IGNORED

Aiden McGeady

Why would Scotland get in the World Cup with McCarthy and McGeady if Ireland can't? It's not like Scotland have nine other good players, they are extremely poor. Ireland have a much stronger squad regardless. Actually, Ireland are stronger without McGeady than they are with him!

I'm not saying mcgeady or McCarthy specifically just that if Ireland didn't get the dual nationals they'd be shit and Scotland would be better than they are.

For McCarthy its clearly within his heritage - he grew up in an Donegal Irish connected community in Glasgow, his Grand father was Irish and asked him to play for Ireland. McCarthy has loads of family in ROI.

Similar for McGeady, he also has strong links with Donegal - he wasn't allowed to play for Scotland youth at international level due to Celtic not allowing him to play for his school team and Scotland internationals not allowing kids who don't play for school teams. ROI and Packie Bonner got him over to ROI and there he has stayed.

I have very strong Irish roots and would have absolutely no issues doing the same.

I'm not saying mcgeady or McCarthy specifically just that if Ireland didn't get the dual nationals they'd be shit and Scotland would be better than they are.

We Yanks are all about the dual nationals. We are building our men's national team in large part due to them. It's just a shame we don't have a couple of large military bases in Brazil and Argentina...

We Yanks are all about the dual nationals. We are building our men's national team in large part due to them. It's just a shame we don't have a couple of large military bases in Brazil and Argentina...

lol. but those are real dual nationals. mcgeady had a grandpa that lived in ireland once, hardly dual national. fabian johnsons dad was an american citizen on a military base in germany, knocked a woman up and went back to the states. dude is half american (unlike mcgeady at what a quarter at best?).

lol. but those are real dual nationals. mcgeady had a grandpa that lived in ireland once, hardly dual national. fabian johnsons dad was an american citizen on a military base in germany, knocked a woman up and went back to the states. dude is half american (unlike mcgeady at what a quarter at best?).

His paternal grandparents were Irish, they didn't just live there so as a result he qualifies to play for them. There's a huge community of catholics in Scotland with Irish heritage who still feel culturally Irish, just look at the number of Irish flags in the crowd at Celtic games!

His paternal grandparents were Irish, they didn't just live there so as a result he qualifies to play for them. There's a huge community of catholics in Scotland with Irish heritage who still feel culturally Irish, just look at the number of Irish flags in the crowd at Celtic games!

no doubt mike, and my great grandfather may have been austria as slovakia was part of the austro-hungarian empire at that time, should i qualify for Austria? Or because an American jew traces their lineage back to abraham are they now qualified for Israel?

At some point you have to have a line, 1 generation, 2 generation, something. It just seems very "loose" in terms of how it's all regulated.

no doubt mike, and my great grandfather may have been austria as slovakia was part of the austro-hungarian empire at that time, should i qualify for Austria? Or because an American jew traces their lineage back to abraham are they now qualified for Israel?

At some point you have to have a line, 1 generation, 2 generation, something. It just seems very "loose" in terms of how it's all regulated.

It's not at all; if you have a grandparent who was a citizen of another country you can play for them, end of story.

Leon Osman (for example) could have played for Cyprus or Somalia had he chosen to.

It's not at all; if you have a grandparent who was a citizen of another country you can play for them, end of story.

Leon Osman (for example) could have played for Cyprus or Somalia had he chosen to.

thanks mike i didn't realize that. on another note, wow osman somali? never would have guess that. he and ross could have been at the ACON :)

In the late 1950's, when football was split between Amateur and Professional, I had hopes for an English Amateur International cap. Played for an FA Xl against the Army and for a North of England representative team. The secretary of the club I played for told me that they had had an approach from the Ireland FA to see if I qualified for the Irish team. I didn't because my Irish connection goes back to my great, great grandfather. Shame, because I never got the English cap.

Edited by johnh

• 4 months later...

I live in Preston and many mates are avid North enders and they really rate him, caught a few bits of him and he looks far more comfortable at that level caused Arsenal a fair few problems in the cup game

He'll either end up there (wages could be a problem) or at a similar or lower level Prem

I still can't believe we brought him here.

See my comment the other day in another thread. Everton has one of the best records in the world for securing value for money in its signings. This is because we're willing to take risks. We can't praise the team's transfer record while also complaining about it when a player doesn't work out.

Did you ever see the episode of Star Trek TNG when Picard played it safe as a young man instead of demonstrating leadership by taking risks? In that alternative life, he remained an ensign. Same thing. Take risks, reap reward, accept that sometimes players won't work out. For every McGeady there's a Lookman.

See my comment the other day in another thread. Everton has one of the best records in the world for securing value for money in its signings. This is because we're willing to take risks. We can't praise the team's transfer record while also complaining about it when a player doesn't work out.

Did you ever see the episode of Star Trek TNG when Picard played it safe as a young man instead of demonstrating leadership by taking risks? In that alternative life, he remained an ensign. Same thing. Take risks, reap reward, accept that sometimes players won't work out. For every McGeady there's a Lookman.

Spot on Cornish.

Spot on Cornish.

That reply should have been "make it so Cornish", back at the top of the page, its a surely big shame that McGeady didn't have some Belgian connection, so he could link up with the pillock that signed him on our behalf.

As for the Everton fourth in value trading table thing, it's built entirely on what Moyes left us. Besides Lukaku who was already an established prem player, which players did clown-shoes bring in that have been raging successes?

That reply should have been "make it so Cornish", back at the top of the page, its a surely big shame that McGeady didn't have some Belgian connection, so he could link up with the pillock that signed him on our behalf.

As for the Everton fourth in value trading table thing, it's built entirely on what Moyes left us. Besides Lukaku who was already an established prem player, which players did clown-shoes bring in that have been raging successes?

McCarthy. Robles. Funes Mori. Holgate.

Jurys out on Holgate, and I'll highlight it for you "Raging successes"

Add Lukaku, and it's five first team players. I would say that's pretty good - certainly on a par with Moyes and Koeman. The fact is, though, that Everton as a team has a strategy for bringing in players, regardless of manager, and it's the right one.