IGNORED

John Stones

Reminds me of Rio Ferdinand circa 2002, bit more filling out and he will be a complete defender.

Got the lot:-

pace

good in the air

good feet

can tackle

can pass

prone to the odd poor decision but that is getting better

I wouldn't accept £40m as I honestly think he is potentially the best defender in the world. Big shout.

He's very good in the air, 6ft 3 vs 6ft 5, great leap.

In past games I've noticed how he tends to charge in for aerial balls and misjudge things, but yesterday he was spot on; very calm and assured when more experienced players would have been panicked coming up against Fellaini. His progression has been (as Roberto would say) phenomenal.

Reminds me of Rio Ferdinand circa 2002, bit more filling out and he will be a complete defender.

Got the lot:-

pace

good in the air

good feet

can tackle

can pass

prone to the odd poor decision but that is getting better

I wouldn't accept £40m as I honestly think he is potentially the best defender in the world. Big shout.

Now we can add "scores goals".

He jumps early. Cahill was the king at this, could jump early and hang.

It's so difficult to get up there when jumping second.

Not scientifically possible that, rather than write it out myself (which of course I could have done if I'd wanted :unsure:) I googled and got the following.

"Isaac Newton did for this concept, unfortunately. The laws of physics are such that no body of mass can escape the effects of gravity, and so all players return to earth equally quickly.

The perception, then, of players "hanging in the air", is likely down to a few factors:

1) Technique

2) Acceleration

3) Neurological Impact on the Spectator

For technique, there are a few things a player can do, but most obviously the very best headers of the ball tend to jump much higher than their opponent or simply time their leap better. Thanks to this, the effect is that the striker is still in the air as the challenger for the ball is falling back to earth. If you watch it again frame-by-frame, it's obvious that the players left the ground at different moments in time, or reached different heights at their peak, but at full-speed it's simply not possible to process all the visual information.

For acceleration, look to Newton's 2nd law (F = ma). When the player begins their leap, he instantaneously accelerates upwards before slowing down thanks to gravity. At the peak of the jump, acceleration is zero, then negative as the player begins to fall. The effect of this is that player appears to (and in fact does) slow down at the peak of their jump, appearing almost stationary for a moment or two when contrasted with the explosive force of the header.

Finally, it is likely that when a cross goes into the box, the viewer will pay much closer attention to the player in question. This shift in attention from the game's "flow", atmosphere, etc to a specific action is likely to distort perception to a certain extent. Time is not linear in human perception, as different hormones like dopamine and adrenaline are released in response to different stimuli. The excitement of the event might be enough to make a difference."

Reading through that there is the possibility of a player accelerating at a greater pace when he starts hos jump....this them means the slower down process lasts a little longer than the slower players...thus giving the illusion of hanging in the air.

What it does show is that players can spend different amounts of time in the air.

As Mike says, this 'hanging in the air' was disproved many years ago. The 'illusion' is probably best illustrated by basketball players scoring a slam dunk where they appear to hang in the air. The movement of bending then straightening the legs adds to the illusion.

The 'jumping early' tactic obviously doesn't mean that the player can 'stay up there' longer. This tactic is designed to disrupt the timing of the defenders jump. The problem is that jumping early means you get up there too soon and can't get a solid/accurate header, which is why this tactic is usually only used close to goal where a glanced header can create problems for a defence. Or a target man glancing a header for a player to run on to.

My understanding of it is this, its power to weight ratio from the legs/glutes/calves in an upward motion which is ultimately acceleration.

Gravity will reduce acceleration, but the more power the longer it will take to stop the upward momentum = height. With a forward jump this will give the player a more arched descent

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...