IGNORED

Ross Barkley

Southampton were tired, and struggled to press as they normally would, as their legs fell off Barkley got even more time to pick runners and good passes. Currently he can be pressed/pressured out of a game, he's got footwork like Gene Kelly, pace for a midfielder to match any central mid runner, but close his thinking time off and his game goes to pieces, it's not even having to double up on him, just keep a man close and cut off the easy pass and he's in trouble.

Watching Barkley is about comparing where and when hes good versus where and when he aint. Maybe the more knocks he gets now and the more sides focus their spare man on him the sooner he learns to break the shackles, but, expectation is a huge drain on him.

I'll hold fire on any plaudits.

Really, I am surprised.

I have no problem with people criticizing players if they play poorly, everyone is entitled to their opinions and I respect although not necessarily agree with other peoples, yours included.

But if a player puts in a good performance in the interests of fairness don't they deserve praise?

Edited by London Blue

I said repeatedly that barkley needs "movement" to get the best from him. Having 2 DM's behind him with one in the form of barry isnt gonna help.

Look at liverpool or chelsea - mobility and energy and davies has that. Barkley was playing 1 and 2 touch football with people who were moving in front of him - it helps.

Gave my MOTM vote to Davis for his energy and non stop running, a player who gave a performance like he was proud to wear the shirt. Barkley a close second but as I said, I will hold back on any adulation till we see what happens from here on in.

Seeing one swallow doesn't make it Summer.

Under pressure Barkley must still convince me on a regular basis as a creative attacking midfielder - he simply does not look like a player with lots of time to execute (the sign of a great player). i think he should play deeper than nr 10 and seriously brush up his defense or try to become a great nr 10 at another club. He won't be soon playing nr 10 for England again, i think.

By the way , who is our spare nr10?

When Barkley plays "poor" is when he is sat back deeper, which recently is when Barry is playing, now don't take this as a bash at Barry coz I like him, he's just too slow, which then causes Ross to drop deeper to cover the areas Barry can't.

Look when Davies played, it gave Barkley more freedom further up the pitch, which then brings Rom into the game more. That's my two pence on it.

What a difference a day makes.

Theres some pressure on Ross now, it looks like Schneiderlin is as good as done, and theres increasing stories that Belfodil is very close to following him in. (lets say all things being equal, injuries not taken into account, simply first team choices...)

Stekelenberg

Coleman Jagielka Williams Baines

Lennon Schneiderlin Gueye Bolasie

Belfodil Lukaku

Simply put, where does Barkley fit in? Change it up to something more recent...

Stek

Holgate Williams Mori

Coleman Baines

Schneiderlin Barkley Gueye

Belfodil Lukaku

So Niasse seems Hull-bound, McGeady is Prestons (problem), we have Deulofeu (possible loan out option), Lennon, Mirallas, and Bolasie (knacked till 2018) I mean, could it be that we finally get a big unit target man in and suddenly find we aren't playing with a recognised wideman/winger? (or is a winger like Deul rotated in for Barkley??)

Ooh then we have a problem Pad. I love the kid, want him to be brilliant for us. But if I could put Mata in there, or Silva, that kind of player, Ross would either have to take a seat or convince us he can play out wide. Or try to take Gana or Schneiderlins place. I'd like us to have that problem.

Selling Ross isn't an option for me though.

Ooh then we have a problem Pad. I love the kid, want him to be brilliant for us. But if I could put Mata in there, or Silva, that kind of player, Ross would either have to take a seat or convince us he can play out wide. Or try to take Gana or Schneiderlins place. I'd like us to have that problem.

Selling Ross isn't an option for me though.

Yep, 100% with you.

I so waned Mata in the summer. He was one of the pieces of the puzzle for me.

I thought he looked like a seasoned campaigner out there. He was really really good. Tackles, passes, the lot.

Probably joint second best player with Barry and Kev - behind Tom Davies who was exceptional.

In the first half his final ball was letting him down I thought, but in the second half he was superb - I don't think I've ever seen him work so hard to track back and make tackles.

In the first half his final ball was letting him down I thought, but in the second half he was superb - I don't think I've ever seen him work so hard to track back and make tackles.

Yep, first half he was up and down and hit and miss. But second half he was superb. He never stopped running and got stuck in for once.