IGNORED

Chelsea (Away)

markjazzbassist

The ref restarts his watch once the game kicks off. So if, from scoring to kick off again (Inc. Mori getting a yellow card for the celebration), it takes a minute or so, then the ref is dead right.

Funes Mori's goal occurred at precisely the 90:00 mark. That's the precise second the ball crossed the goal line. I've seen it 3 times.

The ensuing kickoff occurred at 91:15. So if the ref's watch began at 91:15, then the match would last until ~ 98:15. Is it SOP for referee to stop his watch in ET when a goal is scored, and to restart it at ensuing kickoff?

It wouldn't be surprising for the losing manager to lobby for an extra minute. Don't know whether refs routinely grant as much extra as occurred yesterday.

Been out of the loop a lot of the week-end (grandchild #9 being born with complications meaning #7 needed looking after, all fine now) but I had a conversation with my brother last night about this. He's not a rugby fan and had never seen a game before yesterday but he lives in Bordeaux at the moment and got invited to watch them play Exeter and really enjoyed it. Was particularly impressed by the video referral system.

Point is, within five seconds of Terry "scoring" yesterday the fourth official KNEW 100% that it was a mistake. He has headset access to the ref, so why in the hell is he not allowed to use it? What's the difference between that and goal-line technology? Close/arguable decisions could still go on the refs call (as happens in cricket) but such blatant errors could be wiped out overnight.

Happens in both rugby codes, cricket, tennis, hockey; in golf ffs someone watching on TV at home can notice a mistake, call it in and the right decision can be made hours later.

Insane.

Been out of the loop a lot of the week-end (grandchild #9 being born with complications meaning #7 needed looking after, all fine now) but I had a conversation with my brother last night about this. He's not a rugby fan and had never seen a game before yesterday but he lives in Bordeaux at the moment and got invited to watch them play Exeter and really enjoyed it. Was particularly impressed by the video referral system.

Point is, within five seconds of Terry "scoring" yesterday the fourth official KNEW 100% that it was a mistake. He has headset access to the ref, so why in the hell is he not allowed to use it? What's the difference between that and goal-line technology? Close/arguable decisions could still go on the refs call (as happens in cricket) but such blatant errors could be wiped out overnight.

Happens in both rugby codes, cricket, tennis, hockey; in golf ffs someone watching on TV at home can notice a mistake, call it in and the right decision can be made hours later.

Insane.

That would be like blatter and Platini saying "let's get delloite in"

Funes Mori's goal occurred at precisely the 90:00 mark. That's the precise second the ball crossed the goal line. I've seen it 3 times.

The ensuing kickoff occurred at 91:15. So if the ref's watch began at 91:15, then the match would last until ~ 98:15. Is it SOP for referee to stop his watch in ET when a goal is scored, and to restart it at ensuing kickoff?

It wouldn't be surprising for the losing manager to lobby for an extra minute. Don't know whether refs routinely grant as much extra as occurred yesterday.

Good info squire!

I've always believed that a ref will stop his watch to keep track of time remaining. But then the same should apply for Terry 's goal. What was the time on screen at the final whistle?

Good info squire!

I've always believed that a ref will stop his watch to keep track of time remaining. But then the same should apply for Terry 's goal. What was the time on screen at the final whistle?

The timing is a bit of a red herring imo. if there were two seconds left when Terry "scored" it doesn't matter how long they celebrate, there are still two seconds left when the game restarts because the celebration hasn't used up game-time, which Funes Mori's did.

Many congratulations!

Thanks Steve :).

The timing is a bit of a red herring imo. if there were two seconds left when Terry "scored" it doesn't matter how long they celebrate, there are still two seconds left when the game restarts because the celebration hasn't used up game-time, which Funes Mori's did.

Ahhh...also good point!!!

I don't see that at all. Sitting watching us hold out for 1-0 leads sometimes in the first half and drawing the game.

Watching Everton play under Moyes was like driving to work knowing you needed to get petrol... you spend the whole journey wondering if you will break down instead of enjoying the music on the stereo.

Semi final vs liverpool, final vs Chelsea. .. case closed.

On the other hand, as much as I enjoy watching us play good football, the frustration I feel week in week out when we don't win ruins it for me completely.

Supposed to!!!

But almost never happens then right? Almost every match I can remember, regardless of how long any celebrations lasted, the whistle usually blows pretty close to the stoppage time allotted.

I think the influence of Hiddink requesting an extra minute has a lot to do with the time added here, and that in itself is another issue altogether. If that truly is the case, then this just makes me fume even more - why on earth would they cater to his request? To me that is unacceptable practice and influencing the game in a manner that almost seems like its bordering on either being illegal or violating some FA rules. Whether it is or not I have no idea, but on paper it looks that way........

But almost never happens then right? Almost every match I can remember, regardless of how long any celebrations lasted, the whistle usually blows pretty close to the stoppage time allotted.

I think the influence of Hiddink requesting an extra minute has a lot to do with the time added here, and that in itself is another issue altogether. If that truly is the case, then this just makes me fume even more - why on earth would they cater to his request? To me that is unacceptable practice and influencing the game in a manner that almost seems like its bordering on either being illegal or violating some FA rules. Whether it is or not I have no idea, but on paper it looks that way........

But the discussion only applies to goals scored in stoppage time, so the length of celebrations during normal time are included in the "minimum of..." after ninety minutes. Grasping at straws here people, the added time is an irrelevance, it was probably justifiable.

Stick to the fact that it was offside and we're on solid ground.

But the discussion only applies to goals scored in stoppage time, so the length of celebrations during normal time are included in the "minimum of..." after ninety minutes. Grasping at straws here people, the added time is an irrelevance, it was probably justifiable.

Stick to the fact that it was offside and we're on solid ground.

Yes. Agreed!!!

Apologies...just realised I misread what you asked! As Mike says, the 90 second celebration that takes place within normal time will already be within the 'minimum extra time of....'

Are you saying we didn't play attractive football under Mike Walker??? We had world beaters in our team with the likes of Amokachi, Samways and Bakayoko ;-)

I can recall one cold midweek night away at Norwich shortly after we got him and sitting rock bottom of the league. If this forum was around then just imagine the comments.

We have the best bunch of players we have had for the last 20 years yet we sit in 11th. If Moyes had these players and had the backing of the chairman that he didn't have to sell anymore than I guarantee you he would have got more out of them.

Moyes couldn't have assembled this squad in his wildest dreams. Like RM or not, there is no debate whatsoever that Lukaku and Stones would not be here if RM wasn't the manager. McCarthy, Barry and Deulofeu as well for that matter.

Moyes couldn't have assembled this squad in his wildest dreams. Like RM or not, there is no debate whatsoever that Lukaku and Stones would not be here if RM wasn't the manager. McCarthy, Barry and Deulofeu as well for that matter.

Considering Stones was bought by Moyes, like Garbutt, Baines, Coleman - other attacking, technically gifted players, your argument gets a bit weaker. Barry is absolutely a Moyes type signing too (who I believe he would've signed, he has a track record of buying older players from the rich clubs), as is McCarthy, though I accept the latter probably wouldn't have joined.

Dunno about Geri. Moyes brought in a couple of very creative players and good goalscorers (though he systematically destroyed them too :lol:) but he wouldn't have had that Catalan link Roberto has.

Edited by Matt

Considering Stones was bought by Moyes, like Garbutt, Baines, Coleman - other attacking, technically gifted players, your argument gets a bit weaker. Barry is absolutely a Moyes type signing too (who I believe he would've signed, he has a track record of buying older players from the rich clubs), as is McCarthy, though I accept the latter probably wouldn't have joined.

Dunno about Geri. Moyes brought in a couple of very creative players and good goalscorers (though he systematically destroyed them too :lol:) but he wouldn't have had that Catalan link Roberto has.

But he'd have sold him to Chelsea in the Summer so as not to have held his career back surely :).

Lets face it, if moyes was still here we would see Distin and Jags still at the back, Stones would be playing for the under 21's in between loan spells and following the dier, mustafi and duffy route. Wigan made the first move for Stones and our scout had to convince moyes to move for him

Gerry would not be here - after 1 or 2 games he would have annoyed moyes with his inability to tuck and and be an extra defender like Royston did... as for Barkley, he would be playing the odd game at right mid in between loan spells to teams who are not oin his wavelength.

In short - Moyes has had a good footballing team before, he inherited the league winning squad of SAF and basically destroyed them.

I do not think he would offer us anything other than a sterile brand of football, a more robust defence and watching us play for 1-0 wins.... at least we can see what Martinez is trying to achieve, Moyes did not evolve in 10 year and that is why he is a pundit now.