IGNORED

Ross Barkley

A bit two faced that Haf, especially after your fifty odd posts criticising Lukaku. Goose and Gander come mind.

There is a huge difference between "opinion" and "audible unneccesary criticism"...

My opinion of lukaku is just that. My treatment of any player who wears the shirt is support.... barkley takes shit off the fans and grief from the manager and pundits - hes getting picked on.

Gerrard is absolutely spot on.

There is a huge difference between "opinion" and "audible unneccesary criticism"...

My opinion of lukaku is just that. My treatment of any player who wears the shirt is support.... barkley takes shit off the fans and grief from the manager and pundits - hes getting picked on.

Gerrard is absolutely spot on.

100% the manager needs some man management skills when it comes to Barkley, he's got everything in his Arsenal you need to be a top player, the criticism is knocking his confidence a long with a manager who doesn't know what to do with him.

100% the manager needs some man management skills when it comes to Barkley, he's got everything in his Arsenal you need to be a top player, the criticism is knocking his confidence a long with a manager who doesn't know what to do with him.

Thierry Henry had it spot on when he was talking before the Hull game. He basically said Barkley isn't a kid any more and sooner or later he has to decide for himself the player he's going to be, take responsibility for his own game. Not David Moyes. Not Roberto Martinez. Not Ronald Koeman. Ross Barkley.

He, and we as fans, are hiding behind far too many excuses for him because we want him to succeed. Shit or get off the pot and we'll find a player to take your place.

Thierry Henry had it spot on when he was talking before the Hull game. He basically said Barkley isn't a kid any more and sooner or later he has to decide for himself the player he's going to be, take responsibility for his own game. Not David Moyes. Not Roberto Martinez. Not Ronald Koeman. Ross Barkley.

He, and we as fans, are hiding behind far too many excuses for him because we want him to succeed. Shit or get off the pot and we'll find a player to take your place.

Its all very well henry saying this... at the age of 22 he was considered a flop at juventus. Wenger gave him the management he needed to become a star... so he can shut up.

In the same breath he makes all sorts of allowances for lukaku... who was left alone when he went through a 4 month dry spell. But because barkley isnt running games at the same age hes getting grief?

Gerrard is right... barkley is theveasy target. If he did go elsewhere he would prosper. No doubt about it.

No one else has played consistent bar gana.

Edited by Hafnia

No he is not a kid, but he is only 22. As has been said by Haf, many players "Saint Thierry" included did not reach their potential till their mid 20's.

Ross does have to take responsibility for his actions, bit so do the managers who have coached him. It will take a while for Koeman to undo the damage Robetro did, and get the best out of him. But we are seeing improvements, after being dropped he has come back with better performances, his cameo against Leicester and game against Hull were better.

Players like Ross need the players around them to move into space, make runs or drag defenders out of position to get the best out of him. With the inconsistent performances we have had from our wingers, and a Lukaku who has blown hot and cold its been hard for the team to find a rhythm, let alone Ross. If he were playing for any of the top 5 teams people would be raving about him, his passing, his taking players on and being able to find space.

Yes Ross needs to develop and to play consistently well and I believe under Koeman he will, but having fans rip the shit out of him is not going to help. And Yes I and others have a soft spot for him because he is a local lad, a fan and has so much potential. I want him to succeed, just like I want the team to succeed.

This is a team in transition, with a new manager, new footballing philosophies, and new players. It will take time for the players who stay, including Ross to adapt. So lets keep talk of shits and pots off the agenda for a while till the manager and team have a chance to show what they can do.

Edited by London Blue

Soz.

Edit - Henry wasn't even saying Ross should be running games. Only that it's about time we stop looking at what the managers need to be doing, because he's had a few now with the same questions still needing to be asked, and look more towards what Ross needs to be doing.

Edited by Romey 1878

Henry is also implying that Ross was shite under Martinez or was even involved under Moyes.

Barkley was brilliant at times under Martinez, this time last year he had played his best half of a season since he broke through. The whole team down tools at the end of last season so we can ignore that, he was pissed about by england and this season he has been in and out of the side and Koeman has mishandled him.

He is unsurprisingly struggling at the moment but he has still been one of out better players this season and is still highest in out chances created.

Deli Alli has scored 8 and created 27 chances in 18 games.

Ross has scored 3, created 39 chances in 17 games.

Overall Ross has played around 140-150 games. Alli despite being younger by around 3 years has played around 120-130 games.

Ross was protected for too long, obviously his double leg break was probably a big factor behind that but he needed the games that Alli was playing. Getting kicked around by grown men, learning what it's like to get stick from 50 year old men who can barely see the ball anymore let alone tell a professional what they should be doing. Ross has had to do that learning in the limelight and then being thrust into the England side as a saviour. Naturally he is clearly a shy person so it will be difficult for him but he is getting there. He is still performing despite clearly not being at his best or playing for a side that sets up to his strengths.

Problem with Ross is simple: where do you play him? He's clearly not good enough to build a team around. He's a strong runner with the ball, has an excllent shot and is physically strong. Unfortunately he doesn't really dominate the game like he should given his size. He should win many more contests. He also too often seems to lack focus, like first period against Hull. His positioning is also suspect so you can't really trust him to be in the right place when opponents have the ball.

So at a minimum he has to learn to be mentally ready every week, all game. This is something no-one else can force him to do, or even teach.

Henry is also implying that Ross was shite under Martinez or was even involved under Moyes.

Barkley was brilliant at times under Martinez, this time last year he had played his best half of a season since he broke through. The whole team down tools at the end of last season so we can ignore that, he was pissed about by england and this season he has been in and out of the side and Koeman has mishandled him.

He is unsurprisingly struggling at the moment but he has still been one of out better players this season and is still highest in out chances created.

Overall Ross has played around 140-150 games. Alli despite being younger by around 3 years has played around 120-130 games.

Ross was protected for too long, obviously his double leg break was probably a big factor behind that but he needed the games that Alli was playing. Getting kicked around by grown men, learning what it's like to get stick from 50 year old men who can barely see the ball anymore let alone tell a professional what they should be doing. Ross has had to do that learning in the limelight and then being thrust into the England side as a saviour. Naturally he is clearly a shy person so it will be difficult for him but he is getting there. He is still performing despite clearly not being at his best or playing for a side that sets up to his strengths.

Thank you perfectly said.So good I've repeated it excessively. Edited by Palfy

Haf, you really need to understand the hypocrisy in that sentence. You're critisism of Lukaku is on another planetary level to anything that has ever been directed at Barkley.

No hypocrisy at all.

My criticism of him is forum based.... not at a match shouting "your fuckin shit!"... ive never booed or slagged a man in a blue shirt.

Hence difference between opinion and audible unneccassary criticism.

Edited by Hafnia

No hypocrisy at all.

My criticism of him is forum based.... not at a match shouting "your fuckin shit!"... ive never booed or slagged a man in a blue shirt.

Hence difference between opinion and audible unneccassary criticism.

But you do criticise him unnecessarily though mate. I'm not having a go or looking for a nark, but you just do.

But you do criticise him unnecessarily though mate. I'm not having a go or looking for a nark, but you just do.

Oh i rip him to bits no doubt about that.

But i wouldnt have anyone firing shit at him at the match the way people do with barkley. Its insane how bad it has been.

When you hear it through tv thats bad. My brother said 2 lads nearly had a fight in the main stand - one just kept going at barkley. When he actually did something great he would even say something like "why cant you do that all the time you prick!"....

The other lad said "if he did that every time he would be the best player in the world you tit"

Thats the problem. People think he should beat 4 men and blast one from 30 yards all the time. As good as gazza was he was patchy... highlights make you believe he was brilliant game after game. He wasnt. He was outstanding then maybe average.

Edited by Hafnia

Oh i rip him to bits no doubt about that.

But i wouldnt have anyone firing shit at him at the match the way people do with barkley. Its insane how bad it has been.

When you hear it through tv thats bad. My brother said 2 lads nearly had a fight in the main stand - one just kept going at barkley. When he actually did something great he would even say something like "why cant you do that all the time you prick!"....

Totally agree, anyone at the game giving any player grief like that should be booted out. As I've mentioned elsewhere, regardless of how frustrated I am at a player I always encourage at the game.

Edited by Paddock

More of today please, Ross. Still had his moments when you wonder what was going through his head but he was, on the whole, excellent.

That back pass to Mori in the first half, I burnt my fucking lip sipping my tea when he done it because I shit myself. I was right on line on a diagonal with it and I thought Mori wasn't going to make it.