IGNORED

Ademola Lookman

2 hours ago, hafnia said:

All forwards need to work these days MJB.  Unless the forwards side is at a distinct advantage over their opponents you can't have a static front man.  

The high press is starting to get utilised by more and more sides.  Every front player needs to put in the hard yards. 

Daniel Sturridge for me is one of the best finishers we've seen in the league.  Up there with Aguero... but he can't be used as much as a player of his talents should because he doesn't work hard enough for klopps system. 

Said this to a friend of mine and he laughed at me.

Wonder what he could have achieved if he would have applied himself

24 minutes ago, Aidan said:

Said this to a friend of mine and he laughed at me.

Wonder what he could have achieved if he would have applied himself

He is up there with the best finishers I've seen in prem era.    Can score any range.  His left foot is surgical. 

If any player warrants the "Just get the ball to him" it's him.... but you can't play that way anymore.  The team loses shape and balance with him.  

3 hours ago, hafnia said:

All forwards need to work these days MJB.  Unless the forwards side is at a distinct advantage over their opponents you can't have a static front man.  

The high press is starting to get utilised by more and more sides.  Every front player needs to put in the hard yards. 

Daniel Sturridge for me is one of the best finishers we've seen in the league.  Up there with Aguero... but he can't be used as much as a player of his talents should because he doesn't work hard enough for klopps system. 

tons that don't track back, more than those that do.  just cause klopp has a worker doesn't mean everyone does.  aguero doesn't track back at all, he never defends.  

1 minute ago, markjazzbassist said:

tons that don't track back, more than those that do.  just cause klopp has a worker doesn't mean everyone does.  aguero doesn't track back at all, he never defends.  

I'd say he passively defends, i.e. he occupys a couple of players because the opposition know that if he's not marked, regardless of where he is on the pitch, he'll cause issues for them. That's the benefit of having a natural goal-scorer, it makes the opposition wary of committing  too many players and why I've got no issue with the striker not tracking back.

Just now, Matt said:

I'd say he passively defends, i.e. he occupys a couple of players because the opposition know that if he's not marked, regardless of where he is on the pitch, he'll cause issues for them. That's the benefit of having a natural goal-scorer, it makes the opposition wary of committing  too many players and why I've got no issue with the striker not tracking back.

haf thinks because kane and firmino track back now all the bigs do.  not the case at all.  PSG whole front line doesn't track back, neymar, mbappe, cavani.  juve?  don't see ronaldo and dybala defending.  barca?  hell no.

i agree with you matt, there is a benefit to both systems.  if you have a real athlete that won't get injured (ala Kane) you can have them run all day and be able to still attack in the box.  aguero types can't, he's injured often so he just poaches so to speak but i agree, but sitting back they have to be there to track him which opens space in the midfield.  klopp likes firmino to cmoe back because it brings a high defensive line which they then lump a bull up top for 1 of the forwards to run into on the counter.

13 hours ago, Btay said:

I’d be keeping Theo as starter but giving him notice that lookman is knocking on the door. If Theo isn’t firing against United sub at 60, give lookman 30 and if he takes that chance again, then he starts.

This. I think Theo was better in the 2nd half but he can do much more. Gradually getting Lookman on the pitch for him that bit sooner should give him the kick up the arse he needs and at the same time give Lookman the minutes he deserves (based on that one performance).

2 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

Why are you talking about tracking back?  I'm talking about high press/work rate. 

Lazy arsed forwards need not apply. 

1 minute ago, hafnia said:

Why are you talking about tracking back?  I'm talking about high press/work rate. 

Lazy arsed forwards need not apply. 

yeah aguero doesn't do much high press or work rate, neither does their other forward gabriel jesus.  neither does any of those guys i mentioned, messi just walks around half the time.  same wiht ronaldo.  

5 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

yeah aguero doesn't do much high press or work rate, neither does their other forward gabriel jesus.  neither does any of those guys i mentioned, messi just walks around half the time.  same wiht ronaldo.  

Again I bring you to my initial post....

5 hours ago, hafnia said:

All forwards need to work these days MJB.  Unless the forwards side is at a distinct advantage over their opponents you can't have a static front man.  

Further to this..... 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/2018/aug/24/sergio-aguero-pep-guardiola-manchester-city

Pep will not tolerate a striker not press from the front... If I I'd you picked up on jesus... He does press.  

12 minutes ago, hafnia said:

Again I bring you to my initial post....

5 hours ago, hafnia said:

All forwards need to work these days MJB.  Unless the forwards side is at a distinct advantage over their opponents you can't have a static front man.  

Further to this..... 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/2018/aug/24/sergio-aguero-pep-guardiola-manchester-city

Pep will not tolerate a striker not press from the front... If I I'd you picked up on jesus... He does press.  

must be a very loose interpretation of "work" then, because the vast majority of forwards i see out there don't track back unless it's a well drilled side ala Burnley defending in numbers or a high press tactics manager ala Klopp/Poch.  

51 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

must be a very loose interpretation of "work" then, because the vast majority of forwards i see out there don't track back unless it's a well drilled side ala Burnley defending in numbers or a high press tactics manager ala Klopp/Poch.  

Ffs I'm not talking about tracking back!!!!!

Liverpool don't track back they press and chase. I'm not talking about centre forwards getting back in their own half.  I'm talking about forwards actively trying to squeeze and win the ball from the defenders. 

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

I agree.  That friendly he showed what he is capable of.

There’s a slight difference in quality at the weekend. 

Cant fault his efforts in the friendly, but he won’t get that much time on the all if he plays so will be interesting to see how he does. Could be a litmus test for him

12 minutes ago, StevO said:

Doesn’t show anything at all for me, not even close to being an opposition of note. Playing in the premier league is worlds away from that. 

you misunderstood me ste.  he was giving it his all, trying everything, the majority of the guys were treating it like training.  he is giving his all and deserves a chance.  whether or not he was a worldie against lower opposition doesn't matter to me, it's effort and heart.  he is showing that. 

7 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

you misunderstood me ste.  he was giving it his all, trying everything, the majority of the guys were treating it like training.  he is giving his all and deserves a chance.  whether or not he was a worldie against lower opposition doesn't matter to me, it's effort and heart.  he is showing that. 

I see players putting in effort and heart as a basic requirement, only worry about that when it’s not there. I have a lot of hope for the kid, but show it in the premier league and I’ll be impressed. 

If he starts he’s favourite to go on the right being naturally right footed which I don’t feel would benefit the team. 

I know most don’t like Walcott and felt he was poor today, not me the amount of work he did off the ball was unselfish he plugged holes and backed Coleman up, Hazard started on our right but didn’t really get much joy because he wasn’t given the space to work in due to Walcott getting back and filling gaps he likes to play in. 

Then he switched to our left and got a lot more time and space and started to dictate the game, and the biggest reason for that was Bernard, he didn’t have the intelligence or experience to help the left back and left Digne exposed, for me Bernard was far poorer than Walcott today with the amount of work he did off the ball, he’s one of them players because of his size that looks pleasing to watch but although he can look busy his contribution to the team is low. 

So if Lookman is to start it would be Bernard that would make way for him, and then you have to think would that be detrimental to Lookmans own game playing on his unfavoured side, but I wouldn’t swap him for Walcott and leave the biggest problem of Bernard.