IGNORED

Summer Transfer Window

Aidan

9 hours ago, nogs said:

I know you'll never agree with me but we really haven't got the sixth best squad in the league. We're paper thin in key positions regardless of some of the big bucks we've thrown around, we've signed a lot of mediocre shite. The fact that Schneiderlin plays as soon as we have injuries in midfield - weak. The fact that Tosun is our back up striker - weak. The fact that Keane and Mina are our fist choice CBs with only Holgate in reserve - fml! We're not a strong side/squad in all respects of the word. And yeah, I agree with you now, the manager isn't good enough either. I just wanted to see if he could kick on from a good run last season. 

Leicester and WHU have some real gems in their squad, if they continue bulding they will easily take over us - that is to say if they haven't already done so.

19 minutes ago, Aidan said:

Leicester and WHU have some real gems in their squad, if they continue bulding they will easily take over us - that is to say if they haven't already done so.

But they'll still have the problem we've had over the years; as soon as those gems become good enough to take them to the next level some "big" six team will come in and offer them stupid amounts to go and sit on their bench.

Just now, MikeO said:

But they'll still have the problem we've had over the years; as soon as those gems become good enough to take them to the next level some "big" six team will come in and offer them stupid amounts to go and sit on their bench.

Yeah Maddison is already tippped to go to United. Dont understand why he would though.

• 1 month later...

Couldn't find the old Gueye thread so just leaving this here. Caught some live bits of them beating Lille and was curious what sort of impact he's had at PSG. Here's what it looks like:

PSG competitive games before today: 17 with a record of 14-0-3

Gueye started 11. Didn't appear in other 6.

Record in 11 he started: 10-0-1 with 9 clean sheets (including the first 8 games he started)
Record in 6 he didn't:  4-0-2 with 3 clean sheets. 

Miss watching him his work rate and ability to break up play. 

20 minutes ago, AlbanyNYToffee said:

Couldn't find the old Gueye thread so just leaving this here. Caught some live bits of them beating Lille and was curious what sort of impact he's had at PSG. Here's what it looks like:

Record in 11 he started: 10-0-1 with 9 clean sheets (including the first 8 games he started)

He had a good assist today. 

13 hours ago, AlbanyNYToffee said:

Putting it here constitutes reckless pollution 😉

• 4 weeks later...

Fingers crossed on Ancelotti. Brands has moved mountains so far but there's still so much to be done.

GK: Pickford, Lossl, JVirginia
DEF: Holgate, Keane, Digne, Mina, Coleman, Kenny
MID: Delph, Gylfi, Morgan, Andre, Gbamin, Davies
W: Richarlison, Walcott, Iwobi, Bernard 
ST: DCL, Tosun, Kean

Out of contract: Stek, Baines, Sidibe (loan end), Cuco, Garbutt, Niasse 
Dead wood: Bolasie, Sandro, Besic
Youth likely to be gone: Pennington, Connolly, Beni, Dowell, Broadhead, Bowler, Hornby

If we could get $95m from Keane($20m), Gylfi ($20m), Morgan ($15m), Tosun ($15m), Bolasie ($10m), Sandro ($5m), Besic ($5m), and combined youth ($5m) that would set us up to spend $150-200m on the spine. CB, CM, ST. Plug gap at backup LB with a similar Sidibe type deal. 

11 minutes ago, AlbanyNYToffee said:

Fingers crossed on Ancelotti. Brands has moved mountains so far but there's still so much to be done.

GK: Pickford, Lossl, JVirginia
DEF: Holgate, Keane, Digne, Mina, Coleman, Kenny
MID: Delph, Gylfi, Morgan, Andre, Gbamin, Davies
W: Richarlison, Walcott, Iwobi, Bernard 
ST: DCL, Tosun, Kean

Out of contract: Stek, Baines, Sidibe (loan end), Cuco, Garbutt, Niasse 
Dead wood: Bolasie, Sandro, Besic
Youth likely to be gone: Pennington, Connolly, Beni, Dowell, Broadhead, Bowler, Hornby

If we could get $95m from Keane($20m), Gylfi ($20m), Morgan ($15m), Tosun ($15m), Bolasie ($10m), Sandro ($5m), Besic ($5m), and combined youth ($5m) that would set us up to spend $150-200m on the spine. CB, CM, ST. Plug gap at backup LB with a similar Sidibe type deal. 

95 million for Keane not a chance. 

43 minutes ago, AlbanyNYToffee said:

32 minutes ago, Palfy said:

95 million for Keane not a chance. 

He's suggesting $95m in total, just the $20m for Keane.

Think most of those values are optimistic. Problem is getting rid of their wages. Morgan is making 100kpw, who will pay 15 million plus that? Sandro we'd probably give away for free to get rid of his wages. Keane sounds about right but I doubt anyone would pay 20 million for a 30-year old Gylfi or 15 million for Tosun or especially 10 for Bolasie.

50 minutes ago, AlbanyNYToffee said:

too many players to replace that would cost way too much.  it's going to be 3-4 in, 3-4 out each window.  I think half that amount would be more likely.

Keane, Gylfi, Tosun the easiest to offload first.  Sandro will be gone on a free this summer just to get rid, besic probably sold to sheff.  bolasie we need to just let go due to wages, maybe get 5-7m for him.  Morgan best bet is let go on a free and he goes back to strasbourg his home club and helps them in Ligue 1.

26 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

too many players to replace that would cost way too much.  it's going to be 3-4 in, 3-4 out each window.  I think half that amount would be more likely.

Keane, Gylfi, Tosun the easiest to offload first.  Sandro will be gone on a free this summer just to get rid, besic probably sold to sheff.  bolasie we need to just let go due to wages, maybe get 5-7m for him.  Morgan best bet is let go on a free and he goes back to strasbourg his home club and helps them in Ligue 1.

Why do you think the first 3 named will be the easiest to get rid of?

1 hour ago, Makis said:

Think most of those values are optimistic. Problem is getting rid of their wages. Morgan is making 100kpw, who will pay 15 million plus that? Sandro we'd probably give away for free to get rid of his wages. Keane sounds about right but I doubt anyone would pay 20 million for a 30-year old Gylfi or 15 million for Tosun or especially 10 for Bolasie.

10 appearances and 1 goal for Sporting this season.  Don't think anyone will be paying anything for him.

Tosun still has value, just not likely in the PL and no one else will match his wages so he'd need to decide to take a cut to get minutes.  Only chance there is he gets the message from the Turkish national team that he needs to be playing more to be involved in Euro 2020.

4 hours ago, Bailey said:

Why do you think the first 3 named will be the easiest to get rid of?

Keane is english so he has that premium in the PL, he's also an average to above average defender depending on your playing style.  i don't think he goes for big bucks but the market is there for him, he's also still moderately young so upside if a lower table side wants to try and bring his level up and then flip him.

Siggy is a known quantity proven in the PL for a long time.  He's 30/31 but you know what you are going to get.  A side built around him ala Swansea was, it could work out well.  I think mid/lower sides would pay 15m for a couple years of him.

Tosun is a well known quantity in the german and turkish leagues, for a cut price (12-15m) he could be a solid signing for a top turkish team or a mid table german club.  he's still in his prime of 28 years old too, not too old.

bolasie has been bad in the PL, championship and only did well in belgium and now in portugal.  the major injury he lost pace and he's now 30 which is the danger years for wingers.  i think just offloading him for whatever we could get to shed the wages would be best, altough i could see it being infinite loans until the contract runs out due to massive wages.

morgan is 30 years old and is half the player he was when he was so heralded at soton and united.  he's on massive wages too (thanks walsh).  i just don't see a big market for him.  maybe a london side like west ham or palace or something with a little money that needs a decent CM cover, but man i think it will be tough to move him.  

sandro has been awful every loan, we paid like 6m but he's on huge wages, unless he wants out to just leave and be free, we are stuck with infinite loans.

15 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

Keane is english so he has that premium in the PL, he's also an average to above average defender depending on your playing style.  i don't think he goes for big bucks but the market is there for him, he's also still moderately young so upside if a lower table side wants to try and bring his level up and then flip him.

Siggy is a known quantity proven in the PL for a long time.  He's 30/31 but you know what you are going to get.  A side built around him ala Swansea was, it could work out well.  I think mid/lower sides would pay 15m for a couple years of him.

Tosun is a well known quantity in the german and turkish leagues, for a cut price (12-15m) he could be a solid signing for a top turkish team or a mid table german club.  he's still in his prime of 28 years old too, not too old.

bolasie has been bad in the PL, championship and only did well in belgium and now in portugal.  the major injury he lost pace and he's now 30 which is the danger years for wingers.  i think just offloading him for whatever we could get to shed the wages would be best, altough i could see it being infinite loans until the contract runs out due to massive wages.

morgan is 30 years old and is half the player he was when he was so heralded at soton and united.  he's on massive wages too (thanks walsh).  i just don't see a big market for him.  maybe a london side like west ham or palace or something with a little money that needs a decent CM cover, but man i think it will be tough to move him.  

sandro has been awful every loan, we paid like 6m but he's on huge wages, unless he wants out to just leave and be free, we are stuck with infinite loans.

Whilst you mention wages for the last couple, I am surprised you don't think it will be a problem for the first named as well. Siggy will be one of the highest paid players at the club, Tosun will be on at decent amount as well I bet and Keane definitely will as he would have started higher than most at Utd. 

We can reduce the transfer fees all we want but unless we also want to supplement their wages I suspect we will have trouble getting rid. FWIW though I can't see us selling them cheap either which will put a lot of sides off. If anything, I think the fact that we haven't been able to sell Tosun already is an indication of that.

11 minutes ago, DownUnderToff said:

Bloody 2 more years on Cenk's contract...

Need to loan him somewhere, lower prem or Germany, to try and boost his appeal.

The wages & contract lengths, of really average players, shows you what a shit show Brands walked into.  Those blaming him need their heads read.

Someone in Germany will take him if we pay half the wages, which, honestly, would be best for us.  Free up a space in the squad.  He's just nowhere near the pace of the PL.  Got an "assist" today (for a simple cross field ball to Baines), but did nothing else.

Now Carlo is here the game has changed. I don’t think anybody is safe. Who should we be looking at? What is our aim? If he’s going to be here for 4 and half years then he might not go for the off the peg signings. We need real pace in the team especially in the middle. We are paying the likes of gilfi £100k a week. Not many players outside of the top tier in foreign leagues are getting that. It’s up to Ancelotti and brands to spend that money on players that would be seduced by playing for him. I still want us to go for young British players and why couldn’t we be in for the cream of the crop now?