IGNORED

John Stones

Was a bit peeved to see stones come on at RB vs Chile/Peru (can't remember who it was?!)...but really pissed off when brought on at LB! Left back?!!!

What are you doing to the lad?!!!

Made all the crazier that Flanagan could've easily been moved to LB seeing as he's played there a lot this season!

Bit of a shit night all round in the way Hodgson treated the youngsters I thought. Shaw hung out to dry by playing him as part of a defence that had never played together. Stones at LB. And then his treatment of Barkley after the game.

• 3 weeks later...

Phil jones return to fitness cost Jon his place... bet you feel a tit now don't you Roy!

One of the worst performances in the whole world cup so far was Jones against Costa Rica. they guy tried his best to gift them a goal.

Oooooh...surely Smalling and his 'distribution' pushes for that?!!!

Phil jones return to fitness cost Jon his place... bet you feel a tit now don't you Roy!

One of the worst performances in the whole world cup so far was Jones against Costa Rica. they guy tried his best to gift them a goal.

Yet Roy described Jones' performance with a superlative (can't remember which) facepalm

Guest blueboy122

The pair of them aren't even good enough for the Prem.

Nowhere near international players.

Its embarrassing that we take these Sunday league type player.

Im still convinced theres a player in Jones, much like Cleverly. Just needs the right man to bring them back.

Anyone know a positive, young, tactically astute man motivator manager?

to be honest I used to rate Jones and thought he was an exciting player. when he first came onto the scene he used to be the type of defender who would burst forward into space given half the chance.

Last season he did look poor when he played and he also had a very miserable world cup, even by England's standards.

But your comparison to Cleverly could be spot on. Two young players who do have the ability Cleverly more so, and who could just need the right motivation.

Though Jones compared to Stones... no comparison. Jon Stones will become an England regular barring something catastrophic.

Nice comments about his manager too.

to be honest I used to rate Jones and thought he was an exciting player. when he first came onto the scene he used to be the type of defender who would burst forward into space given half the chance.

Last season he did look poor when he played and he also had a very miserable world cup, even by England's standards.

But your comparison to Cleverly could be spot on. Two young players who do have the ability Cleverly more so, and who could just need the right motivation.

Though Jones compared to Stones... no comparison. Jon Stones will become an England regular barring something catastrophic.

Nice comments about his manager too.

Absolutely not, my comparison was only with Cleverly and how both prospects have had the progress halted/reversed by negative management and scape-goating :)

Absolutely not, my comparison was only with Cleverly and how both prospects have had the progress halted/reversed by negative management and scape-goating :)

Sorry Matt I didn't mean that to read that I thought you were comparing them..... not even you are that crazy haha!

I actually want us to take Cleverly as I do think given the right motivation and freedom to play he could turn out to be an astute buy.

I like Stones comments that under RM he has been allowed to go out and play his style without feeling the pressure of making a mistake. go and express yourself.

Roberto is not a football manager, he is more of a modern sporting artist.

Guest blueboy122

Disagree Matt.

Against the grain but I think there's still a player in Smalling and Jones is like a Sunday league player.

I think United were hoping that Jones was going to be another Steve Bruce but for me Jones is an average championship player and that's being kind.

My opinion of course.

Disagree Matt.

Against the grain but I think there's still a player in Smalling and Jones is like a Sunday league player.

I think United were hoping that Jones was going to be another Steve Bruce but for me Jones is an average championship player and that's being kind.

My opinion of course.

I'd say it was the other way around :)

Jones is not an RB, hes not a CDM. He is a CB and needs a season in 1 position after being jiggled from position to position. Same argument can be used for Smalling, I just dont see it in him, didnt even at Fulham (though I do like his story from Sunday league to United in 3-4 years).

• 2 weeks later...

What would everyone like to see next season? Stones as cover for Jags and Distin or for Stones to come in and take Distins place in the squad?

Problem we have in Stones and Jagielka are both right sided centre halves where as Distin is left sided so neither could really replace him naturally. Both could have course stand in but I think this year will be Distins last, he's 37 this year and still defying the laws of biology, he's been immense. I remember Blue Kippers servers almost melting when he signed with everyone fuming :lol:

Problem we have in Stones and Jagielka are both right sided centre halves where as Distin is left sided so neither could really replace him naturally. Both could have course stand in but I think this year will be Distins last, he's 37 this year and still defying the laws of biology, he's been immense. I remember Blue Kippers servers almost melting when he signed with everyone fuming :lol:

He's one of my favorite players on my generation and I can say that with my hand on my heart. What he is physically capable of and his reading on the game is fantastic and I love to watch him defend, he makes it like an art form!

I still believe he still has AT LEAST one season left in him. Wouldn't surprise me if he didn't retire at Everton and continued playing in the Championship or something.

I maintain all 3 at the back, with some work, would be very fruitful for us.

I don't think we've practiced that enough to be honest.

Hopefully pre season will give us a hint in to how wer're going to shape up. I wouldn't mind seeing 3 at the back with Oviedo and Coleman as attacking wing backs, with Baines in centre midfield.

I maintain all 3 at the back, with some work, would be very fruitful for us.

Every time I watched us switch to this last season I thought we looked awful. Out of shape, disjointed and none of the centre halves knew what the other was doing. Maybe with a lot more practice but not on last years showings . For me anyway.

Every time I watched us switch to this last season I thought we looked awful. Out of shape, disjointed and none of the centre halves knew what the other was doing. Maybe with a lot more practice but not on last years showings . For me anyway.

Switching to a 3 at the back seems a bit on the cowardly side to me, i.e. Martinez can't make the big decision on which one to plonk on the bench so plays them all.

Switching to a 3 at the back seems a bit on the cowardly side to me, i.e. Martinez can't make the big decision on which one to plonk on the bench so plays them all.

Normally, I would probably agree with you, but Martinez has a history with 3-man back-lines.