IGNORED

Lyon (Europa Group Stage Away) Thursday November 2nd

markjazzbassist

1 minute ago, mcirony said:

I think we need Pochettino to take the team out for a meal. It worked for Spurs!

Just don't get ranieri in. He'll do the pizza trick and Williams will be classed as disabled after he's finished in there.

We need a manager to come in and be steady at both things, i.e. Attack and defend. Nothing fancy just get back to basics and stop losing games never mind win games. It's not crisis time it's steady the ship time and build from there. We could get a Silva or another nice playing manger and end up in a relegation battle if we don't sort out the basics first. I'm all for good attacking football but at the minute its not what we need. Forget ambition save that for next season.

3 hours ago, Aidan Lewis said:

Schneiderlin has been our worst performer this season when he's been on the pitch. Abosultely nothing going forward and throws himself about the pitch like a Sunday league player. Sideways balls, no range of passing, shows nothing going forward What so ever.

Could easily be on about Gana.

People lauded Koeman for getting rid of Martinez's players for his own. Now it's this new shite that Unsworth had been lumbered with yet he gets the blame for them not being up to the job. Clear out needed, play the u23's if need be. 

38 minutes ago, pete0 said:

Could easily be on about Gana.

People lauded Koeman for getting rid of Martinez's players for his own. Now it's this new shite that Unsworth had been lumbered with yet he gets the blame for them not being up to the job. Clear out needed, play the u23's if need be. 

The U23s have been our best players in the last 4 games. 

Unsworth really can't be blamed for this loss. Clearly, his brief is to prioritize results in the PL. If Gueye had scored tonight and Schneiderlin not been a complete idiot, the result could have been quite different. Unsworth had the guts to play a couple of the younger players, and they were Everton's best players tonight. Weird though it might seem at first sight to play Kenny on the left, for example, it made sense to me.

The person who really should be ashamed is Schneiderlin. It's almost as if he wanted to be sent off. His performances this season stink, absolutely stink, and I see no value in playing him right now. He should be sidelined until his attitude changes.

Since Koeman began his stint as manager, I've been a bit of a moaning minnie about his abilities and also the calibre of some of the players he's brought in. Unfortunately, much of my negativity was justified. On the other hand, while many are now in the depths of despair, I'm actually not. With Koeman now gone, I'm tending toward a more positive outcome. I really don't believe there's a danger of Everton being relegated. We're barely a quarter of the way through the season, have played most of the top teams, and a string of three or four wins would easily put us in the top half of the table. Not having the extra load of the Europa league will be a positive right now, not a negative.

And for pity's sake, let's give Unsworth until at least the end of the year and stop these calls for Crooked Sam to be considered. If anything is getting me down right now, it's the thought of Everton forgetting its values and hiring someone who should be banned from management altogether.

6 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

And for pity's sake, let's give Unsworth until at least the end of the year and stop these calls for Crooked Sam to be considered. If anything is getting me down right now, it's the thought of Everton forgetting its values and hiring someone who should be banned from management altogether.

Agree with all of the above post Steve, particularly the last para

10 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

The person who really should be ashamed is Schneiderlin. It's almost as if he wanted to be sent off. His performances this season stink, absolutely stink, and I see no value in playing him right now. He should be sidelined until his attitude changes.

Looked that way to me as well. Baningime, from his little stint so far,  should be first choice. 

11 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

Unsworth really can't be blamed for this loss. Clearly, his brief is to prioritize results in the PL. If Gueye had scored tonight and Schneiderlin not been a complete idiot, the result could have been quite different. Unsworth had the guts to play a couple of the younger players, and they were Everton's best players tonight. Weird though it might seem at first sight to play Kenny on the left, for example, it made sense to me.

Since Koeman began his stint as manager, I've been a bit of a moaning minnie about his abilities and also the calibre of some of the players he's brought in. Unfortunately, much of my negativity was justified. On the other hand, while many are now in the depths of despair, I'm actually not. With Koeman now gone, I'm tending toward a more positive outcome. I really don't believe there's a danger of Everton being relegated. We're barely a quarter of the way through the season, have played most of the top teams, and a string of three or four wins would easily put us in the top half of the table. Not having the extra load of the Europa league will be a positive right now, not a negative.

Sound- lets get relegated then and keep our values.

This is the bit you’ll never understand Steve- you just don’t get it.

14 minutes ago, Paddock said:

Sound- lets get relegated then and keep our values.

This is the bit you’ll never understand Steve- you just don’t get it.

If there’s one thing I’ve learned in life (playing the age card here :mellow:), it’s that values and reputation count for more than anything. It takes a lifetime to build a reputation and an instant to lose it. For me, this applies to clubs as much as to individuals. We may have to agree to disagree on this point. Winning is the goal, of course, but not at any cost. 

16 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

If there’s one thing I’ve learned in life (playing the age card here :mellow:), it’s that values and reputation count for more than anything. It takes a lifetime to build a reputation and an instant to lose it. For me, this applies to clubs as much as to individuals. We may have to agree to disagree on this point. Winning is the goal, of course, but not at any cost. 

Sunderland, Coventry, Leeds, Forest, Ipswich and Aston Villa will all tell you an entirely different story. I’m not arsed about reputation, I just want success. Going down would be an absolute disaster for us- we could kiss the stadium goodbye for starters.

1 hour ago, Cornish Steve said:

Values and reputation are only recognised by other people with values and reputation; the rest of the time you get taken advantage of. Successful clubs (United under SAF, Chelsea) incite more loathing than admiration. The only real success is winning. Sad, but true.

1 hour ago, Cornish Steve said:

Your not alone mate. I’ve seen more to be positive about in the last three matches than in the last six months.... and we have lost them all.  Unfortunately some cannot see past the stay at the end of the match...there’s no big picture or long con, just an instant gratification of a result.

results at all that count... 

try telling that to the German youth team that stepped up to the senior squad. They lost, huffed and puffed and lost again.

On 03/11/2017 at 13:56, Paddock said:

Sunderland, Coventry, Leeds, Forest, Ipswich and Aston Villa will all tell you an entirely different story. I’m not arsed about reputation, I just want success. Going down would be an absolute disaster for us- we could kiss the stadium goodbye for starters.

And I'll never understand wanting success no matter what. Our values are what make the club different from the red lot, City, Chelsea etc. 

1 hour ago, Matt said:

And I'll never understand wanting success no matter what. Our values are what make the club different from the red lot, City, Chelsea etc. 

And who decides which of our values are worth more than others? You? Me? The fella in seat 24 row B? Because I'm pretty sure our values will include winning and being the best.

2 hours ago, Matt said:

So you’d sooner have values and be Portsmouth then?? 

I always wonder when people go on about our “values” is it just an excuse for us being shit- sort of like well we’ve not won anything for 20 odd years but we have values so that’s ok. What are these “values”  we have players fighting on the pitch, one of our fans trying to punch an opposition player with a child in his arms, our home support is none existent, our fans giving players and staff grief all over social media and the apparent dogs abuse Barkley gets. We’re no different to any other club really are we- yes we do excellent work in the community but so do a lot of other clubs- Manchester City have revamped areas in Manchester that were run down, creating jobs and homes for peope and they are atill successful.

2 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

And who decides which of our values are worth more than others? You? Me? The fella in seat 24 row B? Because I'm pretty sure our values will include winning and being the best.

I'm not dictating the values, just sharing my input. 

Yes, winning is what it's all about. But doing it right, honest, hard work coupled with skill. That's what I want to see, and not throwing away those values for a piece of metal. Being the best, for me, isn't just win at all costs; it's doing it right. 

3 hours ago, Paddock said:

So you’d sooner have values and be Portsmouth then?? 

I always wonder when people go on about our “values” is it just an excuse for us being shit- sort of like well we’ve not won anything for 20 odd years but we have values so that’s ok. What are these “values”  we have players fighting on the pitch, one of our fans trying to punch an opposition player with a child in his arms, our home support is none existent, our fans giving players and staff grief all over social media and the apparent dogs abuse Barkley gets. We’re no different to any other club really are we- yes we do excellent work in the community but so do a lot of other clubs- Manchester City have revamped areas in Manchester that were run down, creating jobs and homes for peope and they are atill successful.

Don't let Paddock anywhere near our PR department!!!

He’s right our fans have been awful recently. But isn’t this part of the problem? Our fans are already wanting us to be like those teams that win at all costs, and it’s rubbing off on them.

just to point out though. Matt is not saying in any way shape or form that we wants us to relegated or shit with good morals. He is pointing out that he wants us to win, but not at the expense of our identity.

And I’m with him 100% in that.