Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
AlbanyNYToffee

Record against top 6

Recommended Posts

It's abysmal.

  2011-12 2012-13 2013-14 2014-15 2015-16 2016-17 2017-18 2018-19 Record Points
Man U 0-1 4-4 1-0 0-2 2-0 1-0 3-0 1-2 0-3 0-1 1-1 1-1 0-2 0-4     4-3-7 15
City 1-0 0-2 2-0 1-1 2-3 1-3 1-1 0-1 0-2 0-0 4-0 1-1 1-3 1-1     3-5-6 14
Chelsea 2-0 1-3 1-2 1-2 1-0 0-1 3-6 0-1 3-1 3-3 0-3 0-5 0-0 0-2     3-2-9 11
Arsenal  0-1 0-1 1-1 0-0 3-0 1-1 2-2 0-2 0-2 1-2 2-1 1-3 2-5 1-5     2-4-8 10
Spurs 1-0 0-2 2-1 2-2 0-0 0-1 0-1 1-2 1-1 0-0 1-1 2-3 0-3 0-4     2-5-7 11
Shite 0-2 0-3 2-2 0-0 3-3 0-4 0-0 1-1 1-1 0-4 0-1 1-3 0-0 1-1     0-8-6 8
Record 3-1-8 3-6-3 4-3-5 1-4-7 1-5-6 2-4-6 0-4-8      
Points 10 15 15 7 8 10 4    

 

Last time we beat each team in the league:

  • Utd - April 26 2015
  • City - January 15 2017
  • Chelsea - September 12 2015
  • Arsenal - December 13 2016
  • Spurs - December 9 2012
  • Shite - October 17 2010

Last time we beat a top 6 team away: December 4 2013

Record in our last 7 seasons (42 games) against top 6 away: 1 - 14 - 27

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MikeO said:

I think if you ignore the Liverpool figures we'd compare favourably against any other side outside that group (not going to do the numbers).

Completely agree. We shouldn't settle for that. We can't frankly, to get to where we want to be. It all starts here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love getting results against the big boys, and I'll point out that we can not capitulate against them like we did last year (pathetic) or be as cautious as Moyes was setting us up away from home.... But, the true key is going to be taking care of the dross home and away. Losing the past two was unacceptable (Huddy and WHU).

I want to regain that ability to knock off the big boys, but I want more consistency across the board (refinding form away from home, beating weak teams)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Quinn31 said:

I love getting results against the big boys, and I'll point out that we can not capitulate against them like we did last year (pathetic) or be as cautious as Moyes was setting us up away from home.... But, the true key is going to be taking care of the dross home and away. Losing the past two was unacceptable (Huddy and WHU).

I want to regain that ability to knock off the big boys, but I want more consistency across the board (refinding form away from home, beating weak teams)

agreed with the underlined.  i understand an outlier here or there but the easiest way to become part of the top 6 is to beat the lower sides.  it's 26 matches, 78 points available.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Quinn31 said:

I love getting results against the big boys, and I'll point out that we can not capitulate against them like we did last year (pathetic) or be as cautious as Moyes was setting us up away from home.... But, the true key is going to be taking care of the dross home and away. Losing the past two was unacceptable (Huddy and WHU).

I want to regain that ability to knock off the big boys, but I want more consistency across the board (refinding form away from home, beating weak teams)

We didn’t lose to Huddersfield but the draw was just as unacceptable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it’s fair to say after ten games we will know about what can of season we will have. Silva has had no where near a settled first eleven. Just want us to go out and have a go at the big boys. Once Bernard is settled I think he will give us that composure and confidence you need to keep the ball and look for the forward pass 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since 14-15 we have got worse against the top six but still finished mid table and above that to me is a good indicator of how big the gulf is getting between the top six and the rest, to bridge that gap now will take the sort of money people like Usmanov can throw at it. 

I agree we could do better against the lower teams and finish 7th or 8th but our chances of breaking into the top six are getting slimmer and slimmer every season, so if we can’t improve against the top six we are destined to stay where we are, what a shit thought. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not getting any better...

11-12: 3-1-8 10pts; 12-13: 3-6-3 15pts; 13-14: 4-3-5 15pts; 14-15: 1-4-7 7pts; 15-16: 1-5-6 8pts; 16-17: 2-4-6 10pts; 17-18 0-4-8 4pts; 18-19 0-0-2 0pts

Utd 4-3-8 15pts; City 3-5-6 14pts; Chelsea 3-2-9 11pts; Arsenal 2-4-9 10pts; Spurs 2-5-7 11pts; Shite 0-8-6 8pts

 

Last time we beat each team in the league:

  • Utd - April 26 2015
  • City - January 15 2017
  • Chelsea - September 12 2015
  • Arsenal - December 13 2016
  • Spurs - December 9 2012
  • Shite - October 17 2010

Last time we beat a top 6 team away: December 4 2013

Record in our last 7 seasons (42 games) against top 6 away: 1 - 14 - 29

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That would get you 78 points. 

Third place last season (17-18)

Joint third place (16-17)

second place (15-16) 

third place (14-15)

fifth place (13-14) we were actually fifth with 72

It seems like it’s a good base for 3rd place. I’d be more than happy with that.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, StevO said:

That would get you 78 points. 

Third place last season (17-18)

Joint third place (16-17)

second place (15-16) 

third place (14-15)

fifth place (13-14) we were actually fifth with 72

It seems like it’s a good base for 3rd place. I’d be more than happy with that.

 

 

I would be ok with that too.  City and Liverpool drew, Chelsea and united drew.  The top teams aren’t necessarily beating each other either.  So wins against the minnows and draw against the top 6 and you’re close to there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Schedule oddity - all 6 games away in first half, all 6 games home in second half. Goal difference so far: -10. When we face City in February it will have been more than 2 years since our last league win against the top 6. 

11-12: 3-1-8 10pts; 12-13: 3-6-3 15pts; 13-14: 4-3-5 15pts; 14-15: 1-4-7 7pts; 15-16: 1-5-6 8pts; 16-17: 2-4-6 10pts; 17-18 0-4-8 4pts; 18-19 0-1-5 1pt

Utd 4-3-9 15pts; City 3-5-7 14pts; Chelsea 3-3-9 12pts; Spurs 2-5-8 11pts; Arsenal 2-4-9 10pts; Shite 0-8-7 8pts

Last time we beat each team in the league:

  • Utd - April 26 2015
  • City - January 15 2017
  • Chelsea - September 12 2015
  • Arsenal - December 13 2016
  • Spurs - December 9 2012
  • Shite - October 17 2010

Last time we beat a top 6 team away: December 4 2013

Record since 11-12 in games against top 6 away: 1 - 15 - 32

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, AlbanyNYToffee said:

Schedule oddity - all 6 games away in first half, all 6 games home in second half. Goal difference so far: -10. When we face City in February it will have been more than 2 years since our last league win against the top 6. 

11-12: 3-1-8 10pts; 12-13: 3-6-3 15pts; 13-14: 4-3-5 15pts; 14-15: 1-4-7 7pts; 15-16: 1-5-6 8pts; 16-17: 2-4-6 10pts; 17-18 0-4-8 4pts; 18-19 0-1-5 1pt

Utd 4-3-9 15pts; City 3-5-7 14pts; Chelsea 3-3-9 12pts; Spurs 2-5-8 11pts; Arsenal 2-4-9 10pts; Shite 0-8-7 8pts

Last time we beat each team in the league:

  • Utd - April 26 2015
  • City - January 15 2017
  • Chelsea - September 12 2015
  • Arsenal - December 13 2016
  • Spurs - December 9 2012
  • Shite - October 17 2010

Last time we beat a top 6 team away: December 4 2013

Record since 11-12 in games against top 6 away: 1 - 15 - 32

Wanna give that an upvote for your compiling all of it, but that’s too depressing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wolves have been on fire against the top 6 this season! Look like a real threat their fans must be loving it.

8 more points aginst us compared to the top 6 which is fantastic for them. But they're only 2 points above us in the table.

A better record against the top 6 would certainly show our level in this league, but it doesn't make the teams that gain more points against them better than us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its because Wolves dont try and shot for shot against them. They stick to their plan and pick their moments, which in fairness we have done in most of those games but have fallen away from recently. We have become a bit loose and gung ho, almost from the Newcastle game (albeit we were chasing). Since then we have been too open IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Must give credit to team for turning this picture around in recent weeks.

11-12: 3-1-8 10pts; 12-13: 3-6-3 15pts; 13-14: 4-3-5 15pts; 14-15: 1-4-7 7pts; 15-16: 1-5-6 8pts; 16-17: 2-4-6 10pts; 17-18 0-4-8 4pts; 18-19 3-2-6 10pts

Utd 5-3-9 18pts; City 3-5-8 14pts; Chelsea 4-3-9 15pts; Spurs 2-5-8 11pts; Arsenal 3-4-9 13pts; Shite 0-9-7 9pts

Last time we beat each team in the league:

  • Utd - April 26 2015 UPDATE: APRIL 21 2019
  • City - January 15 2017
  • Chelsea - September 12 2015 UPDATE: MARCH 17 2019
  • Arsenal - December 13 2016 UPDATE: APRIL 7 2019
  • Spurs - December 9 2012
  • Shite - October 17 2010

Last time we beat a top 6 team away: December 4 2013

Record since 11-12 in games against top 6 away: 1 - 15 - 32

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AlbanyNYToffee said:

Must give credit to team for turning this picture around in recent weeks.

11-12: 3-1-8 10pts; 12-13: 3-6-3 15pts; 13-14: 4-3-5 15pts; 14-15: 1-4-7 7pts; 15-16: 1-5-6 8pts; 16-17: 2-4-6 10pts; 17-18 0-4-8 4pts; 18-19 3-2-6 10pts

Utd 5-3-9 18pts; City 3-5-8 14pts; Chelsea 4-3-9 15pts; Spurs 2-5-8 11pts; Arsenal 3-4-9 13pts; Shite 0-9-7 9pts

Last time we beat each team in the league:

  • Utd - April 26 2015 UPDATE: APRIL 21 2019
  • City - January 15 2017
  • Chelsea - September 12 2015 UPDATE: MARCH 17 2019
  • Arsenal - December 13 2016 UPDATE: APRIL 7 2019
  • Spurs - December 9 2012
  • Shite - October 17 2010

Last time we beat a top 6 team away: December 4 2013

Record since 11-12 in games against top 6 away: 1 - 15 - 32

Yeah, but nothing has changed mate, so your facts are wrong...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AlbanyNYToffee said:

Must give credit to team for turning this picture around in recent weeks.

11-12: 3-1-8 10pts; 12-13: 3-6-3 15pts; 13-14: 4-3-5 15pts; 14-15: 1-4-7 7pts; 15-16: 1-5-6 8pts; 16-17: 2-4-6 10pts; 17-18 0-4-8 4pts; 18-19 3-2-6 10pts

Utd 5-3-9 18pts; City 3-5-8 14pts; Chelsea 4-3-9 15pts; Spurs 2-5-8 11pts; Arsenal 3-4-9 13pts; Shite 0-9-7 9pts

Last time we beat each team in the league:

  • Utd - April 26 2015 UPDATE: APRIL 21 2019
  • City - January 15 2017
  • Chelsea - September 12 2015 UPDATE: MARCH 17 2019
  • Arsenal - December 13 2016 UPDATE: APRIL 7 2019
  • Spurs - December 9 2012
  • Shite - October 17 2010

Last time we beat a top 6 team away: December 4 2013

Record since 11-12 in games against top 6 away: 1 - 15 - 32

You do realise that is all done in spite of our manager don't you? Nothing to do with him....

If we finished on 38 points he would be getting sacked and taking the blame.. but don't let that detract from the fact that those good results are nothing to do with him. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He's the same distance from the top 6 as Alladyce who inherited the Koeman mess. Silva has had it easier, full preseason plus 5 starters. 

Would the gap be this big of Alladyce stayed and had Digne, Zouma, Gomes, Bernard, and Richarlison to work with, I doubt it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pete0 said:

He's the same distance from the top 6 as Alladyce who inherited the Koeman mess. Silva has had it easier, full preseason plus 5 starters. 

Would the gap be this big of Alladyce stayed and had Digne, Zouma, Gomes, Bernard, and Richarlison to work with, I doubt it. 

Allerdyce is a specialist for swerving relegation by building a strong defensive foundation. 

He was called in, went back to basics with the squad and gave us a steady finish to a horrible season. 

Silva has then adopted that same mess that Allerdyce inherited us in, minus two players, and implemented a whole new style of play. This takes time, a lot more time than just drilling and team and forcing results. Look at Klopp for instance. 

In the last 10 games we are 5th in the form table, with 7 clean sheets and 14 goals, and only City and Liverpool have conceded less goals than us. 

The foundations of what Silva seems to be trying to do are starting to be layed down, a lot can be done better, like conceding two against Fulham who have won every game since they have been relegated, but hopefully that will come in time. 

I've been very disgruntled myself when we have lost games, but after calming down and having a look back on our over all form, it's encouraging. 

Allerdyce if still at the helm would have likely been on similar points, but the pattern of the season would have been completely different, including not being able to best the big sides, and implementing that style of football that not many successful modern clubs like to play. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, pete0 said:

He's the same distance from the top 6 as Alladyce who inherited the Koeman mess. Silva has had it easier, full preseason plus 5 starters. 

Would the gap be this big of Alladyce stayed and had Digne, Zouma, Gomes, Bernard, and Richarlison to work with, I doubt it. 

No - the gap would have been bigger and I wouldn’t of enjoyed 10 seconds of football he would have severed up! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, pete0 said:

Would the gap be this big of Alladyce stayed and had Digne, Zouma, Gomes, Bernard, and Richarlison to work with, I doubt it. 

They wouldn't have signed for us so it's academic, he would have signed a few 30 yr + players on 1 year deals with no long term plan apart from building his bank balance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Aidan

That's exactly what we needed though, some strong foundations to build on. Realistically we would have got Digne, Zouma, Mina, Gomes, and Bernard in as I assume they were all targeted by Brands. The main difference signing is that we'd have brought in a central midfielder rather than Richarlison.

Given what Alladyce managed to do with last seasons unbalanced mess surely it's only logical that he'd have done better with the new signings brought in. 

Silva also had us in relegation form.

As for beating the top 6, Hodgson managed to beat Arsenal away this season. Alladyce has roughly a 1 in 5 against the top 6 which is a decent record considering he was managing worse teams than us for the majority. 

@barryj

He had the likes of Anelka and Jay Jay Okocha playing decent stuff at Bolton. 

@Wiggytop

Why wouldn't they? Other than Richarlison I don't see why any of the others wouldn't have come. The Barca boys would have been brought in by Brands and Bernard probably convinced by the money. Other than Zouma would any of the players have even heard of Silva? Talking of Zouma, he only come for first team football, if anything Allardyce would have been better for him. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What has allardyce achieved in football other than being known for a brand of football that makes his own fans want him gone? Has he ever won anything? Other than a playoff final I think I'm struggling.  

Silva has won the Portuguese second division, the Portuguese cup and Greek league.... he's not even 44 yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hafnia said:

What has allardyce achieved in football other than being known for a brand of football that makes his own fans want him gone? Has he ever won anything? Other than a playoff final I think I'm struggling.  

Silva has won the Portuguese second division, the Portuguese cup and Greek league.... he's not even 44 yet.

Never been relegated so he's one step ahead of Silva there.

Done well enough to get the England job and most Newcastle fans will admit they sacked him too soon. What clubs have finished higher without him? Most end up relegated which just shows how good a job he was doing just keeping them in the league. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, pete0 said:

Never been relegated so he's one step ahead of Silva there.

Done well enough to get the England job and most Newcastle fans will admit they sacked him too soon. What clubs have finished higher without him? Most end up relegated which just shows how good a job he was going just keeping them in the league. 

Pete I just can't believe you seriously would have Allardyce over anyone. Marco got relegated with Hull after taking over in January in a hopeless position but still beat Liverpool along the way; I'd personally rather get relegated playing his way (not going to happen) than stay up playing the fat twat's anti football.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, pete0 said:

Never been relegated so he's one step ahead of Silva there.

Done well enough to get the England job and most Newcastle fans will admit they sacked him too soon. What clubs have finished higher without him? Most end up relegated which just shows how good a job he was doing just keeping them in the league. 

He got relegated with Notts County..... and he's never won a trophy!!!! Marcos won a league and a cup and a second division and when allardyce was taking his first management role Marco was 13 years old....

Sam got the England job and got sacked after one game cos he's a greedy classless twat.

Fat Sam is a consolidator, a greedy dinosaur, a bitter man who is envious of the managers who dare to play football..... all because in all his years managing all those clubs he won FUCK ALL.

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, hafnia said:

He got relegated with Notts County..... and he's never won a trophy!!!! Marcos won a league and a cup and a second division and when allardyce was taking his first management role Marco was 13 years old....

Sam got the England job and got sacked after one game cos he's a greedy classless twat.

Fat Sam is a consolidator, a greedy dinosaur, a bitter man who is envious of the managers who dare to play football..... all because in all his years managing all those clubs he won FUCK ALL.

 

 

 

 

 

There was nearly always a place for Allardyce to try and save clubs from relegation and in the main he was successful at that, but would his style and brand of football take teams to the next level I would say not a chance and would I want to see it here no I wouldn't.

 

10 hours ago, pete0 said:

Never been relegated so he's one step ahead of Silva there.

Done well enough to get the England job and most Newcastle fans will admit they sacked him too soon. What clubs have finished higher without him? Most end up relegated which just shows how good a job he was doing just keeping them in the league. 

Pete most Newcastle fans protested week in week out and forced Ashley to get rid of him, they hated his style of football it went against everything they believed in and the vast majority of Evertonians felt the same way

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, hafnia said:

What has allardyce achieved in football other than being known for a brand of football that makes his own fans want him gone? Has he ever won anything? Other than a playoff final I think I'm struggling.  

Silva has won the Portuguese second division, the Portuguese cup and Greek league.... he's not even 44 yet.

He’d have won titles with Real Madrid, don’t forget...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, plaidharper said:

Please stop making me remember that gravy guzzling fat man who shall remain nameless.

Which is why I never refer to him by his name. He is a stain on our name and Brands and Silva are doing very well at removing it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...