IGNORED

Longest Thread For Sport Talk

On 12/02/2019 at 22:49, MikeO said:

Didn't know this...

Capture.JPG

Never had a clue he worked for us that would make a great sports quiz question, met him a couple of times at San Lorenzo golf course and Don Philipe hotel in Portugal he use to go there with a few of the 66 team and a few celebrities including Tarbuck and Stan Boardman, had some great laughs in the hotel bar Boardman was one of the funniest people I’ve met. 

Controversial one....  the female pc balancing piece in commentary/punditry hasn't gone well IMO.

I'm all for diversity - 100%... but bbc and sky aren't being diverse.  They are putting females into roles who aren't up to it or are doing it to the point of overkill and it's playing into the hands of chauvanists. 

The commentator for the millwall game on motd was simply awful.... called the post the bar, her high pitched dreary tone was bad on the ears.  

Alex Scott is pretty decent but they are throwing her on every game and she is trying too hard....  she is dominating the analysis.  You can see the discomfort of other pros who clearly disagree with some stuff she says but are towing the line. 

It's just not being handled the right way.  It's not a case of "she's better than the likes of xyz commentator or pundit...."  the fact remains you have pundits like McCoist who I thought was superb in the world cup, Gordon Strachan, Hansen who I thought was good.... 

1 hour ago, hafnia said:

Controversial one....  the female pc balancing piece in commentary/punditry hasn't gone well IMO.

I'm all for diversity - 100%... but bbc and sky aren't being diverse.  They are putting females into roles who aren't up to it or are doing it to the point of overkill and it's playing into the hands of chauvanists. 

The commentator for the millwall game on motd was simply awful.... called the post the bar, her high pitched dreary tone was bad on the ears.  

Alex Scott is pretty decent but they are throwing her on every game and she is trying too hard....  she is dominating the analysis.  You can see the discomfort of other pros who clearly disagree with some stuff she says but are towing the line. 

It's just not being handled the right way.  It's not a case of "she's better than the likes of xyz commentator or pundit...."  the fact remains you have pundits like McCoist who I thought was superb in the world cup, Gordon Strachan, Hansen who I thought was good.... 

Some are alright but some are shocking. However so are some of the male pundits. There is one that goes on the debate, I think she either is or was the Chelsea womens team manager and my local u15s coach had a better understanding of the game than her. 

Alex Scott is definitely the best. She is articulate, she makes good tactical points, she clearly knows the game but there are a lot of others who dont. The bigger shame is that there must be some decent female football analysts out there who havent played the game at a decent level who dont get a look in. At least in the mens game, the commentators are largely high level players who have been in the big games but the womens game isnt even on par with academy games and yet these women are being thrust into the spotlight as if they have some sort of experience at elite level rather than knowledge or information than can bring to the debate. 

53 minutes ago, johnh said:

Wales prepared for an England kicking game and England obliged.  England never created anything as they kicked possession away all day.  Deserved to lose.

Still think we'll win the thing though, we'll beat Scotland and Italy and Wales will lose to Ireland. They've won the battle but will lose the war.....I hope.

They’ve been trying to get rid of him since they got him the fans hate him for some reason.  Honestly I don’t get the Puel hate, soton and Leicester are lucky to be where they are and could be in a lower league to be honest.  They aren’t premier league stalwarts.  Puel plays defensive football which suits Leicester since that’s how they played when they won the league.  They won the league  and all of a sudden  think they are some big club and all that, their place in the standings is good for a team that sold mahrez and replaced him with a far worse player and will continue to do so with their stars.  

Puel took little tin pot soton to a cup final and they fired him.  Honestly clubs are going crazy.

21 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

They’ve been trying to get rid of him since they got him the fans hate him for some reason.  Honestly I don’t get the Puel hate, soton and Leicester are lucky to be where they are and could be in a lower league to be honest.  They aren’t premier league stalwarts.  Puel plays defensive football which suits Leicester since that’s how they played when they won the league.  They won the league  and all of a sudden  think they are some big club and all that, their place in the standings is good for a team that sold mahrez and replaced him with a far worse player and will continue to do so with their stars.  

Puel took little tin pot soton to a cup final and they fired him.  Honestly clubs are going crazy.

I think him dropping Vardy quite a few times hasn’t helped his cause Vardy has been vocal that his style of football doesn’t suit his game, probably why he has been getting dropped but Vardy has the ears of the owners and as more than likely been sticking the knife in with his whining. 

37 minutes ago, Palfy said:

I think him dropping Vardy quite a few times hasn’t helped his cause Vardy has been vocal that his style of football doesn’t suit his game, probably why he has been getting dropped but Vardy has the ears of the owners and as more than likely been sticking the knife in with his whining. 

if true they deserve to go down.  a one hit wonder of a player is directing management and ownership?  FFS what a joke

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Bit more than I slap, Mark. He punched him. It was fucking crazy. 

Ah the replays I saw looked like he didn’t know how to punch someone and wrangler around his neck, must have been a bad replay.  The way the guy marches off the field and motions to the fans like he is their savior is what bothered me.  Players take more of a beating on a corner kick than that.