IGNORED

Ademola Lookman

10 minutes ago, Matt said:

Yeah, when he’s fresh. My potential concern would be when he’s getting more tired, which we won’t know about unless he starts and builds up stamina. 

we just sub him at 60' like we do theo when he runs out of steam, no big deal.  to think Mola only has 30 min in him is comical at best

2 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

we just sub him at 60' like we do theo when he runs out of steam, no big deal.  to think Mola only has 30 min in him is comical at best

True, though then we lose that “unknown quantity” off the bench. The other concern is his discipline tracking back. There’s a couple of concerns but I think the next game could be a great opportunity for him too. Again, all for him starting but my expectations are more conservative that optimistic for a change 

He isn’t the type of winger to get chalk on his boots. Wants to come inside and not often get goal side of the defence. We need our wide men to pull the defenders apart, he was making it easy for them to stay tight. At one point Gylfi went wide right, I think to prove a point, and was then shouting telling him where to be, but didn’t make any difference.

People have been calling for him to start for a while, for me I’d still be playing Theo ahead of him. 

A very capable sub, but starting a game is completely different. Much more useful from the bench for me. 

1 hour ago, StevO said:

He isn’t the type of winger to get chalk on his boots. Wants to come inside and not often get goal side of the defence. We need our wide men to pull the defenders apart, he was making it easy for them to stay tight. At one point Gylfi went wide right, I think to prove a point, and was then shouting telling him where to be, but didn’t make any difference.

People have been calling for him to start for a while, for me I’d still be playing Theo ahead of him. 

A very capable sub, but starting a game is completely different. Much more useful from the bench for me. 

all true, only thing i'd disagree with is theo did absolutely nothing when he came on.  miscontrolled the ball a couple times and contributed little.  lookman contributes more in attack, i'd still start lookman.

8 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

all true, only thing i'd disagree with is theo did absolutely nothing when he came on.  miscontrolled the ball a couple times and contributed little.  lookman contributes more in attack, i'd still start lookman.

Thought Walcott did alright when he came on 

1 hour ago, Matt said:

He also made several breakaway runs down the wing. Like I said, he did alright. 

one of which broke down because he touched it and it went to the opposition.  he offers nothing more than pace for me.  lookman has creativity and is able to make runs into the box with his trickery.  

I thought Lookman showed a lot of versatility and risk in his passing. Sometimes it didnt work but there were other times when he took out a couple of defenders with one ball but unfortunatly the person receiving the ball did nothing with it.

I didnt think Walcott did too badly when he came on either but ultimately missed his big chances when played through by Pickford. 

I dont think there is much between them. 

4 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

Wasn’t it Lookman who lost the ball which resulted in there goal 

9 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Wasn’t it Lookman who lost the ball which resulted in there goal 

no, cenk makes a bad pass that lookman hustles to try and get and the newcastle man beats him to it.  lookman if anything was working hard to fix Cenk's mistake.

https://www.nbcsports.com/video/highlights-everton-1-newcastle-united-1

5 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

The first thing he did when he came on was hug the touch line, which in turn spreads the defence. It’s not always what you do on the ball that counts.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

I want him to take people on more. He doesn't do it often enough and it really grates on me.

Agree. He seems to try and, if it doesn’t work out, he’ll disappear for a period. That’s just experience though. 

1 hour ago, StevO said:

I’d like to see him get some chalk on his boots, never wants to go wide and always looking in the middle. Don’t mind if the full back is overlapping but that’s not happening. 

That’s because the fullback knows Lookman won’t track back and we’d be fucked on that flank

7 hours ago, StevO said:

I’d like to see him get some chalk on his boots, never wants to go wide and always looking in the middle. Don’t mind if the full back is overlapping but that’s not happening. 

I agree. Happy for him to look inside some of the time but I noticed he was frequently showing for kenny in the middle and not really in clear enough places when a dart down the wing would have opened things up. He has the skills to beat players uaing both feet and can come inside well so really should be looking down the line more often

15 hours ago, FairWooney said:

I agree. Happy for him to look inside some of the time but I noticed he was frequently showing for kenny in the middle and not really in clear enough places when a dart down the wing would have opened things up. He has the skills to beat players uaing both feet and can come inside well so really should be looking down the line more often

I like him inside, think that's where he is best. His passing is a good quality and he is very intelligent. 

5 hours ago, StevO said:

That’s fine if he’s playing in a central position. If he’s playing outside and comes central it makes it easy for the defence to stay tight, so you have to pull off something wonderful to make a difference. 

I agree. It's all about when you come inside.

Too soon and you clog up the centre of the park and make it easier to defend against, too late and you don't get involved in the game enough.

City's wingers are fantastic. Not because of their individual talent (well that too) but because their wingers stay wide until they are inside the final third. They spread the defence, it gives the central midfielders more space to make runs and it gives the wingers a great opportunity to get 1 v 1 or then 2 v 1 if the midfielder makes a run.