IGNORED

Michael Keane

8 hours ago, Bill said:

See what happens in the next game Mina, Keane, and Godfrey all fit, see who is left out.

Mina and Branthwaite next game. Put Godfrey at one of the fullback positions. If Patterson is ready for a go, put him at LB; if not, Godfrey at RB and Mykolenko at LB and hope for the best.

I’ve always backed him when he’s going through a bad spell because he always bounces back in a game or two, but it’s becoming to regular these blips, and at the worst moments when the team needs everyone to be on their game, I wouldn’t want to be going into the last game of the season needing a win or point and relying on him he buckles under pressure.

5 hours ago, FairWooney said:

Keane's big issue for me is the way he loses his confidence more than his lack of ability.  He can on his day be a great centre back but I feel that with a few bad games and especially such as now when the team are not performing and the atmosphere is awful around the ground his head drops and he makes mistakes or attempts things he shouldn't be doing.

Not ideal in any player but I wouldn't be surprised to see him playing better again under a new manager with the crowd fully behind the team.

Agreed. Clearly the kind of player who needs to know his manager trusts him and will put an arm around him. But I don’t think Rafa would ever be that for him. Hopefully the next one can bring the best out of him. 

10 hours ago, FairWooney said:

Keane's big issue for me is the way he loses his confidence more than his lack of ability.  He can on his day be a great centre back but I feel that with a few bad games and especially such as now when the team are not performing and the atmosphere is awful around the ground his head drops and he makes mistakes or attempts things he shouldn't be doing.

Not ideal in any player but I wouldn't be surprised to see him playing better again under a new manager with the crowd fully behind the team.

Until it gets tough again though. It’s rinse and repeat. I’m critical of him - probably overly so and I put my hand up but I am just so frustrated because he does have moments where he is a very good defender but when he cracks he spirals. Honestly over the last 12 or so games when has he stepped up and showed anything that resembles resilience? 

In an ideal world Keane and Mina are a top 6 centre half pairing but one performs inconsistent and the other can’t stay fit. We’re all looking for answers for the performances of the last few years but we won’t improve until we address this issue.

12 minutes ago, Btay said:

Until it gets tough again though. It’s rinse and repeat. I’m critical of him - probably overly so and I put my hand up but I am just so frustrated because he does have moments where he is a very good defender but when he cracks he spirals. Honestly over the last 12 or so games when has he stepped up and showed anything that resembles resilience? 

In an ideal world Keane and Mina are a top 6 centre half pairing but one performs inconsistent and the other can’t stay fit. We’re all looking for answers for the performances of the last few years but we won’t improve until we address this issue.

I understand your opinion of Keane. But Mina, Holgate and Godfrey have all been pretty shite at times too. Godfrey was great when he first arrived, if somewhat raw. Holgate just doesn’t look like a Premier League footballer anymore. Mina is a bit more stable (maybe wrong way to describe him) but he can’t stay fit. The point I’m trying to make is that for his faults we would be even more fucked without Keane as the other lads aren’t great either. 

7 minutes ago, StevO said:

I understand your opinion of Keane. But Mina, Holgate and Godfrey have all been pretty shite at times too. Godfrey was great when he first arrived, if somewhat raw. Holgate just doesn’t look like a Premier League footballer anymore. Mina is a bit more stable (maybe wrong way to describe him) but he can’t stay fit. The point I’m trying to make is that for his faults we would be even more fucked without Keane as the other lads aren’t great either. 

If Godfrey was 27 and been playing for us for 4/5 years I’d be the same towards him as I am Keane. He is young though but he needs to learn and learn fast. The one thing with Godfrey however is desire and attitude that gets him a little bit more grace. 

Mina is our best defender but as we both mentioned we can’t rely on someone for 15-20 games a season.

Holgate - I didn’t even mention because I agree with your points wholeheartedly.

Brainthwaite though I think could be a real gem and I really hope we can get him on the pitch.

27 minutes ago, Btay said:

If Godfrey was 27 and been playing for us for 4/5 years I’d be the same towards him as I am Keane. He is young though but he needs to learn and learn fast. The one thing with Godfrey however is desire and attitude that gets him a little bit more grace. 

Mina is our best defender but as we both mentioned we can’t rely on someone for 15-20 games a season.

Holgate - I didn’t even mention because I agree with your points wholeheartedly.

Brainthwaite though I think could be a real gem and I really hope we can get him on the pitch.

I’m not sure Godfrey would get half as much credit if he wasn’t as aggressive in his demeanour on the pitch. Don’t get me wrong, I love to see it, but there is no doubt in my mind that Keane would get less grief if he looked like he was more nasty and angry on this pitch, even with the same mistakes he’s made. It was the same with Jagielka, got loads of grief for not being a “leader”. These players are calm, managers like calm. For that same reason we’ll be seeing Keane play for Everton for another few years, even if we bring in another centre half. 

2 hours ago, StevO said:

I'm not sure what went wrong with Holgate, because he had so much potential a couple of years ago. Honestly, it just seems that he became too full of himself, too arrogant and over-confident - the complete opposite of Keane, who has lacked confidence.

Michael Keane is something of a barometer of the team's confidence, which has been very low of late.

Keane is a microcosm of the club. No leadership. Inconsistent. Lost in a sea of managers (what's he on his 5/6th manager now?). 

I've been saying/thinking this for 5 years. I get it's a numbers game and a squad is a squad but we've been playing guys who we know are not the answer for far too long. It's not just Keane. Schneiderlin, Walcott, Holgate, Bernard, Iwobi, Kenny etc. 

For me it has to be Mina and Godfrey rest of the season and when Mina gets hurt it's gotta be Branthwaite. We need to know if Mina and Godfrey can pair together and whether Branthwaite has a future. Right now we don't have any answers.   

2 hours ago, StevO said:

I’m not sure Godfrey would get half as much credit if he wasn’t as aggressive in his demeanour on the pitch. Don’t get me wrong, I love to see it, but there is no doubt in my mind that Keane would get less grief if he looked like he was more nasty and angry on this pitch, even with the same mistakes he’s made. It was the same with Jagielka, got loads of grief for not being a “leader”. These players are calm, managers like calm. For that same reason we’ll be seeing Keane play for Everton for another few years, even if we bring in another centre half. 

I find Micheal Keane anything but calm to be honest. Can’t compare him to Jags for a minute. He probably would get more grace but he also wouldn’t get bullied by nearly every striker we play against. 

That closing sentence sends chills down my spine

2 hours ago, AlbanyNYToffee said:

Keane is a microcosm of the club. No leadership. Inconsistent. Lost in a sea of managers (what's he on his 5/6th manager now?). 

I've been saying/thinking this for 5 years. I get it's a numbers game and a squad is a squad but we've been playing guys who we know are not the answer for far too long. It's not just Keane. Schneiderlin, Walcott, Holgate, Bernard, Iwobi, Kenny etc. 

For me it has to be Mina and Godfrey rest of the season and when Mina gets hurt it's gotta be Branthwaite. We need to know if Mina and Godfrey can pair together and whether Branthwaite has a future. Right now we don't have any answers.   

Hit the nail on the head.

Only problem is Mina getting injured.

6 hours ago, AlbanyNYToffee said:

If I saw Mina and Branthwaite lining up as a pair for a premier league game I’d have two other centre backs on the touch line warming up from the first minute. 

10 hours ago, Btay said:

I find Micheal Keane anything but calm to be honest. Can’t compare him to Jags for a minute. He probably would get more grace but he also wouldn’t get bullied by nearly every striker we play against. 

That closing sentence sends chills down my spine

Godfrey gets bullied way more than Keane does. The number of times Godfrey allows the striker to bring a long ball down at his feet infuriates me. Every time the ball went long in the Hull game and it was Godfrey v Eaves, the latter had the ball under control and they were starting an attack. They scored from one of them too. 

Keane is far more dominant in the air IMO, he just isnt as comfortable coming out of the line.

1 hour ago, Shukes said:

Bailey is just pointing out just how weak our team is at the back. 
Any sentence that includes “Keane is far more dominant” screams that we have a team of absolute melts!

Absolutely. Keane gets dominated by strikers under 6” and if he plays with Mina 9/10 times Mina has to take up the mantle with any sort of physical striker. 

• 1 month later...