IGNORED

Sheffield United 2nd Sept (Away)

dunlopp9987

They didn't deserve a point from the game but in a weird way it can be easy to look decent in games like that because you just need to sit all your players behind the ball and hope for a break on the counter. How many times have we seen a good battling display with our backs to the wall against a top side, followed by lots of comments like "if we do that next week we will win" only to come unstuck against one of the lower league sides. 

2 hours ago, Bailey said:

They didn't deserve a point from the game but in a weird way it can be easy to look decent in games like that because you just need to sit all your players behind the ball and hope for a break on the counter. How many times have we seen a good battling display with our backs to the wall against a top side, followed by lots of comments like "if we do that next week we will win" only to come unstuck against one of the lower league sides. 

Let’s hope they implement the same tactics against us and sit all of their players in a defensive position behind the ball, I somehow think they won’t they will be more attacking against us mainly because they know we are struggling to score, and they will gamble that we won’t score.  

20 hours ago, Palfy said:

Let’s hope they implement the same tactics against us and sit all of their players in a defensive position behind the ball, I somehow think they won’t they will be more attacking against us mainly because they know we are struggling to score, and they will gamble that we won’t score.  

I think that is what we would want them to do (try and attack us). I don't really see us breaking down a stubborn defence so if we need 20 chances before we score, we have a higher likelihood of that happening if they play to win and leave space for us to exploit.

28 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I think that is what we would want them to do (try and attack us). I don't really see us breaking down a stubborn defence so if we need 20 chances before we score, we have a higher likelihood of that happening if they play to win and leave space for us to exploit.

The last 2 home games we had a combined 46 attempts at goal, so I’m not convinced 20 will be enough 😂

I'm going to this game, my first away game in a long long time.

Looking forward to visting an older stadium than Goodison!

However the downside is I'm going in with the Sheffield United crowd going with a couple of season ticket holders who had a spare seat!  Everton haven't done much to make me celebrate so far this season but hopefully they do this time!

Surely Calvert-Lewin should be available for this game now and if so I'd expect him to start with Beto and Chermiti on the bench.

It would be good to have Danjuma and Dobbin start but I don't think he'll drop Garner so will drop Dobbin.

I think last nights win will have a big psychological differance for us going in to this game. Forget the first half, as the starting line up will be much closer to what we saw in the second half. It was only against Doncaster, but a wins a win.

I think the team not scoring and no 'striker' in the team was getting to be a massive monkey on our back - I fancy Danjuma to get on the score sheet again tomorrow, I think he will benefit massivley from last nights goal.

• There have been just five goals scored in the five Premier League meetings between Sheffield United (two) and Everton (three) at Bramall Lane, with no side scoring more than once in any of those games.

• Both the Blades and the Toffees have lost each of their first three league games this season; this will be only the fifth occasion of two sides facing each other on 0 points in a Premier League match having both played at least three games, after Southampton v Swindon in August 1993, Portsmouth v Bolton in September 2009, Sheff Utd v Fulham in October 2020 and Arsenal v Norwich in September 2021.

• Everton are yet to score or pick up a point in the Premier League this season. Only in 1926-27 (first five) and 1958-59 (first six) have the Toffees ever lost each of their opening four games of a league season in their history, while in English top-flight history, only four sides have ever lost and failed to score in their first four fixtures: Derby in 1899-1900, Stoke in 1906-07, Preston in 1924-25 and Crystal Palace in 2017-18.

• Sheffield United are averaging fewer shots per game than any other Premier League side so far this season (seven), while also facing more than any other side (23.3 per game). However, Everton are yet to score despite averaging 14.3 shots and 1.6 xG per game.

4 minutes ago, Btay said:

Landed in Hanoi last night for a holiday with the missus as I haven’t been home a lot with her but I’ve already scoped out a sports bar & told her I found a good bar with cheap drinks. She will be fuming when she realises it’s all for Everton but 6:30pm kick off & I won’t be missing that. 

At the other end of the Pacific this one is a 4:30 am kick off and I just can't get up that early .  Have a wedding to go to tomorrow and supposed to be giving a speech. Hate to miss this one,  expecting  a much better performance than Villa.  

Just now, chicagoblue said:

At the other end of the Pacific this one is a 4:30 am kick off and I just can't get up that early .  Have a wedding to go to tomorrow and supposed to be giving a speech. Hate to miss this one,  expecting  a much better performance than Villa.  

This is a nice change from the midnight games for me - mind you this one would be 9:30pm in Aus which is decent!