IGNORED

Chelsea (Away) Sunday August 27th

markjazzbassist

Got a trip to Croatia before this one so hoping everyone stays healthy. They love to sit back and counter but will be home so will need to attack some. Schneiderlin on red card.

Pickford

Holgate Keane Jags Baines

Klaassen Gana Davies

Sandro DCL Rooney

I think we'll see gylfi get some sub time as well.

Edited by markjazzbassist

According to Koeman, Klaasen out this week and Sandro in doubt. Chelsea have been playing 3 at the back and a 4 or 5 man midfield for the past 2 games, so I can see us lining up with a pretty similar lineup from the City game.

Pickford

Williams Keane Jags

Holgate Davies Gana Thor Baines

Rooney DCL

According to Koeman, Klaasen out this week and Sandro in doubt. Chelsea have been playing 3 at the back and a 4 or 5 man midfield for the past 2 games, so I can see us lining up with a pretty similar lineup from the City game.

Pickford

Williams Keane Jags

Holgate Davies Gana Thor Baines

Rooney DCL

Didn't we go 3 at the back there last season and get absolutely mauled?

Actually can't believe there are sane people advocating that formation.

Didn't we go 3 at the back there last season and get absolutely mauled?

Actually can't believe there are sane people advocating that formation.

Yeah but I'm not in charge of the teamsheet. It was more a guess at what Koeman will put up than what I want. 3 at the back is the new false 9.

We also had Stek, Cleverly, Funes Mori and Oviedo in that lineup to be fair.

Pickford.

Holgate. Keane. Williams. Jags. Baines.

Besic. Gana. Gylfi.

DCL. Rooney.

If Besic is not available due his father then Davies, Holgate and Baines need to try and play most of the game in there half if Koeman goes with a back three.

Totally messed up there on original put Schneiderlin in.

Edited by Palfy

We've gone temporarily from having a surfeit of DMs (Schneiderlin, Gana, Barry, McCarthy, Besic, Davies) to maybe having only Davies available for Chelsea. So, because of Barry's departure, Schneiderlin's red, McCarthy's injury, Gana's knock, and Besic's bad news, we may finally get a chance to see Koeman play a single DM. Weird, weird combination of circumstances for tomorrow.

If Besic doesn't play, I hope Koeman will not risk long-term injury to less-than-fit Gana.

Hard to guess what tomorrow's starters and formation might be. Maybe .......

Pickford

Keane Williams Jagielka

Martina Davies Baines

Lennon Sigurdsson Mirallas

Rooney

Subs - DCL, Lookman, Holgate

I think it'll be this team

Pickford

Martina Keane Jagielka Williams Baines

Davies Klaassen

DCL Rooney Sigurdssen

Would prefer

Pickford

Holgate Keane Williams Baines

Martina Davies Klaassen Mirallas

Rooney DCL

Martina to put a few crosses on to young Dominic's head.

Pete0- Koeman said before 2d Split match that Klaassen was out until after international break. Injuries are really limiting Koeman's options for Chelsea. Minor miracle to take a point from this one.

Maybe, but they're down Hazard and don't look to have really gelled yet, either.

Maybe, but they're down Hazard and don't look to have really gelled yet, either.

Admittedly, your optimism is more uplifting than my pessimism. In terms of jelling, it does seem to me that this dismaying set of long-and-short-term injuries means that whatever team Koeman starts, they will likely still be very new to each other collectively, and so will have to figure out each other's play almost on the pitch as play proceeds. I'll be happy with a point.

The news that Mirallas isn't in today's squad and may be going out on loan (or sold??) discourages me. Good heavens, with all our injuries and the Besic situation, surely we very much need him today.

I think I recall when he was substituted out of the first Hajduk Split match around the 75' mark, he looked angry. Wonder whether he and Koeman exchanged harsh words after that match.

I like Mirallas, do find his inconsistency - and maybe immaturity (?) - frustrating. I thought a few weeks back that until Bolasie returns, Mirallas and Lookman would compete for major minutes on the wing. This situation is frustrating, I guess for all concerned.

As Davies looks certain to play DCM today, our attacking options appear to be Rooney, Sigurdsson, DCL, Lookman, and Lennon.

Edited by Elston Gunnn

Koeman is circling the wagons as we speak. A spare penknife to each player for the gun fight...

Let's hope any potential targets choose not to watch sky today.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean here. I might guess, but would prefer you say a bit more, so the slower among us can catch your drift.

I myself - one of the slow ones - don't see that Koeman has much choice other than to circle the wagons for this (one) match. For, it appears to me that 6 or 8 possible "regulars" are unavailable today.

I concede that it might be ugly for Everton today. But as this is (1) the 4th match in 11 days, coming at the (2) very early (EL) beginning of the season and (3) pretty quickly after travel, with (4) numerous first-choice players unavailable, I'm not much inclined to blame Koeman for whatever wagon-circling he organizes for this specific match.

I don't know that we'll be able to tell much about Koeman's approach to this season from this specific weird-circumstances match. But I infer you disagree, and so want to hear more. Seriously.

Edited by Elston Gunnn

Gana will start with Morgan being out. Davies along with him.

Wouldn't surprise me, but we've had several signals over past week that Gana has a real knock and is doubtful. I hope he doesn't play. I'd rather lose a point today than lose Gana for several weeks. We have 6 matches in 18 days in last half of September.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean here. I might guess, but would prefer you say a bit more, so the slower among us can catch your drift.

I myself - one of the slow ones - don't see that Koeman has much choice other than to circle the wagons for this (one) match. For, it appears to me that 6 or 8 possible "regulars" are unavailable today.

I concede that it might be ugly for Everton today. But as this is (1) the 4th match in 11 days, coming at the (2) very early (EL) beginning of the season and (3) pretty quickly after travel, with (4) numerous first-choice players unavailable, I'm not much inclined to blame Koeman for whatever wagon-circling he organizes for this specific match.

I don't know that we'll be able to tell much about Koeman's approach to this season from this specific weird-circumstances match. But I infer you disagree, and so want to hear more. Seriously.

I'll summarise....

If we have 3 centre halves, 2 full backs and 2 two defensive midfielders he can fuck off.

I'll summarise....

If we have 3 centre halves, 2 full backs and 2 two defensive midfielders he can fuck off.

It's got to be a balancing act away to Chelsea with the current injuries and suspension. We lost both matches against them last season so I'd happily take a point from this away game and worry about great performances and attacking flair later in the season after we get these tricky fixtures wedged after European games out the way. It won't be pretty today but unfortunately its the only way we have any chance of taking anything from the game. City revisited I think.

I'll summarise....

I wonder whether we have even 2 DCMs healthy. And the only healthy one - Davies - has been playing all over the place this season.

But the scenario you present is, yes, a real possibility. I'll still guess (wildly) that it will be more like a 3-3-3-1. Which would mean 6 predominantly defensive players, rather than the 7 in your scenario.