IGNORED

Chelsea (League Cup away) - Wednesday 25th October

FairWooney

That second half was brilliant. A million miles from the crap we were seeing. Not everyone played well, but they all had a right good go and that is what matters. 

We created more and better chances than them but they have the more clinical players which is the difference. 

Thats the first time I have been proud of a performance for a long time.

1 minute ago, johnh said:

Lets  hope Unsworth sees that Rooney on his own up-front is a waste of a shirt.  Both Chelsea's goals came from corners, something needs sorting there.

DCL & Niasse need to start as twin strikers.

Agree for the first corner, but the second was just extremely well played

1 minute ago, johnh said:

Lets  hope Unsworth sees that Rooney on his own up-front is a waste of a shirt.  Both Chelsea's goals came from corners, something needs sorting there.

DCL & Niasse need to start as twin strikers.

I thought we were best when Rooney was behind DCL and I would start with that at the weekend. Vlasic for Lennon and maybe Keane/Holgate in but that's it. 

Just now, Bailey said:

I thought we were best when Rooney was behind DCL and I would start with that at the weekend. Vlasic for Lennon and maybe Keane/Holgate in but that's it. 

Different team then? 😂😂

Missed the DC-L goal because I turned it of after Chelsea's second:rolleyes:. Great performance second half; by far the better team undone by finishing and good goalkeeping. If Rooney had scuffed his chance into the turf rather than catching it cleanly it might well have gone in. Didn't get what we deserved. which was extra time at least.

Just now, yamar said:

That Benji proved you don't need a 60 yard showboater all the time. Kept it really simple. Moved the ball side to Side and was always available for anyone.

And you have to think that lad must have had nerves getting called up. Would have thought he was our 45million pound signing.

Rooney seems to be going through the motions every game now.

Like when you play five a side and you just want to score so arnt arsed about anything else in the game. Just hanging about waiting.

We got our Everton back. :yay:

So good to have pace and width, ok Lennon offers energy but little creativity but its great to have two wingers playing at the same time.

Davies got better and better as the game went on, Jon Jo was very good and put in some dangerous crosses.

Benji looked very promising, and McCarthy offered energy in midfield.

The energy and will to play attacking football was great.

Really hope we kick on now, starting against Leicester.

Good team performance, or at the very least a better team performance.

For such a late call up, young Benji stood out. Looked real good. Started slow but got into it.

Rooney frustrated me. Kept dropping back to the point that we had no one up front. He can't hold his position up there so play him deeper.

We've got something to build on from this game. Loved Unsy pointing the players to the fans at the end, and the fans looked respondent to that. Get the love between team and fans back and that alone is a giant leap forward.

Good signs of there being more urgency and speed within our play.

Something to look forward to.

14 minutes ago, London Blue said:

We got our Everton back. :yay:

So good to have pace and width, ok Lennon offers energy but little creativity but its great to have two wingers playing at the same time.

Davies got better and better as the game went on, Jon Jo was very good and put in some dangerous crosses.

Benji looked very promising, and McCarthy offered energy in midfield.

The energy and will to play attacking football was great.

Really hope we kick on now, starting against Leicester.

Swap Lennon for Vlasic and we got that bit of extra quality. DCL uptop and gylfi in behind.

mccarthy was excellent as well. I've forgotten what he offers

45 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Here's my brother from another mother :lol: 

I know it sounds miserable but that was Chelseas 3rd string to 2nd string players bar a couple of late subs and we still got beat. It’s not good enough. Our first string should be beating them easily.

I’m worried- because regardless of who we bring in we are going to struggle to score goals.  The more it goes on the more fucking furious I am that we never replaced Lukaku.

20 minutes ago, Paddock said:

I know it sounds miserable but that was Chelseas 3rd string to 2nd string players bar a couple of late subs and we still got beat. It’s not good enough. Our first string should be beating them easily.

I’m worried- because regardless of who we bring in we are going to struggle to score goals.  The more it goes on the more fucking furious I am that we never replaced Lukaku.

That wasn't our first string though. It was half the u23, half seniors trying after 1 day of training together and we battered them second half. It won't change literally  overnight and we were punished by 2 excellent finishes following 2 of the 3 total they had. The result was disappointing but the way we played second half at least was very encouraging. 

2 minutes ago, Matt said:

That wasn't our first string though. It was half the u23, half seniors trying after 1 day of training together and we battered them second half. It won't change literally  overnight and we were punished by 2 excellent finishes following 2 of the 3 total they had. The result was disappointing but the way we played second half at least was very encouraging. 

Matt- there was one rezzy player in the team- every other player was either an established experienced premier league player or has played regular this season. We should have put our strongest side out and tried to beat them- it was a chance for a trophy and also a win at a ground we’ve not won at since the 90s to give us a massive confidence boost.  

Chelsea played a really inexperienced team and they still beat us- it’s not good enough.

What also pisses me iff is headlines in the Echo of a satisfying gutsy defeat- against Chelseas3rd team?? Fucking hell have we really got as bad as patting ourselves on the back for getting beat by a bunch of kids who have never played a first team game for them.

No wonder we’re always getting beat when we have an attitude like that.

seriously?  some people were offering excuses that we were beat by Man United, that City was a good result - they were far from good results or performances.....

I don't care who you are playing - there needs to be some substance/system/energy/tempo/desire whoever it is you are playing....

last night is the ONLY TIME this season I have seen it.... 

I couldn't care less if that was Rotherham we were playing - it actually resembled a team of 11 players who weren't confused - they knew their job.  For the first time we looked like we had a clue what to do....

BTW that Chelsea side was of a more than decent quality. 

Last night was the first positive thing I've seen this season....

If we are accepting as given that Chelseas second and third string players canbeat our first team then we are absolutey fucked. Only Cahill Willian and Zappacosta get anywhere near their first team regular the rest are not even subs a lot of the time.

I’m not jumping on Unsworth here, I’m not stupid, I know he wont turn it round in a couple of days but the Echo being proud of the defeat and some fans accepting it as the norm is fucking outrageous it really is. We should have looked at that last night as an opportunity to get some belief back in the squad and a chance to progress in a cup- instread we’re patting ourselves on the back for getting beat by Chelsea reserves.

Thing is, if that was Chelsea’s 2nd string then it was ours too. It just so happens that they have a lot more quality beyond their regular xi. 

Rudiger plays most games, Drinkwater is only just back from injury, Christiansen and Batshuayi a top prospects who get in every Chelsea squad - plus they brought on Morata, Pedro and Cesc compared to Niasse, Lookman and Calvert-Lewin.

Let’s not forget the players we didn’t play for whatever reason.