, Elston Gunnn said:

Thanks for answering my post with this info.  I was afraid Godfrey might have been LB.  Ugh.  And that Young seems a winger/attacker surprises me, but maybe he’s just got more quality virtually anywhere on the pitch that he might score more goals than, well, several unnamed lads.

Gana — I’m ok with his buzzing, though I’d prefer that he not buzz too far forward, imagining/hallucinating himself a shotmaker.  He’s a good DCM, a lousy ACM, but I don’t think he can see the obvious.  Can Dyche?

I wouldn't read too much into positions at this stage as it is more about getting fitness in the tank.

3 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I wouldn't read too much into positions at this stage as it is more about getting fitness in the tank.

Ok, thanks.  If this means Godfrey really isn’t likely to play LB, that brightens my day.

If it means Gana will very rarely buzz forward with his “shotmaking,” that, too, would be good news.  Someone described Gana as “ageless,” which seems apt.  But his self-perception as a goal-scorer is also ageless, and self-misperception at any age.

49 minutes ago, Elston Gunnn said:

Ok, thanks.  If this means Godfrey really isn’t likely to play LB, that brightens my day.

If it means Gana will very rarely buzz forward with his “shotmaking,” that, too, would be good news.  Someone described Gana as “ageless,” which seems apt.  But his self-perception as a goal-scorer is also ageless, and self-misperception at any age.

I was thinking more about Young than the othet two 🤣

53 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I was thinking more about Young than the othet two 🤣

Ah, got it.  May Young play young.

On the other 2, I’ll continue to hope Godfrey is seldom used at LB, and that ageless Gana has an epiphany (or simply looks at his “shotmaking” tapes) and uses 95% of his energy to foil opposing attackers, and only 5% to push forward toward using his aging shooting boots.

5 minutes ago, Shukes said:

Elston what do you think of Gana’s shots?

I don’t know, it just feels like your trying to say something.

You mean Gana’s “shots,” right?  I think they’re ...... words fail, I’m struggling here ....... inadequate to the task at hand.  Bollocks.

Stay back, buzz around the entirety of the middle of the pitch, make dozens of tackles, strive to be the EPL’s DPOY, leave the advancing midfield duties to others (Garner, maybe Onana, Iwobi, Gomes).

6 hours ago, Elston Gunnn said:

Ah, got it.  May Young play young.

On the other 2, I’ll continue to hope Godfrey is seldom used at LB, and that ageless Gana has an epiphany (or simply looks at his “shotmaking” tapes) and uses 95% of his energy to foil opposing attackers, and only 5% to push forward toward using his aging shooting boots.

I think it will be Mykolenko & Young at Lb this season before Godfrey. Good for Godfrey to get minutes though so it makes sense how they lined up for this one.

29 minutes ago, Shukes said:

Don’t think you’ve been watching us. The whole team is absolutely useless at shooting, I think this is why he takes them on sometimes.

We do have Dwight though.

Ha, you’ve got a point.  I won’t (quite) say the whole team is “absolutely” useless, just regular useless.  I do think Gana’s shots tend to be more off target than those of others.  But maybe I’m obsessed with Gana’s dangerous tendency to roam far and wide, when his first priority should always be harassing the other team with smart tackles.  Always.

He wants to score a goal now and then; I get it.  He’s no good at goalscoring; he doesn’t get it.

43 minutes ago, Palfy said:

It does make sense to have the option particularly when a sponsor clashes with your values or beliefs. I was jesting with my first post mate. 

Hate West Ham with a vengeance.

My ex-younger brother was a big fan, ex because of the dreadful way he behaved when my mum died in 2017, me and my big bro will never talk to him again.

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

Hate West Ham with a vengeance.

My ex-younger brother was a big fan, ex because of the dreadful way he behaved when my mum died in 2017, me and my big bro will never talk to him again.

I don’t know any West Ham fans luckily. Sorry to hear that your brother disrespected the family at such devastating time, I agree some things can’t be forgotten or forgiven.