IGNORED

Longest Thread For Drivel (or the Romelu Lukaku thread)

32 minutes ago, johnh said:

Haf,  I remember once playing an Amateur Cup game against Reckitts & Coleman at their sports ground.  The pitch was like a bowling green. The club house can be summed up in one word 'luxury'.  Expensive tiles, underfloor heating in the dressing rooms, power showers. They provided all our players and officials with a large pack of their products.  I felt a bit guilty after we beat them 10 - 0!  I remember thinking, after the game, I wish I could play on a pitch like that every week.

I played in the ellesmere port premier league.... on a pitch called luton road.  Shopping trollies on it, dog muck the lot.  You learned the art of controlling a mitre multiplex on that field....

Played at Prenton park and it was awful..... Seriously bad.  Played at Chesters ground.... biggest pitch I have ever played on, it wasn't bad either.  

The best I've played on was Anfield... absolutely ridiculous. Not one blade of grass out of place. Won the penno shoot out there.

Would love to play at goodison before we move. 

On 16/02/2020 at 18:08, Hafnia said:

John.... imagine him playing on the pitches you did? In the boots you played in, with centre halves being allowed to go through the back of you? Absolutely no chance...  they play in slippers with football's that float, on the most perfect of pitches.  

I'd argue that the old balls were a lot easier to control. That might just be my first touch worsening as the years go on though! 😂

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Don’t know what to make of that really, pleased he’s doing well, and we have eventually found a couple of replacements for his goals in DCL and Richarlison, and Haf would be right in saying and a lot more. 

21 hours ago, Palfy said:

Don’t know what to make of that really, pleased he’s doing well, and we have eventually found a couple of replacements for his goals in DCL and Richarlison, and Haf would be right in saying and a lot more. 

There have been players that I was gutted to see leave us .... Rooney, Lineker, Trevor Steven, Kanchekskis, Arteta, and Barkley strangely enough.

Never once concerned me that Rom was leaving.  I understood he scored goals but I knew it was a false economy and I knew we would be better for a less prolific goalscorer with better ability 

I think he will do well in Italy until he feels he's made his point. Then once that motivation has gone he will revert to type.

Love watching DCL and Richarlison. I identify with them... the club means something to them, they are focused on the team rest as opposed individual glory. 

• 2 months later...
On 16/02/2020 at 21:04, Hafnia said:

I played in the ellesmere port premier league.... on a pitch called luton road.  Shopping trollies on it, dog muck the lot.  You learned the art of controlling a mitre multiplex on that field....

had, I was born and grew up in Ellesmere Port, born at home in Suffolk Avenue which is off Luton Rd. 
I played in the junior Sunday leagues, so know all about the turds and trolleys of E Port!

21 hours ago, Wiggytop said:

had, I was born and grew up in Ellesmere Port, born at home in Suffolk Avenue which is off Luton Rd. 
I played in the junior Sunday leagues, so know all about the turds and trolleys of E Port!

Had my eye gouged in a game, opposition team launched fireworks into our changing rooms.  Teammate bitten standing in a well waiting for free kick..... lovely league! 

• 3 months later...
17 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

Led his team to second in the table (one point behind winners Juve) and the Europa league final.  Scoring goals left right and header all the way.  Not bad for a flat track bully ;)

I think he's found his level.  

Game is made for him in Italy. Mason Greenwood matched lukakus tally for 18/19 in a fraction of minutes played.

Similar situation to Forlan.

Ashley young looks like a prime Ashley Cole in that league at wing back.

2 hours ago, Hafnia said:

Game is made for him in Italy. Mason Greenwood matched lukakus tally for 18/19 in a fraction of minutes played.

I hope you’re not putting Italian football down as well below the PL, because if that’s the case we are fucked nearly every player we are linked to is from Napoli😉

2 hours ago, Hafnia said:

i've always rated lukaku, i've always rated Antonio Conte as well.  He is an excellent manager and seems to get the most from his players.  he's done well with castoffs lukaku, alexis sanchez, and others.  some youngsters on that squad who were nobodies are looking like worldies too (barella, sensi).  its going to be a nice final.

3 hours ago, Hafnia said:

I'm surprised by that. Its a tactical and technical league. Didnt think that would suit Lukaku at all being one footed and no first touch.

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

I hope you’re not putting Italian football down as well below the PL, because if that’s the case we are fucked nearly every player we are linked to is from Napoli😉

It's a risk yeah.  Andy (elpivote) on toffeetv always says he's very sceptical of Italian league buys in the premier league. 

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

I'm surprised by that. Its a tactical and technical league. Didnt think that would suit Lukaku at all being one footed and no first touch.

2 goals in 2 games against the team that finished 6th is the pinnacle of his big game performances.

His touch isnt as badly penalised as conte has a partner for him and plays it through.... like I said that would be the only way to use him. 

He's doing well though.... but as I say Ashley Young looks like a young Ashley Cole there.... per kroldrup managed a career in that league.

4 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

2 goals in 2 games against the team that finished 6th is the pinnacle of his big game performances.

His touch isnt as badly penalised as conte has a partner for him and plays it through.... like I said that would be the only way to use him. 

He's doing well though.... but as I say Ashley Young looks like a young Ashley Cole there.... per kroldrup managed a career in that league.

Ashley young is playing as a wingback in conte’s system which suits him better than a fullback or winger.  Conte made victor moses and Marcos Alonso (two former busts) into standouts as well in his system.  That has nothing to do with the league and everything to do with the manager. 

43 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

He has scored 33 goals this season in all comps. I wish we had a player that could that many. Do we even have a player that has scored half that?

14 hours ago, Bailey said:

Don't believe people are still calling one-footed, put that one to bed four years ago...

http://www.toffeetalk.com/topic/28171-martinez-wins-£10m-compensation-for-being-sacked/?do=findComment&comment=538139

10 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

Ashley young is playing as a wingback in conte’s system which suits him better than a fullback or winger.  Conte made victor moses and Marcos Alonso (two former busts) into standouts as well in his system.  That has nothing to do with the league and everything to do with the manager. 

Mjb..... it's an easier league. FFS the likes of Beckham moved there when his pace had slowed down to a crawl.  Milan had a team of veterans,  seedorf was playing at 36. Inzaghi retired at 38....

In our league anyone lacking pace is finished.  Over there, anyone with pace looks like usain bolt.  

They do have great technical players and lukaku will do well there because of his athleticism and finishing. 

Put it this way... I was listening to talk sport when working yesterday and not one man United fan wanted him back.  They are far happier with their forward line without him. 

12 minutes ago, Matt said:

He has Eriksson. All he’s ever needed was someone with knowledge how to pass in front off him. 

I've seen all his goals. Some really nice ones with left foot strikes but invariably it's down to numbers in the box from a dominant team, a decent amount of penalties.  Having a second footballing forward has allowed him space, Martinez is a very well rounded player.

2 out of his first 16 goals were from balls played in front of him.

Dare I say it, goals against the likes of breschiaand Genoa were cringe.... awful defending and goalkeeping. 

I said ages ago that he would have done well as an option for man city if pep had 2 strikers. In a dominant side like he does with Belgium he will score goals. 

41 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

I've seen all his goals. Some really nice ones with left foot strikes but invariably it's down to numbers in the box from a dominant team, a decent amount of penalties.  Having a second footballing forward has allowed him space, Martinez is a very well rounded player.

2 out of his first 16 goals were from balls played in front of him.

Dare I say it, goals against the likes of breschiaand Genoa were cringe.... awful defending and goalkeeping. 

I said ages ago that he would have done well as an option for man city if pep had 2 strikers. In a dominant side like he does with Belgium he will score goals. 

Exactly, people laying things on a plate for him

3 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

Which is why ole wanted him out.  He wanted 3 forwards who could play and be creative.

If you could choose Greenwood or lukaku.... who would you have? 

lukaku, i have no idea who mason greewood is.  it's he the scottish kid that plays center mid?  i know martial, lingard, rashford, never heard of that kid but then again i don't follow united.

Just now, markjazzbassist said:

lukaku, i have no idea who mason greewood is.  it's he the scottish kid that plays center mid?  i know martial, lingard, rashford, never heard of that kid but then again i don't follow united.

Mason Greenwood is going to break records.   Lethal, fast, skilful.....   I would happily pay £120m for him right now.