IGNORED

Summer Transfer Window

Aidan

Just now, markjazzbassist said:

more reasonable though, the wages mentioned for the new players are more like under the Moyes structure where i saw kean or gbamin on only 55k a week, this is good work by Brands to get those wages back in line.  So yes overall more, but player to player a lower amount per player due to better negotiating.

I saw for Kean, but no way is that going to be his wage for long. I’m sure there’ll be an incremental increase over the years. 

Yes, player by player it might look better but we pay the bill as a whole each month. Considering your worries about FFP, I’m surprised you’re so relaxed. 

Just now, Matt said:

I saw for Kean, but no way is that going to be his wage for long. I’m sure there’ll be an incremental increase over the years. 

Yes, player by player it might look better but we pay the bill as a whole each month. Considering your worries about FFP, I’m surprised you’re so relaxed. 

well after adding in all the players i missed (sorry guys!) our net spend was 10m, that's nothing.  The Zaha one was scaring me, 70m.  i expect the leftover dead wood to be loaned to the continent which will help too.  i'm very happy about every new player not getting 100k+ like under walsh.  Brands is frugal wage wise more like Moyes.  Sure the wage bill increases but we lose a significant amount of the deadwood to end of contracts this summer.  If besic is sold another is gone for good too.  

5 minutes ago, Ghoat said:

Agree. I'm sure we are all a little disappointed that we didn't add a CB and/or winger today. But, if we had landed Zaha and Rojo and spent 100-120M doing it, I think many would be unhappy feeling we let teams bend us over. we 

Based on nothing, I think Brands did try to get Zaha, but likely told CP we wanted him, but we didn't "need" him at any cost, so piss off - see ya Saturday. I'll call you in January, and ask how things are in the relegation zone - is Wilford enjoying his football this year?

I think the first paragraph is key. We were much more settled this year compared to last year and therefore we didnt "need" any players aside from the two loan players being replaced. We got one of those and didnt replace the other and that will be the disappointment however I would rather we didnt get anyone than spunk £20+mil on a player like Rojo. Holgate and Gibson will have to stand up and be counted upon when they are needed, at least up until January. Hopefully Zouma is then back in the reserves and we can pick him up cheaply and all will be well with the world again.

The same applies to the wide players. We have enough players who can cover (assuming Iwobi doesnt sign) but it would be good to have that extra man. Iwobi is a poor mans Zaha in terms of cost and whilst I think the latter would give us more chance of getting more points I dont think Iwobi is "that" far off him and whilst it might take a couple of years to get to that level but he does have a lot more top level experience than Zaha.

Its been another very good window, albeit I do think we have taken a bit of a risk by not getting another CB in.

2 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

IN: Lossl, Gomes, Delph, Gbamin, Kean
OUT: Vlasic, Galloway, Robinson, Sambou, Lookman, Gana, J Williams 
LOAN IN: 
LOAN OUT: Kenny, Sandro, Adedoyin, Dowell, JVirginia, Garbutt, Tarashaj, Bowler, Broadhead
YOUTH: Sebastian Kristensen
YOUTH pro deals: Ryan Astley, Kyle John, Anthony Gordon, Ellis Simms, Joe Anderson, Einar Iversen, Nicolas Hansen, Kieran Phillips, Korede Adedoyin, Mackenzie Hunt
CONTRACT EXT: Davies, Foulds, Ouzounidis, Baines, Mampala, Bowler, Broadhead

OFFICIALLY RELEASED: Jags(SheffieldUtd), A Williams, Lavery(Linfield), Hewelt(Meidz Legnica), JHilton(Blackburn), Charsley, Mathis(Rodez), Kiersey(Walsall), Bramall, Renshaw

Spent: 82.5m

Received: 67.5m

That doesn't include Iwobi who has been quoted at 30m-40m.  regardless, we DID spend money this summer from the kitty not just sales.

So, we lost 2 starters (1 who wasn't ours anyway), one bench winger who was goalless last year, made a loaned starter permanent,  added a starting MF and a high quality squad player (Delph/Gambin not sure which is which), added a widely coveted 19 year old striker who will likely play 30+ games and maybe start many of those, added quality competition/cover at RB and a quality young #2GK

For a net of 15M. That's....pretty amazing.

Just now, Ghoat said:

So, we lost 2 starters (1 who wasn't ours anyway), one bench winger who was goalless last year, made a loaned starter permanent,  added a starting MF and a high quality squad player (Delph/Gambin not sure which is which), added a widely coveted 19 year old striker who will likely play 30+ games and maybe start many of those, added quality competition/cover at RB and a quality young #2GK

We sell besic for £5 mill and add in McCarthy £8.5 mill that’s even better 

1 minute ago, markjazzbassist said:

well after adding in all the players i missed (sorry guys!) our net spend was 10m, that's nothing.  The Zaha one was scaring me, 70m.  i expect the leftover dead wood to be loaned to the continent which will help too.  i'm very happy about every new player not getting 100k+ like under walsh.  Brands is frugal wage wise more like Moyes.  Sure the wage bill increases but we lose a significant amount of the deadwood to end of contracts this summer.  If besic is sold another is gone for good too.  

I had to question your maths there but nope, pretty much spot on. That really is exceptional work.

3 minutes ago, Ghoat said:

i have since updated, our net spend currently is 7m.  But that doesn't include Iwobi buy or Besic Sale/Loan.  So it could be more.  

Just now, Finn balor said:

We sell besic for £5 mill and add in McCarthy £8.5 mill that’s even better 

And the $5M we get when Rom goes, and possible others that go in the next few weeks will bring it even lower. But for a net spend that's currently looking somewhere around $10M if nothing else changes, I'd say Brands may be in line to have a statue at the entrance. 

Just now, Ghoat said:

And the $5M we get when Rom goes, and possible others that go in the next few weeks will bring it even lower. But for a net spend that's currently looking somewhere around $10M if nothing else changes, I'd say Brands may be in line to have a statue at the entrance. 

amount i have has Rom money in there already.

amount i have has Rom money in there already.

Hell, with what we added, doing so for less than $50M is pretty amazing. And if we add Iwobi, even more so. If we can't move anyone else, and add Iwobi in addition to all the other arrivals, we're doing so for less than the price of one Icelandic midfielder.

7 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

thank you sir, added

thank you, added it in

Sidibe is technically a loan in. 

10 minutes ago, Finn balor said:

I just think fourth place is going begging this year but I don’t think we’ve done enough to break into that with the signings  we’ve made. I’m happy with our incomings don’t get me wrong but with Zouma and gana gone are we going to be a better team/squad? We’ve signed a potential superstar upfront granted but you can’t expect him to bag 30 goals this season. Like Romey said on other thread we can just score more goals than the opposition. Arsenal, uniteds and Chelsea’s back lines aren’t great but the firepower arsenal have and uniteds isn’t to bad. Not sure if we are going to have enough in us 

I'm not sure we're good enough for fourth but I do think the signings we've made have improved us, even losing Gana and Zouma. I'm a little worried about a shaky back line, but I'm definitely hoping Mina takes a step forward this year as he gets consistent game time, and hopefully he'll even contribute some goals from the back. Gbamin and Delph are definitely a different style of player to Gana, who I rate very highly, but both seem to have the talent necessary to fill that hole.

Kean will be massive for us, I hope, and Iwobi is at least a little further along than Lookman was. Sidibe is a big improvement on Kenny as our replacement RB if Coleman goes down and does give Coleman some more competition. Add to that the fact that last year's signings have all had some time to bed in and play alongside each other and it's hard to see how we couldn't be at least a little better than last season.

updated includes all loans/sales/rom fee etc.  only thing missing is Iwobi

IN: Lossl, Gomes, Delph, Gbamin, Kean
OUT: Vlasic, Galloway, Robinson, Sambou, Lookman, Gana, J Williams, McCarthy 
LOAN IN: Sidibe (option to buy)
LOAN OUT: Kenny, Sandro, Adedoyin, Dowell, JVirginia, Garbutt, Tarashaj, Bowler, Broadhead, Besic
YOUTH pro deals: Ryan Astley, Kyle John, Anthony Gordon, Ellis Simms, Joe Anderson, Einar Iversen, Nicolas Hansen, Kieran Phillips, Korede Adedoyin, Mackenzie Hunt

OFFICIALLY RELEASED: Jags(SheffieldUtd), A Williams, Lavery(Linfield), Hewelt(Meidz Legnica), JHilton(Blackburn), Charsley, Mathis(Rodez), Kiersey(Walsall), Bramall, Renshaw

Spent: 82.5m

Received: 75.5m

Been at work all through TDD, but wanted to give my two pence. 

Overall a good window, but late signings mean that we could struggle to make an impact at the start of the season. 

I'm excited to see Kean play, and the same goes for Gbamin. 

The fact we had the whole window to sign a CB and waited until the end for Chelsea to mug us off with Zouma is worrying. I thought the club were better than that and last minute deals for Smalling and Rojo only make the matter worse. We will struggle defensively without a decent CB pairing. 

Also not please with Iwobi. Nothing against him as a player but what was the point in replacing Lookman for someone twice the price who might be just as good? 

2 minutes ago, Finn balor said:

Think he’s more direct and much more of a goal threat than lookman. Think he can play across the forward line which is a bonus. 

Plus, as C tormented us with, more creative than Ozil. Not a bad stat to have. 

Includes Iwobi fee and rom fee and outgoings.  this is up to date.

IN: Lossl, Gomes, Delph, Gbamin, Kean, Iwobi
OUT: Vlasic, Galloway, Robinson, Sambou, Lookman, Gana, J Williams, McCarthy 
LOAN IN: Sidibe (option to buy)
LOAN OUT: Kenny, Sandro, Adedoyin, Dowell, JVirginia, Garbutt, Tarashaj, Bowler, Broadhead, Besic

Spent: 110.5m

Received: 75.5m

Net Spend - 35m

4 minutes ago, Matt said:

And still options to sell outside of the league. With 2-3 sales, we could potentially break even :o 

I thought you were joking at first, but you're right Matt.  Bolasie, Mirallas, Tosun, Niasse, Stek, Martina, Morgan, Onyekuru.  All of them could leave and we'd be fine.  Morgan and Onyekuru would net us the most money probably.  Tosun as well.  

I thought you were joking at first, but you're right Matt.  Bolasie, Mirallas, Tosun, Niasse, Stek, Martina, Morgan, Onyekuru.  All of them could leave and we'd be fine.  Morgan and Onyekuru would net us the most money probably.  Tosun as well.  

I assume Niasse too. If I’m being optimistic, and we say £10m each on average for Henry, Tosun, Niasse and Bolasie, we’re actually in the black by a decent chunk with a massive wage reduction without affecting the actual squad depth :o 

I’d rather move Kev on than Morgan though, the latter actually seemed to have found himself again when called upon  

Martina will be more about saving wages, Stek isn’t going anywhere until his contract runs out. But still, :o 

8 minutes ago, Newty82 said:

I like the profile of the main guys we've brought in. All of Gomes, Iwobi, Kean and Gbamin are players with a natural strength and athleticism, good on the ball, with nice tidy touches.

Should be good to watch.

Hard working too. I think that’s probably my favourite thing about the signings; it’s not just the athleticism, it’s the willingness to use it and attitude (presuming here for new PL players I’ve not seen)