IGNORED

Ademola Lookman

I really wanted to see him be successful for us - probably more than any other young player on our roster not named Davies. I still hope he develops into a solid EPL caliber player, as long as it's in another league.

Admittedly, the next game I manage will be my first.  I never saw anything from him that would have kept him off the bench if not the pitch itself. He didn't have a lot of "game-changing" moments when he did play, but I saw a player that was involved, moving and a bit tricky. Especially this last year I saw him being a bit more mature with his tricks (when and where on the pitch), and using his skills to get the ball to teammates, not just to open a space for a shot.

I'm honestly not sure why it didn't work for him here. I can only guess it was something in training or off the field that wasn't good enough. Not speculating he was selfish, aloof or a bad egg, but there had to be "something" beyond a fan's eye that made him expendable to Silva/Brands. 

https://www.fotmob.com/embed/news/6419009-Ademola-Lookman%3A-Everton-Will-Regret-Selling-Talented-Young-Englishman?utm_source=fotmob&utm_medium=api&partner=342902&show-title=true&show-reads-counter=true&show-date=true&show-author=true

Decent read.

I disagree with some of the conclusions; Lookman is disappointed to leave English football, we shouldn't let him go because we need a striker, we overlooked what he did on loan and that we will regret it. He choose RBL over English football (Derby) and is choosing to go back there, clearly that is a place he wants to be. We do need an additional striker, but Lookman is a wing, not an EPL striker - relevance?

I don't know why Silva and/or Brands were so high on him being part of the future last summer and considered him surplus this year. Even though I'm disappointed to see him go, they are making the big bucks full roster management decisions, not me. Clearly there is some logical or reasoning that we are not privy to.

19 hours ago, Ghoat said:

https://www.fotmob.com/embed/news/6419009-Ademola-Lookman%3A-Everton-Will-Regret-Selling-Talented-Young-Englishman?utm_source=fotmob&utm_medium=api&partner=342902&show-title=true&show-reads-counter=true&show-date=true&show-author=true

Decent read.

I disagree with some of the conclusions; Lookman is disappointed to leave English football, we shouldn't let him go because we need a striker, we overlooked what he did on loan and that we will regret it. He choose RBL over English football (Derby) and is choosing to go back there, clearly that is a place he wants to be. We do need an additional striker, but Lookman is a wing, not an EPL striker - relevance?

I don't know why Silva and/or Brands were so high on him being part of the future last summer and considered him surplus this year. Even though I'm disappointed to see him go, they are making the big bucks full roster management decisions, not me. Clearly there is some logical or reasoning that we are not privy to.

Dont forget that both Brands and Silva were new to the club last year and probably hadnt seen much of him prior to coming here. The game is filled with players who flash their brilliance but spend 90% of the time being mediocre or worse and dont fancy putting it in on the training ground. Just look at some of the lads we have had... Drenthe, Van der Mayde, McGeady... 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

According to Sky Sports, Newcastle have held ‘preliminary discussions’ with RB Leipzig over a deal for Lookman.

They claim: ‘Lookman wants to leave Leipzig, just six months after joining the Bundesliga club from Everton.

Lookman is supposedly on the ‘priority list’ for the current transfer window, and the club could make a loan offer with an option to buy at the end of the season.

That could be a brilliant piece of business for Steve Bruce and Newcastle if Lookman can showcase his ability, as he did during his loan spell at RB Leipzig.

According to Sky, while Steve Bruce is keen to bring in a winger this month, a striker is his priority.

Read this today. Doesn't seem like we're missing out on too much letting him go. 

I was so excited about Lookman, especially after he scored his debut goal against Manchester City but the fact that three managers overlooked him (Koeman, Allerdyce and Silva) plus Unsworth lead me to believe that not all was right behind the scenes. 

I don't necessarily think that he had a poor attitude but perhaps just wasn't good enough when push came to shove week in and week out on the training pitch. The fact that we were able to get so much for him after barely playing him and paying so much to Charlton was a great bit of business considering he was never likely to make it here and towards the end wanted to leave. 

Hindsight is a wonderful thing and it seems we made the right choice letting Ademola go. I don't think that moving to Newcastle is a fantastic move for him either, the amount of toxicity surrounding them makes any transfer a poisoned chalice - just looked at Joelinton.

1 minute ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

I was so excited about Lookman, especially after he scored his debut goal against Manchester City but the fact that three managers overlooked him (Koeman, Allerdyce and Silva) plus Unsworth lead me to believe that not all was right behind the scenes. 

I don't necessarily think that he had a poor attitude but perhaps just wasn't good enough when push came to shove week in and week out on the training pitch. The fact that we were able to get so much for him after barely playing him and paying so much to Charlton was a great bit of business considering he was never likely to make it here and towards the end wanted to leave. 

Hindsight is a wonderful thing and it seems we made the right choice letting Ademola go. I don't think that moving to Newcastle is a fantastic move for him either, the amount of toxicity surrounding them makes any transfer a poisoned chalice - just looked at Joelinton.

4 poor managers don’t use a talented youngster isn’t the best argument. Plus I’m pretty sure that during his time there was pressure from above to play the big money signings (the second on your list being the exception - he couldn’t find his arse with a map and a torch let alone a footballer). 

Lookman will be a good player but only if there’s good players around him. 

Just now, TallPaul1878 said:

The thing that strikes me most about Lookman is that he was such a precocious talent but it appeared he was lacking between the ears. I remember Rooney having to pull him around the pitch when setting up a defensive wall. Looked like a rabbit caught in the headlights.

I don't blame it entirely on the lad. It just wasn't an atmosphere suitable for the bedding in of a new young player. It is still like that today. We have gone from being one of the best clubs for a young player to get a start to one of the worst. 

Not knowing what to do as a youngster is quite normal, and a good manager will give clear, simple instructions. For me he was completely mismanaged.

Flash in the pan.  If he hadn’t scored that goal in his first appearance we wouldn’t be talking this.  That elevated the fans and coaches but he never produced much after that.  Too lightweight for this league, not strong enough, not fast enough either, he’s quick but I don’t remember him racing down the pitch dribbling like richarlison or Bernard does.

glad we sold and don’t think he will do well at Newcastle.

On 09/01/2020 at 17:43, Matt said:

Not knowing what to do as a youngster is quite normal, and a good manager will give clear, simple instructions. For me he was completely mismanaged.

I can understand a player not necessarily showing his best but Lookman showed beyond little, maybe one appearance in 10. When he got his chance he did nothing with it. 

I wouldn't disagree that maybe more could have been made of him by a different manager but there has to be serious doubts about whether a better manager would have been able to make him first team quality.

12 hours ago, Bailey said:

I can understand a player not necessarily showing his best but Lookman showed beyond little, maybe one appearance in 10. When he got his chance he did nothing with it. 

I wouldn't disagree that maybe more could have been made of him by a different manager but there has to be serious doubts about whether a better manager would have been able to make him first team quality.

The same argument was made about DCL, he needed a run just like any other player, to get going.

A few sub games, being dropped, loaned out, brought back and the whole time the club had a toxic atmosphere equals mismanaged for me. 

9 hours ago, Matt said:

The same argument was made about DCL, he needed a run just like any other player, to get going.

A few sub games, being dropped, loaned out, brought back and the whole time the club had a toxic atmosphere equals mismanaged for me. 

I think comparing DCL with Lookman is a testament to what hard work and lesser talent can achieve vs lots of talent and a questionable work ethic. 

48 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

I think comparing DCL with Lookman is a testament to what hard work and lesser talent can achieve vs lots of talent and a questionable work ethic. 

True about the hard work, but he had more of a chance in an area we were crippled at the time, and actually got a prolonged run of games. Lookman didn’t. 

9 hours ago, Matt said:

True about the hard work, but he had more of a chance in an area we were crippled at the time, and actually got a prolonged run of games. Lookman didn’t. 

Lookman had chances mate, he just couldn't help himself when he did get himself in with his feet through the door.

Fans were angry at how he was perceived to be treated but when a few mangers (albeit shit ones) and the under 21's manager question his attitude then you kinda feel that he's got issues despite talent. 

2 hours ago, Hafnia said:

Lookman had chances mate, he just couldn't help himself when he did get himself in with his feet through the door.

Fans were angry at how he was perceived to be treated but when a few mangers (albeit shit ones) and the under 21's manager question his attitude then you kinda feel that he's got issues despite talent. 

I'll never agree. A chance is 10 games in a row, ideally half a season.

Anyway, not here anymore so don't care :)