DEF: Holgate, Keane, Digne, Mina, Coleman, Kenny
MID: Delph, Gylfi, Morgan, Andre, Gbamin, Davies
W: Richarlison, Walcott, Iwobi, Bernard, Broadhead 
ST: DCL, Tosun, Kean

Out of contract: Stek, Baines, Sidibe (loan end), Cuco, Garbutt, Niasse 
Dead wood: Bolasie, Sandro, Besic
Youth likely to be gone: Pennington, Connolly, Beni, Dowell

Buy: CB CM resign Baines

Sell: Keane Gylfi Morgan Walcott Tosun Bolasie Sandro. Get out all of you. 

This is abysmal. We'll be recovering from this for 2-3 more years to temper expectations accordinly. 

ARRIVALS 17/18
Players Club Transfer sum
Gylfi Sigurdsson Swansea City Swansea ÂŁ44.46m
Michael Keane Burnley FC Burnley ÂŁ25.65m
Jordan Pickford Sunderland AFC Sunderland ÂŁ25.65m
Davy Klaassen Ajax Amsterdam Ajax ÂŁ24.30m
Cenk Tosun Besiktas JK Besiktas ÂŁ20.25m
Theo Walcott Arsenal FC Arsenal ÂŁ20.25m
Nikola Vlasic HNK Hajduk Split Hajduk Split ÂŁ9.72m
Henry Onyekuru KAS Eupen KAS Eupen ÂŁ7.20m
Sandro RamĂ­rez MĂĄlaga CF MĂĄlaga CF ÂŁ5.40m
Wayne Rooney Manchester United Man Utd Free transfer
Cuco Martina Southampton FC Southampton Free transfer
Eliaquim Mangala Manchester City Man City Loan

2 hours ago, AlbanyNYToffee said:

This is abysmal. We'll be recovering from this for 2-3 more years to temper expectations accordinly. 

ARRIVALS 17/18
Players Club Transfer sum
Gylfi Sigurdsson Swansea City Swansea ÂŁ44.46m
Michael Keane Burnley FC Burnley ÂŁ25.65m
Jordan Pickford Sunderland AFC Sunderland ÂŁ25.65m
Davy Klaassen Ajax Amsterdam Ajax ÂŁ24.30m
Cenk Tosun Besiktas JK Besiktas ÂŁ20.25m
Theo Walcott Arsenal FC Arsenal ÂŁ20.25m
Nikola Vlasic HNK Hajduk Split Hajduk Split ÂŁ9.72m
Henry Onyekuru KAS Eupen KAS Eupen ÂŁ7.20m
Sandro RamĂ­rez MĂĄlaga CF MĂĄlaga CF ÂŁ5.40m
Wayne Rooney Manchester United Man Utd Free transfer
Cuco Martina Southampton FC Southampton Free transfer
Eliaquim Mangala Manchester City Man City Loan

Highlights the ineptitude of Walsh.  All of them bar Pickford were flops and overpays.

7 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

Highlights the ineptitude of Walsh.  All of them bar Pickford were flops and overpays.

Made money on Vlasic and Henry to be fair. Pickford needs to improve as well. 
All in all not one of those “big money” signings have been worth it. 135 million ( excluding pickford ) wasted. Steve Walsh only runs his mouth about how the board didn’t want Robertson and Maguire for 20 mil though, I wouldn’t have trusted him either after this shit show.

4 hours ago, Btay said:

Made money on Vlasic and Henry to be fair. Pickford needs to improve as well. 
All in all not one of those “big money” signings have been worth it. 135 million ( excluding pickford ) wasted. Steve Walsh only runs his mouth about how the board didn’t want Robertson and Maguire for 20 mil though, I wouldn’t have trusted him either after this shit show.

To be fair Robertson and Maguire left Hull that same summer Walsh and Koeman went on their diabolical spending spree. So if our board turned their nose up at Maguire for Keane, more fool them. We wouldn't have got Robertson with Liverpool after him. For £8m he was a an absolute steal. 

Cantwell is a very good shout

He will be another Maddison who we missed a trick with massively

I'd like us to test Palace's resolve again for Zaha, if rumours are true they want Cenk then make the deal now for the end of the season as they won't let him go now imo 

I rate Mings as well so depending on how Villa fair this season he would definitely be one I'd like us to look at, has very similar attributes to Van Dijk albeit a poorer version (not a bad thing tbh) 

It's impossible to tell if Carlo will approach anyone in this league as I'm sure he will have his mind set on players in the foreign market  

From the beginning this whole project has been fucked.

The allure of a project isn't in higher compensation and overnight success. It's like a startup company. Get in early and work your ass off for nothing in the beginning and watch as you and your colleagues, who have now likely become your friends as well, accomplish things you hoped, but weren't sure, were possible. We set about this all wrong and now our wage bill might be beyond repair.

I want the Cahills, Osmans, Jagielkas, Pienaars, Colemans, Baines'. Players for whom playing for a club of Everton's stature was aspirational and not something to be taken lightly. The only players who seem to have that are DCL, Davies, Cenk, Bernard and Richarlison (because he's so humble). For the most part the rest of the lot would rather be playing elsewhere. Some of them still play hard  (Pickford, Digne, Holgate, Mina, Gomes, Kean, Delph, Sidibe) and others do not (Keane, Schneiderlin, Gylfi, Walcott, Iwobi).

Project is not synonomous with cash. Invest in youth, invest in a true team.   

6 hours ago, EFC-Paul said:

Cantwell is a very good shout

He will be another Maddison who we missed a trick with massively

I'd like us to test Palace's resolve again for Zaha, if rumours are true they want Cenk then make the deal now for the end of the season as they won't let him go now imo 

I rate Mings as well so depending on how Villa fair this season he would definitely be one I'd like us to look at, has very similar attributes to Van Dijk albeit a poorer version (not a bad thing tbh) 

It's impossible to tell if Carlo will approach anyone in this league as I'm sure he will have his mind set on players in the foreign market  

No he wont

30 minutes ago, StevO said:

I’m sure I’m not the only one, but no idea what that is in reference to. 

Presumably in reference to the Cantwell Maddison shout Steve, just that eloquently put it's gone over a few heads 😂

If so only time will tell but I think he will 

On 03/01/2020 at 00:04, StevO said:

I’d love Grealish, that lad is a real player! They’ll want more than £50m though, I’m not sure he’s worth it but I’d like to find out. 

On 03/01/2020 at 04:06, Palfy said:

I think Grealish is a good player, but I feel like he’s the sort of player that you need to build a team round him, and he also would want to be in that position I don’t think he’s good enough for that role to take a team to the top of the PL if that makes sense. 
Or maybe he could just fit straight into a team and not be the main focus of the team I’m not sure but could be an expensive gamble. 

Sorry lads going back in time a bit here. I like Grealish, he has grown into the type of player Barkley should have been. 

The only think I am not sure about is whether he would take the step up into a team that wants European football. Could you play him in a 2 man midfield in a big game against other top midfielders? If he was 10-15mil you wold pay your money and take your chance, but he will be 4-5 times that now and I think there are other players who would be more worth that price tag.

On 03/01/2020 at 19:46, TallPaul1878 said:

Mooy is a massively underrated player. The issue though is the same with many new signings. How will he cope with the step up to a bigger team? He has always played in teams that have less possession of the ball and more counter attacking opportunities. Will he be effective when the team expects 60-70% possession each week and the opposition are digging in deep?

FYI Brighton play possession football. He can play, really tidy little footballer. You can just watch him and see that he has the brain for it. A snip at the price too, would probably come in and be our best midfielder!

In respect of Cantwell, I can't claim to have seen loads of the lad but where would you play him in this set up? When I have seen him he doesn't look like he could cope in a 2 man midfield. He might fill out a bit over time but I'm not convinced. I guess Grealish did as he matured so maybe it will happen. The option then is playing him wider. He looks more like the attacking player in a 3 man midfield to me, like a De Bruyne / Maddison.

1 hour ago, TallPaul1878 said:

Both Cantwell and Brooks receive the ball under pressure and drive their teams forward. They are young, hungry for success and I imagine they would be very proud to move to Everton and work with Ancelotti. This is our biggest selling point. These are 2 young upcoming players who have an opportunity to play for a bigger club, a top tier manager, bigger stadiums and hopefully next season a real chance at silverware.

I’d throw Dwight McNeill in aswell, drives Burnley forward, good crossing and scores a few too, But and it’s a big but, why are we not able to nurture own own at the moment, DCL, Holgate, Davies and JJK have come though but haven’t made such an immediate impact, of the four I want to all, but would want Davies to step up his physicality. 

Quote from Brands yesterday - 

“Why a squad of 23? We think that’s enough to have a good squad to compete and also gives an opportunity for those in our academy.”

Brands’ ultimate Everton squad would comprise 23 players - 3 goalkeepers, 8 defenders, 6 midfielders and 6 forwards.

So what in mind looking ahead to summer where the majority of the work is likely to be done:

GK: Pickford, Lossl, JVirginia ALL SET
DEF: Holgate, Keane, Digne, Mina, Coleman, Kenny NEED CB and LB
MID: Delph, Gylfi, Morgan, Andre, Gbamin, Davies ALL SET
FWD: Richarlison, Walcott, Iwobi, Bernard, DCL, Kean ALL SET 

Only point I'm trying to make is the balance of what needs to come in vs. out. Of course we'd prefer different options to Gylfi, Morgan, Walcott but if that's going to happen they have to be sold first. The only exception being in defense where we need new bodies. We won't be adding more numbers to the squad in MID or FWD. We also have quite a bit to sell off Tosun, Bolasie, Sandro, Besic, Pennington, Connolly, Beni, Dowell

20 hours ago, AlbanyNYToffee said:

Quote from Brands yesterday - 

“Why a squad of 23? We think that’s enough to have a good squad to compete and also gives an opportunity for those in our academy.”

Brands’ ultimate Everton squad would comprise 23 players - 3 goalkeepers, 8 defenders, 6 midfielders and 6 forwards.

So what in mind looking ahead to summer where the majority of the work is likely to be done:

GK: Pickford, Lossl, JVirginia ALL SET
DEF: Holgate, Keane, Digne, Mina, Coleman, Kenny NEED CB and LB
MID: Delph, Gylfi, Morgan, Andre, Gbamin, Davies ALL SET
FWD: Richarlison, Walcott, Iwobi, Bernard, DCL, Kean ALL SET 

Only point I'm trying to make is the balance of what needs to come in vs. out. Of course we'd prefer different options to Gylfi, Morgan, Walcott but if that's going to happen they have to be sold first. The only exception being in defense where we need new bodies. We won't be adding more numbers to the squad in MID or FWD. We also have quite a bit to sell off Tosun, Bolasie, Sandro, Besic, Pennington, Connolly, Beni, Dowell

Only thing I'll add here is that Delph mostly played LB for City, not that that makes him a good option. You also left out Baines... I think he's good for another year or two for cover.

also there are outgoings that need to happen to deadwood and players that aren't good enough (gylfi morgan)

GK Pickford, Lossl, Virginia

DEF Mina, Holgate, Digne, Kenny, coleman, baines, keane, CB

MID Andre Gbamin Davies Beni Delph CM

FWD Richarlison DCL Kean Bernard Iwobi RW

CB CM and RW for me would be the needs this January.  In the summer if we could get rid of Iwobi Delph Keane Walcott and get actually good players in there that would be great too.

2 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

also there are outgoings that need to happen to deadwood and players that aren't good enough (gylfi morgan)

GK Pickford, Lossl, Virginia

DEF Mina, Holgate, Digne, Kenny, coleman, baines, keane, CB

MID Andre Gbamin Davies Beni Delph CM

FWD Richarlison DCL Kean Bernard Iwobi RW

CB CM and RW for me would be the needs this January.  In the summer if we could get rid of Iwobi Delph Keane Walcott and get actually good players in there that would be great too.

Delph is going to be on huge wages so forget about moving him.iwobi I think will come good. His fitness is an issue but the don will sort that. Keane would have takers if we could get our money back. Maybe Bournemouth would be interested in a makeweight for ake? Walcott might be  worth a nibble From a few teams. Villa, Newcastle maybe ?

16 hours ago, Finn balor said:

Delph is going to be on huge wages so forget about moving him.iwobi I think will come good. His fitness is an issue but the don will sort that. Keane would have takers if we could get our money back. Maybe Bournemouth would be interested in a makeweight for ake? Walcott might be  worth a nibble From a few teams. Villa, Newcastle maybe ?

Wonder if Southampton would take Walcott on?  End it where it started?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
51 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

lookman was excellent there, keita was a beast, neither have done anything in the premier league.  i don't think it's a great league to buy players from TBH.  haller max meyer, etc not pulling up trees.  

It's a mixed bag. For every Max Meyer, Shinji Kagawa and Mkhitaryan, you have a Ballack, De Bruyne and Firmino