IGNORED

Marco Silva

Last 8 games - 16 points - 6 clean sheets.

5W - 1D - 2L

3W-1D v top 6.

2 points per game. Champions league form against good opposition as well.

This kind of football is what I could see glimpses of during the start of the season, the middle of the season was dismal. Still think we are about par for what I expected for the season. 3 wins from the last 3 would get us 7th I believe.

Still room for improvement as always but Marco deserves credit for the turnaround and probably a manager of the month award in my opinion.

56 minutes ago, Btay said:

Last 8 games - 16 points - 6 clean sheets.

5W - 1D - 2L

3W-1D v top 6.

2 points per game. Champions league form against good opposition as well.

This kind of football is what I could see glimpses of during the start of the season, the middle of the season was dismal. Still think we are about par for what I expected for the season. 3 wins from the last 3 would get us 7th I believe.

Still room for improvement as always but Marco deserves credit for the turnaround and probably a manager of the month award in my opinion.

The most important thing now is to beat those sides below us convincingly and bring this good form into next season. 

"If Everton were a boxer, we’d be talking about their footwork rather than their raw punching power, and that’s a sign of improving health."

That line is absolute gold. We'll meet our top 4 and trophy goals as our proverbial footwork improves. We can't really on punching power to be successful which is what we tried to do up until Brands' showed up and had a brilliant summer. 

35 minutes ago, Finn balor said:

Yeah think we will be in the mix next season. Say arsenal for example apart from the front two I can’t think of a player I’d have from their first eleven over ours 

Them and United look awful.  Chelsea too but if hazard leaves and they don’t get worldies in there.

4th place is there for the taking next year I really believe that.

3 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Frustrating performance today , unless you’re in the anti Europe brigade , but I thought Silva got it right again 

Good dominant performance right up until we got into the final third, get a good striker in and all boded well for next season

How did he get it right? We only made their keeper make one save. Hodgson had them set up to close the space in the final third. Silva should have went more attacking as what we were doing wasn't working. 

4 minutes ago, pete0 said:

How did he get it right? We only made their keeper make one save. Hodgson had them set up to close the space in the final third. Silva should have went more attacking as what we were doing wasn't working. 

Are you completely ignoring the part where I said right up until the final third?

Silva got it right because we completely dominated the game, we played some very good football and got in some great positions to hurt them but then either the final ball was poor( not Silva’s fault) or the finishing was poor ( also not Silva’s fault)

3 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Are you completely ignoring the part where I said right up until the final third?

Silva got it right because we completely dominated the game, we played some very good football and got in some great positions to hurt them but then either the final ball was poor( not Silva’s fault) or the finishing was poor ( also not Silva’s fault)

No, but it's Crystal Palace I expect us to have the ball. We failed to break them down. Hodgson got it right, he set up to be difficult to break down. Silva had no answer. 

1 hour ago, pete0 said:

No, but it's Crystal Palace I expect us to have the ball. We failed to break them down. Hodgson got it right, he set up to be difficult to break down. Silva had no answer. 

Can’t blame him for having faith in his front 4 with how they have played of late. It’s football.

16 minutes ago, Btay said:

Can’t blame him for having faith in his front 4 with how they have played of late. It’s football.

Just goes to show the games we won was more a case of the opposition having bad days. Fulham and Palace didn't just let us have space for fun and we struggled. Doesn't help that we have no plan B either. 

15 minutes ago, pete0 said:

Just goes to show the games we won was more a case of the opposition having bad days. Fulham and Palace didn't just let us have space for fun and we struggled. Doesn't help that we have no plan B either. 

Let's get lardiola back in eh Pete..... we know how much you love your basics...... you must have enjoyed watching palace today..... lardiola esque. 

32 minutes ago, hafnia said:

Let's get lardiola back in eh Pete..... we know how much you love your basics...... you must have enjoyed watching palace today..... lardiola esque. 

Defensively they were very good. Don't know how anyone can be happy with what Silva is serving up. Same thing every week, and no plan B. 

13 hours ago, pete0 said:

22 efforts on goal! Failed to break them down? 

Surely you see that’s the players not getting them on target and not the manager? Surely? 

10 minutes ago, Shukes said:

22 efforts on goal! Failed to break them down? 

Surely you see that’s the players not getting them on target and not the manager? Surely? 

Palace were compact and defended well that's why most weren't on target, most were headers from crosses or pop shots. I don't think we created any clear chances, the expected goal stat says 1.15 goals from the chances we had, I assume that must be the Tosun one that was a good save. Other than that we didn't bother the keeper and you'd not expect us to with the chances we made/had. 

The rule of thumb is you should never press heavily compact sides. It makes them even more compact. We should have kept the ball in the middle, pull them out of their shell and kill them with precise through balls in the opened spaces. If we're unable to create spaces for our attackers, we can't expect the opposition will unlock by itself.

We are always better against teams who attack us. teams with ten men behind the ball has been tough for us. Next season a lot of teams will put ten men behind the ball and that will be Marco’s biggest challenge. We’ll need to find a bit of magic to get through those games. 

We dominated the game yesterday, unfortunately the game showed DCLs biggest weakness. He can’t finish chances off yet. 

Their keeper made a few good saves too. We have to take our chances. Still not a bad result, let’s hope Burnley are on the beach come Friday night.