IGNORED

Ramiro Funes Mori

Considering the league and level he's previously been used to and to be pretty much thrown straight into the mix I think he's done very well

I think we'll see a much better and settled player come next season

Agree. Done much better than I expected, thought he'd take at least a season.

Been one of our best players.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

good article and stats. i agree. also shows where stones needs work, aerials and clearances.

Tbf if they had dribble attempts and completions he would make up for it on them. Clearing it is not in his make up.

Shite in the air though, considering he's got a good leap he loses too many.

• 1 month later...

I think he gets more praise then he deserves because he's pitched in a few goals as a CB. But he plays too high up the field, has poor positioning in set pieces and is wasteful with possession going forward when he takes long shots from distance instead of building up play. £9.5m was a high price to pay for a CB when you compare that to Deulofeu who cost less than half of that and is younger and a winger.

This season showed us that we don't have a problem scoring goals, the problems in defence are much more obvious and immediate. Our transfer activity in the off-season is too unpredictable to speculate at this stage; with new investment coming in and no one being sure whether we can hold on to Lukaku, Stones and even Barkley. But one of the priorities will be to shore up at least one new CB.

If we want to challenge for champions league football next season, then I don't think Funes Mori has the required skill level to be a starting CB, I am not sure whether old man Jagielka will have the legs to play out the season, and who knows what will happen with Stones... I'd be very disappointed if Martinez does little to improve the central defence pairing in the off-season.

I think he gets more praise then he deserves because he's pitched in a few goals as a CB. But he plays too high up the field, has poor positioning in set pieces and is wasteful with possession going forward when he takes long shots from distance instead of building up play. £9.5m was a high price to pay for a CB when you compare that to Deulofeu who cost less than half of that and is younger and a winger.

This season showed us that we don't have a problem scoring goals, the problems in defence are much more obvious and immediate. Our transfer activity in the off-season is too unpredictable to speculate at this stage; with new investment coming in and no one being sure whether we can hold on to Lukaku, Stones and even Barkley. But one of the priorities will be to shore up at least one new CB.

If we want to challenge for champions league football next season, then I don't think Funes Mori has the required skill level to be a starting CB, I am not sure whether old man Jagielka will have the legs to play out the season, and who knows what will happen with Stones... I'd be very disappointed if Martinez does little to improve the central defence pairing in the off-season.

Funes Mori is not the problem in our team, he's been very good in his first season, the odd mistake, but on the whole him and Jags have been the best 2 centre halves.

I don't understand comparing his price to Deulofeu, Gerry has barely played any first team football aside from Everton and essentially the low fee is in part down to the fact that Barca can buy him back at a maximum cost of £8m.

He will get better - he's a first choice centre half for Argentina, that tells you something.

Funes Mori is not the problem in our team, he's been very good in his first season, the odd mistake, but on the whole him and Jags have been the best 2 centre halves.

I don't understand comparing his price to Deulofeu, Gerry has barely played any first team football aside from Everton and essentially the low fee is in part down to the fact that Barca can buy him back at a maximum cost of £8m.

He will get better - he's a first choice centre half for Argentina, that tells you something.

I think Funes Mori is one of the biggest problems in our team and I don't accept that he makes 'the odd mistake', I think he makes rather large mistakes. consistently.

For example against Liverpool:

1. If you watch the second goal again. Funes Mori peeled off Sakho early to challenge Origi and left Baines, the smallest player in the team bar Lennon, to challenge Sakho. This is extremely poor positioning and poor decision making from Funes Mori because:

a ) Origi was already marked by Barry and Barry was in front of him.

b ) Funes Mori was a metre behind Origi when the ball was whipped in. Even if the ball went to Origi, Funes Mori isn't in a good enough position to challenge Origi.

Funes Mori symbolically jumping behind Origi when he's already marked by Barry achieves nothing in this scenario. Meanwhile Sakho gets a semi-free header. I don't understand what Funes Mori was doing here, this is defending 101.

123.png

2. Funes Mori was only on the field for about 50 minutes and I can count at least 3 occasions where he's gone to pass the ball out to the flanks and missed the target completely, turning over possession.

3. His clearances were rushed and from that he gave away possession to the Liverpool midfield time and time again. Although all of the back 4 were guilty of this.

4. His red card was an ugly challenge. But apart from this game, his discipline this season has been pretty decent (4 yellow cards in a season for a CB is pretty good) so I don't know if I can say that this really adds much to the point I am trying to make - the first three points are far more important in my mind.

The simple point I was trying to make above was that Funes Mori is not delivering anywhere near what you would expect of a CB costing £9.5m. And you can ignore the point I made about Deulofeu then.. I'll make a similar comparison: for the price of Funes Mori, you could buy three Robert Huths or two Eric Diers

Sweeping generalisations such as "he's a first choice centre half for Argentina, that tells you something" adds very little because, well for one, he only has 5 caps and for another, being chosen for Argentina is good achievement but his performances for Everton are far more telling of his ability.

Edited by brisbaneblue

I think Funes Mori is one of the biggest problems in our team and I don't accept that he makes 'the odd mistake', I think he makes rather large mistakes. consistently.

For example against Liverpool:

1. If you watch the second goal again. Funes Mori peeled off Sakho early to challenge Origi and left Baines, the smallest player in the team bar Lennon, to challenge Sakho. This is extremely poor positioning and poor decision making from Funes Mori because:

a ) Origi was already marked by Barry and Barry was in front of him.

b ) Funes Mori was a metre behind Origi when the ball was whipped in. Even if the ball went to Origi, Funes Mori isn't in a good enough position to challenge Origi.

Funes Mori symbolically jumping behind Origi when he's already marked by Barry achieves nothing in this scenario. Meanwhile Sakho gets a semi-free header. I don't understand what Funes Mori was doing here, this is defending 101.

123.png

On this picture, the ones out of position are Stones and Baines. Mori is the near post CB, he is moving to cover the forward in that position. Somehow Baines and Stones have switched positions, I suspect Baones trying to mop up for Stones going a-wandering. But he is nowhere near Sakho, and Stones, who should really be picking uo the more central man, has got the wrong side of the outer of the three attackers. All in all, a text book example of our dire defensive disorganisation and incompetence.

Brisbane... dont let other defenders get in your way of a witch hunt.

Mori is a good player and will be a very good one. Got more heart than the rest of them put together. Thanks for the picture but I seen it real time... Stones fucked up 3 times for 3 goals.

Edited by Hafnia