IGNORED

Martinez - Direction?

MC11

Yep, same here.

Still not sure why he gets debated 3 years after he left. I'll give it another 3 years before I get really grumpy about it though.

To me it's a moot point. Moyes ran his contract down and left, we had no say in it. I was fine with it. Moyes left why do we need to discuss why it would or wouldn't be better with him. He left and failed in 2 jobs.

We have Martinez because Moyes left. I actually wish we made a move for another manager a good few years earlier. Everything was stale, boring and it showed in attendances.

Some good points but the way he attacks the fans who don't share his view just makes me want to ignore the whole thing.

He makes some very astute observations though that do cut through the psyche of many fans - Roberto is at a very crucial point in his Everton career in my eyes and from the perspective of "do I continue with my faltering faith in him?" - because lets be honest, he has tested it to the max.

If he is a "LEARN AND ADAPT" person, then I see no reason why he will not go on to be a highly succesful manager. If he is a manager who "Learned and strictly follows a philosophy" then he will fail.

The reason is football changes - therefore the requirement to adapt is a must. You can't stick the Everton team of 84-85 and say "play that way in every game against every team" in this day and age. Back in the 80's it was pretty much 4-4-2, two banks of 4, win your battle. I think football has more diverse strategies now than ever before.

You just need to look at the comments below the article to see the hypocrisy - fans are being so rigid in their opinion that he is stubborn.... yes he is somewhat stubborn - unfortunately that is required in football, if you admit being wrong and show too much "tinkering" then people will lose respect to a degree. The issue is many fans just don't want to give him any credit:-

• most of the good players are moyes's..... nonsense - he has reshaped the team and made it younger.
  • we did well the first season because it was Moyes defensive influence.... again nonsense, do experienced international defenders need a manager to teach them how to mark a player well?
  • he's a fraud.... not really, look what he did with swansea and wigan on peanuts...

I'm not saying he's perfect, he's had me tearing my hair out but I don't think some fans will be happy till he's gone because in their mind "they never wanted him as they thought he would take us down"

He makes some very astute observations though that do cut through the psyche of many fans - Roberto is at a very crucial point in his Everton career in my eyes and from the perspective of "do I continue with my faltering faith in him?" - because lets be honest, he has tested it to the max.

If he is a "LEARN AND ADAPT" person, then I see no reason why he will not go on to be a highly succesful manager. If he is a manager who "Learned and strictly follows a philosophy" then he will fail.

The reason is football changes - therefore the requirement to adapt is a must. You can't stick the Everton team of 84-85 and say "play that way in every game against every team" in this day and age. Back in the 80's it was pretty much 4-4-2, two banks of 4, win your battle. I think football has more diverse strategies now than ever before.

You just need to look at the comments below the article to see the hypocrisy - fans are being so rigid in their opinion that he is stubborn.... yes he is somewhat stubborn - unfortunately that is required in football, if you admit being wrong and show too much "tinkering" then people will lose respect to a degree. The issue is many fans just don't want to give him any credit:-

• most of the good players are moyes's..... nonsense - he has reshaped the team and made it younger.
  • we did well the first season because it was Moyes defensive influence.... again nonsense, do experienced international defenders need a manager to teach them how to mark a player well?
  • he's a fraud.... not really, look what he did with swansea and wigan on peanuts...

I'm not saying he's perfect, he's had me tearing my hair out but I don't think some fans will be happy till he's gone because in their mind "they never wanted him as they thought he would take us down"

Can't really argue with any of that. Like I've said a few times; I desperately want him to get it right because the plus points of Martinez are absolutely huge and he could achieve something very special.

I think the big thing in the near future that will tell us about Martinez and what his future with us is will be what he does when Tim Howard and John Stones are back fit. I actually feel a bit anxious about that.

Can't really argue with any of that. Like I've said a few times; I desperately want him to get it right because the plus points of Martinez are absolutely huge and he could achieve something very special.

I think the big thing in the near future that will tell us about Martinez and what his future with us is will be what he does when Tim Howard and John Stones are back fit. I actually feel a bit anxious about that.

I must admit - it's probably like Liverpool fans watching Daniel Sturridge.... 3 games fit, scoring goals and everything seems perfect "they have sorted the injury" - in the back of their mind they are just waiting for that news release "Sturridge out for 3 months"....

Don't be stupid Roberto...

Agreed with all of that apart from the comments about Moyes not having had an influence on our defence in the first season

Don't see how you could possibly dismiss that as nonsense given how shite our defence has been since then

A manager may not have to individually tell an international player how to mark but he is responsible for how they defend as a unit

Under Moyes we were very disciplined and extremely well organised under Roberto they look like they only met each other 5 minutes before kick off

A lot of it is also down to risk taking. Roberto applauded and encouraged Stones after his Cruyfgate moment . Moyes would have subbed him straight away and had him cleaning the toilets at Finch Farm for the next 6 months

He got it badly wrong again today

As soon as West Brom scored it was blatantly obvious that they would have absolutely no interest in playing football or venturing into our half yet Roberto still persisted with 2 defensive midfielders for another hour. When he did finally decide to make changes I think he also got them hopelessly wrong

He got it badly wrong again today

As soon as West Brom scored it was blatantly obvious that they would have absolutely no interest in playing football or venturing into our half yet Roberto still persisted with 2 defensive midfielders for another hour. When he did finally decide to make changes I think he also got them hopelessly wrong

And the fact they scored was a fluke! We battered them and there was nothing RM could've done about it. How is that Roberto getting it wrong?! They came playing for a desperate point, a sublime/mind numbingly boring defensive display. We battered them, they got soooooooooo lucky

And the fact they scored was a fluke! We battered them and there was nothing RM could've done about it. How is that Roberto getting it wrong?! They came playing for a desperate point, a sublime/mind numbingly boring defensive display. We battered them, they got soooooooooo lucky

West Brom were always going to play like that. No problem with the starting 11 but as soon as you could see it what they were upto it needed changing. Mirallas was the key to open the defence.

That is my point Matt , they were never going to venture forward in a million years , so why did we need 2 defensive midfielders on the pitch until the 82nd minute?

His subs were piss poor, the game was crying out for Miralls but he goes and throws on Kone. There really is no plan B with the man

Matt regardless of goal that's how they were going to play. There were no tactics. If we had played the same and they hadn't gotten a goal I'd still be livid cause it's fucking Goodison and a shit west brom team. We have no tactics to defeat that method regardless of the amount of times we've seen that formation and style of play in RM tenure.

Edited by markjazzbassist