IGNORED

Ademola Lookman

I'm nowhere near a big fan of Lookman, he frustrates the shit out of me, but how can he not be a better option to play than Walcott? You can't just say Lookman shouldn't play because he's not showing consistency, he's getting a minute here, a start there, not even getting in the squad the next week. Meanwhile, Wally seems to run in quicksand, messes up his first touch over and over (not his hair though), has lost the ability to go forward and does fuck all defensively (what a myth it is that he helps out) meaning Coleman looks even worse.

20 hours ago, Shukes said:

Well of course not, he hasn’t played recently. Getting a minute here and there isn’t going to show anything. 

I havent looked to see how many minutes he has played but any player, young or old, needs to earn their spurs and as fans we can only judge them by what we see on the pitch.

20 hours ago, Shukes said:

Again, fans expect him to come in and win games singlehandedly. If he doesn’t, then he isn’t worth it.

Expectations can ruin players, unless you have progressive management .

I dont think anyone does think that do they? I dont get that impression from anyone. Personally I dont want to put too much pressure on him, because what will happen is that as soon as he does play crap from the start people will jump all over him. He needs time, he needs the team to be playing better for starter, and then he can come in, play 10-20-30 mins and then come in and start games where his qualities will be seen to best effect.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, DownUnderToff said:

Was impressive when he came on, has a real threat about him.  Wish this kid could get more minutes.

Couldn’t agree more, however that turn in our own box and then being dispossessed is why he doesn’t get as much game time. Needs his defensive decision making to improve. He is a young and exciting talent and I want us to keep him. 

3 hours ago, barryj said:

Couldn’t agree more, however that turn in our own box and then being dispossessed is why he doesn’t get as much game time. Needs his defensive decision making to improve. He is a young and exciting talent and I want us to keep him. 

i would also add he is bullied off the ball easily by big/physical/defensive sides ala Burnley.  a couple times the man challenged him and he didn't have the strength to fight him off and just crumpled like paper and lost the ball.  if he's not going to be able to win those battles that's fine, but he will have to figure out a way to beat his man when they go physical, via trickery or a quick burst of speed or something.  

3 hours ago, Palfy said:

Maybe a rough diamond but needs hell of a lot of cutting and polishing, can't see him getting in the team unless DCL is dropped and Richarlison is given the CF slot, other than that happening where does he fit in ?

He needs/needed game time, only real way to polish.  If they weren't going to take the risk and play him (like when we were average and Walcott was Walcott), then they should have loaned him out.

14 hours ago, Palfy said:

Maybe a rough diamond but needs hell of a lot of cutting and polishing, can't see him getting in the team unless DCL is dropped and Richarlison is given the CF slot, other than that happening where does he fit in ?

I agree mate, not seen much in his game this season. Not a lot of game time I know, but he needed to make more impact in the time he did get. 

• 3 weeks later...

People keep crying out for a number 10/challenge for Siggy. We have it in him; control, movement, wicked shot and work rate. I’ve been undecided on him for a long time because he’s supposedly a winger. He isn’t. He’s a central player. However, can’t see him getting a chance there and if the money is right, it’s best for us and him if he goes. 

We have it Bernard too but I really don’t want to break up his Digne link

8 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

he's not strong enough to be a 10 matt.  he's tiny and weak, he's pushed off the ball so easily.  david silva is tiny but he plays to the left or right in a midfield or as a forward for similar reasons.  

a less physical league like germany or spain would suit him more.  

Silva isn’t strong either, but he’s clever with his movements. Neither is Hazard or Mata, Messi or [insert name here]. Ossie, was a master of balance, movement and control. 

Im not saying he’s at their level, but that playing to his strengths would be beneficial to all concerned. Size is irrelevant if you’re clever and have good control. See Bernard. 

4 minutes ago, Matt said:

Silva isn’t strong either, but he’s clever with his movements. Neither is Hazard or Mata, Messi or [insert name here]. Ossie, was a master of balance, movement and control. 

Im not saying he’s at their level, but that playing to his strengths would be beneficial to all concerned. Size is irrelevant if you’re clever and have good control. See Bernard. 

i agree, my point is he doesn't have balance and skill to get past them like those you mentioned do.  he holds onto the ball to long and then is shoved off it.  in germany he did better because it's a more technical game and less physical.

1 minute ago, markjazzbassist said:

i agree, my point is he doesn't have balance and skill to get past them like those you mentioned do.  he holds onto the ball to long and then is shoved off it.  in germany he did better because it's a more technical game and less physical.

Disagree. German league is getting better because it incorporates both, and were not for money would’ve been a lot bigger because of it. But it’s still developing regardless. 

In my opinion, he does have the balance and skill (especially, we’ve seen it), to get past the best. His work need to be on position, and it’s hard to improve that if you’re told you’re a winger; he just isn’t. 

1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

Lookman skips past players with ease. Think he is lost out side personally. Looks an instinctive, street style footballer and I’d like to see him in the middle. 

1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

Plus he was mostly used against the poorer teams who are more comparable to the likes of Fulham. Personally think German football is struggling at the moment as the best teams in Germany tend to recruit from the teams below them in their own league whilst bleeding players abroad. 

3 minutes ago, pete0 said:

Plus he was mostly used against the poorer teams who are more comparable to the likes of Fulham. Personally think German football is struggling at the moment as the best teams in Germany tend to recruit from the teams below them in their own league whilst bleeding players abroad. 

agreed, dortmund and bayern are it and neither has been excellent since when they played in the CL final against each other almost a decade ago.  the finance is not there in that league.  davy klaassen walked into werder bremen and is a lynchpin major player for them after becoming a player not even on our bench!  

On 07/03/2019 at 13:42, pete0 said:

Against Liverpool Walcott was part of the strategy. He was often the furthest forward in hope of getting on to a DCL knock on. 

Really don't see why people want Lookman to be starting especially against a top 6 side, his off ball is no where near this level. He's good on the ball but you'd be sacrificing an awful lot of space which would leave Coleman exposed. 

Someone’s hacked Pete’s account because that all makes perfect sense !

I haven't seen enough from lookman in the time he has had to make me think he is a first team player in our current squad but the same could be said of DCL Walcott.In all honesty I need to see a lot more from Bernard as he didn't score or assist enough for me keeping in mind his pedigree. I think a striker and a right sided winger are priorities this season

5 minutes ago, memmaclub2 said:

I haven't seen enough from lookman in the time he has had to make me think he is a first team player in our current squad but the same could be said of DCL Walcott.In all honesty I need to see a lot more from Bernard as he didn't score or assist enough for me keeping in mind his pedigree. I think a striker and a right sided winger are priorities this season

This is it really. We are judging Lookman on a fleeting moment of football, whereas the club are judging him on attitude and application.

On 24/05/2019 at 07:44, Shukes said:

This is it really. We are judging Lookman on a fleeting moment of football, whereas the club are judging him on attitude and application.

As much as I want him to be good in an everton shirt he hasn't produced enough in the time he has been given. I think everyone is focuing on a loan spell in germany for there perception of his quality.

22 hours ago, memmaclub2 said:

As much as I want him to be good in an everton shirt he hasn't produced enough in the time he has been given. I think everyone is focuing on a loan spell in germany for there perception of his quality.

But people have seen glimpses of what he's capable of, and those things only come consistently after a run of games which he hasn't had. He's got a very bright future either here or somewhere else. 

7 hours ago, Aidan said:

But people have seen glimpses of what he's capable of, and those things only come consistently after a run of games which he hasn't had. He's got a very bright future either here or somewhere else. 

He showed some good ability and signs that we might have a diamond in rough in his 1sr season, with a goal in his 1st game and a few runs at defenders, and he has had opportunities to come on and stake a claim for the right wing spot but hasn’t shown he’s good enough, more because he can’t seem to play with in a structure with a defined role his game seems to be that of someone who wants a free role, but in Silva’s team you have to be prepared to work hard both ways and he is struggling to come to terms with that, that is why we see more of Walcott because he understands what is required, so for me he isn’t ready or good enough for this team imo.