IGNORED

Kelechi Iheanacho

36 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I get this argument generally however a lot of people would have made similar comments about Maupay last season.

Decent player or not, does Iheanacho fit in with how Dyche is likely to play. If he doesn't, if he costs £1mil or £100mil it won't matter as whatever it will be is a waste of money.

This comes from the perspective of someone who has followed mostly  American sports for 30 years but..

The best coaches/managers, in my opinion, adapt to their talent. Yes, they have philosophies they want to impart but they do not fit square pegs into round holes. If you can’t get production out of good talent because it doesn’t fit the system you most prefer how good are you really? 

11 hours ago, Bailey said:

I get this argument generally however a lot of people would have made similar comments about Maupay last season.

Decent player or not, does Iheanacho fit in with how Dyche is likely to play. If he doesn't, if he costs £1mil or £100mil it won't matter as whatever it will be is a waste of money.

Yep, for sure. I guess in that case I'd hope Dyche has an input.

Personally, I do think the price matters regards impact of waste. A £99mill swing in your (exaggerated to make a point 😉) eexample is a big amount of money 😂. £1mill, doesn't work, you can probs get most of that back. £100mill, doesn't work...Good fuckin luck getting much of that back vs the player sitting on the bench, out on loan, running down the contract (as we have literally seen across 3/4 players at least!)

12 hours ago, Bailey said:

Maupay gave the impression he was mobile. If we knew the reality - we wouldn’t touch him.  

iheanacho is very well rounded bar aerial. Loads of pace, can play across front 3, strong. 

58 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

Maupay gave the impression he was mobile. If we knew the reality - we wouldn’t touch him.  

iheanacho is very well rounded bar aerial. Loads of pace, can play across front 3, strong. 

He's not as good as you think, and if we play the same system as last season, then I don't see how he fits in. 
Obviously I'd back him if he walks through the door, but I've got to say I'd be disappointed.
Yet anther unimaginative signing. Buying people from PL who have flattered to deceive 
Such a shame. 

I really do t understand why people are tho long that Dyche wants to sign players that he won’t want to play on his system? 

I mean I would take a guess… and it is just a guess…. That Dyche actually looks at these players himself.

We are all commenting on how good we think he is or isn't, but it’s how good Dyche and our scouts think he is that counts.

I mean don’t get me wrong, that shouldn’t stop us discussing potential signings. But we do need to understand that if we are targeting players, then Dyche won’t be sitting on holiday messaging the board on Facebook…. Saying… I can’t wait to see who you’ve brought in for me guys.

He might not be the most exciting signing we ever make but I think he would be a good steady option

He has proven he can score in the PL and is available for a decent price if the rumoured £10m fee is to be believed 

Not sure what people are expecting but in our current state he ticks a lot of boxes for me

Proven goal scorer ✔️

Affordable ✔️

Willing to Come here and play 2nd fiddle to DCL ✔️

Willing to come here at all ✔️

He is probably not our prime target but would people prefer if we repeated past mistakes by putting all our eggs in one basket and chasing  a player we ultimately fail to get over the line and have no plan B so come away empty handed?

24 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

He might not be the most exciting signing we ever make but I think he would be a good steady option

He has proven he can score in the PL and is available for a decent price if the rumoured £10m fee is to be believed 

Not sure what people are expecting but in our current state he ticks a lot of boxes for me

Proven goal scorer ✔️

Affordable ✔️

Willing to Come here and play 2nd fiddle to DCL ✔️

Willing to come here at all ✔️

He is probably not our prime target but would people prefer if we repeated past mistakes by putting all our eggs in one basket and chasing  a player we ultimately fail to get over the line and have no plan B so come away empty handed?

I don’t see him as a big improvement on Maupay and he was a plan B signing I assume. 

17 hours ago, SpartyBlue said:

This comes from the perspective of someone who has followed mostly  American sports for 30 years but..

The best coaches/managers, in my opinion, adapt to their talent. Yes, they have philosophies they want to impart but they do not fit square pegs into round holes. If you can’t get production out of good talent because it doesn’t fit the system you most prefer how good are you really? 

I understand your point but I disagree. Managers can only do so well with the tools at their disposal. If you want to get the best out of your football club, bearing in mind its an 11 man team sport, then the players need to fit they way the manager wants to play. You don't want 4 paceless defenders who are crap on the ball playing a highline when the rest of the team suits that style of football. 

The managers idea of how to win football games must combine with the players brought into that system. Its fundamentally important.

5 hours ago, Hafnia said:

Maybe Iheanacho is giving you the same impression Maupay did? 🤣

And fwiw Iheanacho is definitely not a left or right winger. He is probably best as a second striker IMO. I don't think he gets through enough of the hard graft required for a player that spearheads an attack in a team like ours.

3 hours ago, Shukes said:

I really do t understand why people are tho long that Dyche wants to sign players that he won’t want to play on his system? 

I mean I would take a guess… and it is just a guess…. That Dyche actually looks at these players himself.

We are all commenting on how good we think he is or isn't, but it’s how good Dyche and our scouts think he is that counts.

I mean don’t get me wrong, that shouldn’t stop us discussing potential signings. But we do need to understand that if we are targeting players, then Dyche won’t be sitting on holiday messaging the board on Facebook…. Saying… I can’t wait to see who you’ve brought in for me guys.

Past experience! 

We signed Maupay when Lampard had us unable to advance the ball out of our own half!

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

I understand your point but I disagree. Managers can only do so well with the tools at their disposal. If you want to get the best out of your football club, bearing in mind its an 11 man team sport, then the players need to fit they way the manager wants to play. You don't want 4 paceless defenders who are crap on the ball playing a highline when the rest of the team suits that style of football. 

The managers idea of how to win football games must combine with the players brought into that system. Its fundamentally important.

Maybe Iheanacho is giving you the same impression Maupay did? 🤣

And fwiw Iheanacho is definitely not a left or right winger. He is probably best as a second striker IMO. I don't think he gets through enough of the hard graft required for a player that spearheads an attack in a team like ours.

Past experience! 

We signed Maupay when Lampard had us unable to advance the ball out of our own half!

I get what you’re saying but I think it just depends. Sure, when you’re signing players you want to have input from the manager and bring in players that fit his vision. Totally agree. My point is more that ultimately the manager’s job is to get the most out of his talent and put them in a position to be successful. 

If you have a striker who is great in the air you’d want to play in a way where lots of crosses came into the box. We also see it a lot where a player gets played out of position or is asked to do things that aren’t their strength and suffers for it. To me, if you’re a great manager you find a system that works best for your players rather than forcing them into something that won’t get the best out of them. Adaptability.

3 minutes ago, SpartyBlue said:

I get what you’re saying but I think it just depends. Sure, when you’re signing players you want to have input from the manager and bring in players that fit his vision. Totally agree. My point is more that ultimately the manager’s job is to get the most out of his talent and put them in a position to be successful. 

If you have a striker who is great in the air you’d want to play in a way where lots of crosses came into the box. We also see it a lot where a player gets played out of position or is asked to do things that aren’t their strength and suffers for it. To me, if you’re a great manager you find a system that works best for your players rather than forcing them into something that won’t get the best out of them. Adaptability.

I agree to a degree, yet we didn’t change our system to suit Maupay, we still played to him the same ball we would have played to DCL, it was never going to work or play to the little ability Maupay has, in your opinion that’s poor management is it not. 

1 minute ago, Palfy said:

I agree to a degree, yet we didn’t change our system to suit Maupay, we still played to him the same ball we would have played to DCL, it was never going to work or play to the little ability Maupay has, in your opinion that’s poor management is it not. 

I think if we know Maupay is a different player than DCL and we play the ball to him like he’s DCL then, yes, it’s a mistake. It’s not always that easy of course as you try to take the strengths of the whole team into account but we were very poor at putting the ball in the net last season. I think we can agree that continually throwing in crosses to a short striker who is more effective with the ball at his feet is a bad idea. 

At the least you tweak your system to fit the type of players you have. If you had a prime Baines/Coleman you’d never want to ask them to stay back defensively. You wouldn’t be getting the most out of them even if that’s the type of approach you prefer as a manager.

6 hours ago, SpartyBlue said:

But what if the rest of your squad are crap at crossing? 

Do you change every players role to get the best out of them even if it sacrifices team or do you sacrifice the individual for the benefit of the team? 

6 hours ago, RPG said:

I think it is a situation which should evolve as the manager has longer with the club.

Initially, he has to get the best out of the players he has inherited and that means picking a style that is suited to the existing players strengths.

But, the manager (and DOF) should know the style of play which they aspire to play and bring in new players to transition to the desired style - which may take a couple of seasons.

The managerial art seems to be in managing the transition.

Which is why our club needs managerial stability. 

7 hours ago, Bailey said:

But what if the rest of your squad are crap at crossing? 

Do you change every players role to get the best out of them even if it sacrifices team or do you sacrifice the individual for the benefit of the team? 

I touched on that a bit but that is certainly the balance, yes. Ultimately you want the best team results and you do that by putting as many players as you can in a position to be successful. If you run into conflicts while doing that, well those are the decision managers get paid for.

I will say that putting your striker in the best position possible to score is likely going to be where a manager leans as that’s going to be more important than ensuring some other players strengths are catered to.

1 hour ago, SpartyBlue said:

I touched on that a bit but that is certainly the balance, yes. Ultimately you want the best team results and you do that by putting as many players as you can in a position to be successful. If you run into conflicts while doing that, well those are the decision managers get paid for.

I will say that putting your striker in the best position possible to score is likely going to be where a manager leans as that’s going to be more important than ensuring some other players strengths are catered to.

At the cost of the rest of the team?

For example, Maupay and Iheanacho are almost certainly best in attacking teams that create lots of chances, keeping the ball on the floor. At Brighton, the former was used more as a player the ball went through, whereas Iheanacho was played to be on the end of chances. 

We know the rest of ohr squad is completely incapable of playing the way that is required for genuine attacking football. We can't play with a high line. Our CB's aren't good on the ball under pressure. We don't have technical footballers in midfield (Garner excluded). Our wide players aren't known for their pace and directness or goal scoring ability. 

We have seen in the past what happens when we have tried to play on the front foot and it almost always leads to getting mauled on the counter attack. 

The biggest issue we have is that there is such a big difference between Dom and Maupay (and potentially Iheanacho). Its hard to make such big tweaks to how a team plays when the differences are that big. 

24 minutes ago, Bailey said:

For example, Maupay and Iheanacho are almost certainly best in attacking teams that create lots of chances, keeping the ball on the floor. At Brighton, the former was used more as a player the ball went through, whereas Iheanacho was played to be on the end of chances. 

We know the rest of ohr squad is completely incapable of playing the way that is required for genuine attacking football. We can't play with a high line. Our CB's aren't good on the ball under pressure. We don't have technical footballers in midfield (Garner excluded). Our wide players aren't known for their pace and directness or goal scoring ability. 

We have seen in the past what happens when we have tried to play on the front foot and it almost always leads to getting mauled on the counter attack. 

The biggest issue we have is that there is such a big difference between Dom and Maupay (and potentially Iheanacho). Its hard to make such big tweaks to how a team plays when the differences are that big. 

Exactly if you are going to buy a player to fill in for your main striker if he brings injured, you need to look for someone who can play in the same way otherwise you will have to make changes to your system just to suit one player, and you not have the right players available to make that change. Maupay is the proof that we played him in the same role as DCL and it was a disaster buying KI will have the same result unless of course Dyche is going to change how the team plays away from the one man up front who is strong can hold the ball up and has the pace to chase the ball down that goes over the top, in the the 3 players who reports say we are close to signing I see 2 wingers and a pick the pieces up in and around the box type of player, I don’t see one that comes anywhere near enough to be a replacement for DCL if we need to which is very worrying.  

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

Maupay needs lots and lots of chances…… cos his goals vs xg is shite. Whether it’s Everton or Brighton he scores less than he should….

iheanacho scores more and assists more than is expected. 

not sure where this narrative has come from that maupay is just not suited to us…. He’s shit. 

I was happy to get maupay, but I was wrong to be happy. Fuckin shite. 

5 hours ago, Palfy said:

Exactly if you are going to buy a player to fill in for your main striker if he brings injured, you need to look for someone who can play in the same way otherwise you will have to make changes to your system just to suit one player, and you not have the right players available to make that change. Maupay is the proof that we played him in the same role as DCL and it was a disaster buying KI will have the same result unless of course Dyche is going to change how the team plays away from the one man up front who is strong can hold the ball up and has the pace to chase the ball down that goes over the top, in the the 3 players who reports say we are close to signing I see 2 wingers and a pick the pieces up in and around the box type of player, I don’t see one that comes anywhere near enough to be a replacement for DCL if we need to which is very worrying.  

The only thing I can think of is if plan B is for them both to play in a 442 type set up?

5 hours ago, Hafnia said:

Maupay needs lots and lots of chances…… cos his goals vs xg is shite. Whether it’s Everton or Brighton he scores less than he should….

iheanacho scores more and assists more than is expected. 

not sure where this narrative has come from that maupay is just not suited to us…. He’s shit. 

I was happy to get maupay, but I was wrong to be happy. Fuckin shite. 

I agree about the differences about Iheanacho, but IMO he is very much a finisher and not a lot else. Therefore we are going to have to create chances. Whilst we created a couple of chances for Maupay, it was hardly lots and fact is Iheanacho wouldnt have finished all of them. So he will need chances to be created for him as well. 

Personally, I think would benefit more from someone that helps us in the build up phases more.

4 minutes ago, Bailey said:

The only thing I can think of is if plan B is for them both to play in a 442 type set up?

I agree about the differences about Iheanacho, but IMO he is very much a finisher and not a lot else. Therefore we are going to have to create chances. Whilst we created a couple of chances for Maupay, it was hardly lots and fact is Iheanacho wouldnt have finished all of them. So he will need chances to be created for him as well. 

Personally, I think would benefit more from someone that helps us in the build up phases more.

Iheancho assists far more than maupay too