IGNORED

Ashley Young

KillaGTiR

is this the longest running transfer thread where a transfer is still possible?  17 years since first posted! :D

Spoke to a Villa season ticket holder at work and he said 100% he'd say he's worth a years contract as would most other Villa fans.  he's still performing very well and still very fit, just not quite got as much pace as he had.

It's not the kind of first signing you want to see for the manager and as such they really need to follow him up with a decent attacking signing that isn't free or approaching retirement!

So far as a low price cover at left back goes as well as being able to cover other positions if required he ticks all the boxes.  While like many commenting back in 2010 I wasn't a big fan of him as a younger player, he has worked hard as a professional keeping playing at the top level over the last few years and i'm sure with his experience he's a top player to have in the squad.

I'd like to hope that between Patterson, Coleman, Garner and Young we won't be without a right back this season.  Whilst at Left back it would give us 2 options

Ok, maybe not a signing that is going to be getting the pulses racing, but a model pro and wise shoulders to have in what is currently a thread bear squad. Played an average of 67min in 20 games under Emery last season (as a right back), so has to be considered a part of Villa's second half of the season revival. However, Villa's goals this season are not the same as ours, so I can see why Young is not being signed up for another season. 

As we have leant this past few seasons; Premiership survival is the first and foremost target. I would think Young, at least for this season, will be a positive addition in attaining this vital goal. Until our 'financial' situation is sorted out, we do have to work a little season to season with some of our signing.

As sad a situation as it is the signing of a 38 year old Young does currently strengthen our squad for the 23/24 season. 

I don't think I have every seen a player who has played in some many positions. 

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/ashley-young/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/14086

6 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

What a time to be alive.

I don't know what my response would've been if you told me Ashley Young would be our first summer signing... Just really bizarre. Almost feels as weird as when we signed Samuel Eto'o under Martinez.

6 hours ago, Hafnia said:

He will be far less disappointing than 90% of the signings we made in the past 7 years. 

At least our expectations are low on this one. No long term contract or big transfer fee means the financial downside to this one is next to nothing as well. I have no idea how this signing will go, but props to him for maintaining such a high level playing career for so long and into his late 30s. Surely it at least speaks to his work ethic and professionalism.

He's a top pro that brings much needed experienced and reliable cover.

If we can get 20 - 25 games out if him across multiple positions that we need cover for, he'll prove to be better than the vast majority of players we've paid 20, 25, 30mill for.

Is it exciting? No. Is it gonna rocket us upto the mighty heights of 10th? No. But its a safe option...we need plenty of those I think!

our squad will be stronger next season with him in the club. Will keep Mykolenko on his toes, if not out of the starting 11. These kind of '12month' signing gives you breathing room on developing a squad. Both left and right back positions now covered for this season? The bigger money spends can be elsewhere in the squad - its fucking needed.