IGNORED

Leicester City (Carabao Cup Home) Wednesday Decemeber 18th

markjazzbassist

Although Marco didn't have us doing well in the League, he actually cared about the cup tournaments (i for one applaud that) and we are still in the League Cup!  Leicester will play the Rodgers way which is attacking football in that 4141 he's got now, we all remember him from his time at Anfield.  For us it just depends on who we have as the manager.  If it's Big Dunc, his old school 442 is often the kryptonite for modern attacking football (see Mou, Ranieri).  If it's a new manager then it's all bets are off.  I"ll just act like it's Dunc.  I would hope we are this far we would play our strongest players.  I would also hope Leicester are hoping to get top 4 and would play reserve players in this match :)

Pickford

Sidibe Holgate Mina Baines

Davies Morgan Gylfi Bernard

Richarlison DCL

1 hour ago, Finn balor said:

There’s no reason for Rodgers not to fancy winning the tournament seen as they are second in the league 

In the eight days after this game Leicester are playing Man City away and Liverpool at home; as you say they're currently second in the league and I'm pretty sure would most likely take a CL spot over the League Cup at the end of the season if offered one of the two so I can see Rodgers making changes. Maybe not a lot but if he watched the way we tackled today is he really going to risk his best against the new "dogs of war"?

12 minutes ago, MikeO said:

In the eight days after this game Leicester are playing Man City away and Liverpool at home; as you say they're currently second in the league and I'm pretty sure would most likely take a CL spot over the League Cup at the end of the season if offered one of the two so I can see Rodgers making changes. Maybe not a lot but if he watched the way we tackled today is he really going to risk his best against the new "dogs of war"?

My thoughts exactly which plays into our hands.

5 hours ago, Palfy said:

I would put out the strongest team available, with big Dunc getting them in the zone we’ve still got a great chance to win some silver ware this season, and turn what has been a disappointing season to date with a trip to Wembley. 

I'm currently against Dunc staying in charge for too long, however could you imagine if we lifted a cup under him? 

7 hours ago, Palfy said:

I would put out the strongest team available, with big Dunc getting them in the zone we’ve still got a great chance to win some silver ware this season, and turn what has been a disappointing season to date with a trip to Wembley. 

100% agree mate

10 hours ago, Aidan said:

I'm currently against Dunc staying in charge for too long, however could you imagine if we lifted a cup under him? 

The only times we have won things in my lifetime is with managers with an Everton heritage.... Howard Kendall and Joe Royle. 

Dunc has a good few days to rid the team of the nonsensical fanning about at the back.... inviting the high press. 

Pickford needs to work on calibrating his kicking and understanding that going long doesn't mean kick it as far as he can.... to the other keeper.

1 hour ago, Hafnia said:

The only times we have won things in my lifetime is with managers with an Everton heritage.... Howard Kendall and Joe Royle. 

Dunc has a good few days to rid the team of the nonsensical fanning about at the back.... inviting the high press. 

Pickford needs to work on calibrating his kicking and understanding that going long doesn't mean kick it as far as he can.... to the other keeper.

Pickfords kicking has been better. The rot seems to have gone all the way through the team of late. 

1 minute ago, markjazzbassist said:

So many injuries and illness you do wonder if the kids will be called upon.  Beni Gordon and the like

I’d expect Sidibe and Sig to have gotten over their illness by then. Whether they’ll play is another matter entirely. No need to play Digne though, best not to risk him. 

Pickford

Sid   Keane   Mina   Baines

Iwobi   Siggy     Davies   Bernard

DCL   Richarlison

Sid back in for Coleman, he's had a good run of form and if fit deserves to keep his place.

Tough decision between Keane and Holgate. Holgate had a great game at Old Trafford, but in midfield. I've not been impressed with him at CB and still doubt if he can make it in that position at this level.

Iwobi or Walcott on the right, not too fussed either way. Maybe save Walcotts pace for the back line of Arsenal.

Siggy and Davies as the pair in midfield - worked okay against Chelsea.

Was thinking of having Richy on the left to cover for Baines, but he has looked really good up top with DCL so I hope we leave that be - plus Bernard isn't afraid of doing the nitty gritty.

I dont think this is the match to be putting Kean into after what happened at United, lets treat this game as a priority.

Leicester drew their last game after a great run, so confidence wont be as high as it could be, plus they might wish to focus on the league more than the cup this year, but I'm not sure. This is a home tie and i expect the players to be more than up for getting to the semis.

Given all the injuries we have we need to try and protect as many at risk players as we can. I would go with this (assuming illnesses have cleared):

Pickford

Sidibe - Keane - Mina - Baines

Iwobi - Siggy - Holgate - Bernard

Richarlison - Kean

Davies was constantly roasted against Leicester last time and I don't see him as someone who can easily play 3 games a week. 

DCL has put everything into the last 2 games and again we don't want to wear him down with a busy Xmas period to come and I think it would help repair the relationship with Kean if he was thrown in here. I'm not sure he is the smartest and therefore it remains to be seen how he responds but assuming his training is good then we could see a positive reaction from him.

The rest pick themselves with Gordon coming on for one of the wide players down the stretch. Probably Beni or Adeniran for Holgate if he picks up a booking.

Should be a cracking atmosphere. Let’s hope we have sidibe and gilfi in contention. Would like to see

Pickford 

sidibe.         Mina.    Holgate.   Baines 

charly           Davies.  Gilfi.      Bernard

DCl.    Kean 

25 minutes ago, Finn balor said:

Should be a cracking atmosphere. Let’s hope we have sidibe and gilfi in contention. Would like to see

Pickford 

sidibe.         Mina.    Holgate.   Baines 

charly           Davies.  Gilfi.      Bernard

DCl.    Kean 

👌