IGNORED

Ashley Young

KillaGTiR

1 hour ago, Romey 1878 said:

The easy acceptance of this signing just shows what Moshiri and Kenwright have done to this club.

I can’t wait for the day they’re both fucking gone. 

I felt more anger at the sale of a 17 year old.  I actually think young is a superb pro and will seriously up the standards at finch farm. He will set an example. 

are we buying him cos we are having to watch every penny cos we need players who can score goals? Yep and we know who is to blame for that. 

club is a fuckin disgrace. 

The positives are that he has won things and been part of successful clubs. Even when Emery joined, he played the majority of games (RB). He is also versatile, covering up to 4 positions. He would also be our best attacking fullback in respect of the quality he can provide in the final third. 

The negatives are that he is clearly past his best, however he doesnt seem to be picking up lots of injuries. He did only finish 4 games since February. If we started Coleman and him as full backs there is a good chance both would have to come off before the end of the game. This also raises the question as to how much actual cover he can provide. I assume he is there as a left back, so what happens if Mykolenko is injured? Do we play 75 mins of Young and then when we are chasing the game, bring in Godfrey? Do we have to change system and take McNeil out of his most dangerous position? 

As I have mentioned before, I am also concerned he will want far too much in wages too. 

This represents everything we shouldn't be doing in the Transfer Market. 

Way passed his prime. Definitely not an improvement on any player we have and high wages.

I can't tell you how angry it makes me feel that we would even for a second consider this as a good option.

50 minutes ago, Trigger said:

Definitely not an improvement on any player we have and high wages.

If you’re expecting to see anyone come in who an improvement on anyone we have then you’ll be disappointed for a long time. 
His wages won’t be huge, his money had gone down a lot since he left United. He’s not stupid, he knows he won’t get loads at his age. 

Anything over £35k a week is too much.

We must be mad selling a 17 year old left back who has played for England at every level up to Under 21 for next to nothing and then buy in a 37 year has been who was never even that great when he was in his prime 7+ years ago.

We are seriously f***ed if this what our transfer window is going to be like 

Might as well get it over and done with and just ask to be put in the championship.

21 minutes ago, Trigger said:

Anything over £35k a week is too much.

We must be mad selling a 17 year old left back who has played for England at every level up to Under 21 for next to nothing and then buy in a 37 year has been who was never even that great when he was in his prime 7+ years ago.

We are seriously f***ed if this what our transfer window is going to be like 

Might as well get it over and done with and just ask to be put in the championship.

Not that great... but still the player who has played at the highest level and won the most trophies of anyone else in our squad (not checked).

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

Not that great... but still the player who has played at the highest level and won the most trophies of anyone else in our squad (not checked).

History is littered with bit part average players in great teams that have medals and trophies. Ashley Young is one of those. Take Ashley Young out of that Man Utd team and replace with any slightly above average player and they still win what they did.

52 minutes ago, Trigger said:

History is littered with bit part average players in great teams that have medals and trophies. Ashley Young is one of those. Take Ashley Young out of that Man Utd team and replace with any slightly above average player and they still win what they did.

Im not exactly an Ashley Young fan but that is harsh on him.

He played 26 games for Inter Milan when they won the Seria A at the age of 35/36.

He played 19 times for United in their PL winning season. He played 25 times the season before when they finished 2nd. He played 30 games when they finished 2nd under Mourinho. 

He was also an important player for Villa in his first spell and then again for Emery last season.

Both teams had the resources and the players to play someone else over him and they decided to use him still for big chunks of the season. You may be right, maybe they could have still had that success without him, but put that into the context of our squad and sadly that still makes him a viable option at the age of 38. 

Just looking more at his wages, according to Sportrac he was on £50k in 21/22 for Villa (doesnt show last season). That is less than Myko (£58k) and Seamus (£55k) were last season. 

That is a lot more reasonable than expected. 

I generally dont like the idea of a signing like this but if it allows us to get another year through the FFP regs, focus on the areas we are desperate for this season and then get a proper full back in the following season then it is just about stomachable... maybe.

Plus it would be nice to have a full back that can cross.

Seems like I'm mostly alone but I don't hate this on a one year deal. I'm sure wages will be fine, he'll provide cover, and he should serve as a  veteran presence for the squad. 

It's obviously nothing to get excited about, but in my opinion given the state we're in anytime we can get adequate cover in a position of need on a free for reasonable wages I won't be upset. 

14 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

I would rather have kept Samuels-Smith personally but I am coming around to the idea of getting him in as cover and looks like it’s done now so I will back him and glad we have got him in early

I agree with this though I think we're slightly less likely to get relegated this year with Young than with Samuels-Smith.

1 minute ago, Romey 1878 said:

What a pathetic little club we’ve become when this is seen as a good move.

Pass me the bleach. 

I wouldn't say an incredible move no, but he did very well for Villa this past season and we need a veteran prescence on this team and someone who can cover more than one position which he can. Not glamorous no, but I'm ok with it. Is what is for now.

Also friend,  just drink some jello shots and you will be right.