IGNORED

Twitter Transfer Rumours

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 25/06/2023 at 13:26, c1982 said:

Smart business if true - like what I’ve seen and heard about Wharton - very high ceiling.

He caught my eye when I saw Rovers play but I didn't think he was anything special. He had a run of games at the end but it wasn't like he was playing all season. Maybe he is one that we buy cheap and see what happens, but I didn't see a gem.

If I am completely honest, he had a Tom Davies vibe where he comes in, looks quite good because he is a bit different but then when you actually assess his ability, you realise there isn't loads to work with.

We need to just lean on our academy players for squad depth and hope and pray that DCL / others in the first team squad stay healthy. Obviously we’ll keep scouring for free / low fee transfers, but I truly don’t see the point of moving on from even reasonably promising youngsters for the fees being discussed. If moving on from them won’t move the needle then we should start getting them first team reps and hope they can provide solid cover. 

Relying on academy players and praying DCL stays fit (something he's failed to do for the last two seasons) will see us relegated, 100 percent!

How does the saying go? You'll never win anything with kids! 😂

The bare minimum we need is a decent striker. We just don't score enough goals. Academy players are not the answer to that problem. 

I'm all for bringing players through, but no one wants another relegation battle.

1 hour ago, Wall Writer said:

Relying on academy players and praying DCL stays fit (something he's failed to do for the last two seasons) will see us relegated, 100 percent!

How does the saying go? You'll never win anything with kids! 😂

The bare minimum we need is a decent striker. We just don't score enough goals. Academy players are not the answer to that problem. 

I'm all for bringing players through, but no one wants another relegation battle.

I’m operating under the assumption that we very simply can’t spend enough money to get a quality striker in. Adding a player of Maupay’s quality for a fee that is within our means but is a material fee nonetheless doesn’t help us at all, it just adds fuel to our financial dumpster fire.

Given that we have no money to spend whether due to FFP or the funding itself (would clearly love to be incorrect on this point but all signs point to it being true), then it doesn’t make any sense to sell our academy players because they want the opportunity for regular first team football. The couple million we’ll receive in fees make almost no difference. Uncovering an academy player that can add competent squad depth and potentially develop into a starter is how we fix our financial issues. 

Saying about using the academy is all well and good as long as they are good enough. We cant get ourselves into the situation where we dont have the squad depth to cope with reasonably expected injuries or have to rely on a kid for 3+ games. 

Also as we have seen countless times, its not like a young lad comes in if there is no natural first team player available in that position. You will see a player in a different position move there (Iwobi, Garner, Godfrey, Holgate etc) and then it just creates even more problems. 

I don’t disagree, I’m only saying if we can’t afford to buy quality players anyway then why allow our (potentially) promising academy kids leave because they want first team football?

certainly our loan slots will be critical, as will free transfers but I can’t imagine many players are anxious to sign with us long term given our uncertainty.

4 hours ago, Matt Tiger said:

I don’t disagree, I’m only saying if we can’t afford to buy quality players anyway then why allow our (potentially) promising academy kids leave because they want first team football?

certainly our loan slots will be critical, as will free transfers but I can’t imagine many players are anxious to sign with us long term given our uncertainty.

I think the issue is of how promising those players really are. Look at Simms, scores loads of goals in the academy, scores well enough in Scotland and in the Championship but looks lost in the big league. 

If a Simms or Cannon are the 3rd choice in depth at that position then Im happy with that. If they are the back-up we have problems. 

As for players, there are lots out there if we look hard enough. The Premier League is a massive pull, we just have to try and be sensible with wages which is the harder bit. 

8 hours ago, Matt Tiger said:

Just wait and see how many of them become premier league players before judging why we allow them to go. How many have made it back to the top?

Are people just looking at his age? He’s probably the best option we would have at left back, would immeasurably improve the professionalism in the squad. He was very good for Villa last season. 

Richard gough was 38 and was immense for us for the year.  Milner at 37 has just gone to Brighton.   Players who look after themselves aren’t finished at 38

He’s definitely got plenty of experience, what concerns me has he got the pace and a decent engine to play alongside Tarkowski and possibly Keane, because they won’t be cutting across and chasing down balls when he’s caught out position, he’s going to need the legs of a 28 year old playing in our back line.