IGNORED

Che Adams

14 hours ago, Hafnia said:

People have this belief that mark hughes was a goalscorer….. 15 goals was his most for United in the prem.  the importance of a front man isn’t just goals 

It is about goals for us at the moment , do we need another player who can create and work hard for others that are unable to capitalise on his hard work. We aren’t really struggling in that department we created 19 attempts at goal against Fulham 9 on target with 4 big chances. We are desperate for a consistent goal scorer, Mark Hughs played in a team where others were constantly putting the ball in the net, Andy Cole Dwight York to name a couple, constantly putting them away for fun and not sat in the treatment room for months at a time. We don’t need an Adams he won’t complete the part of the chain we are missing, we need a proven goal scorer, without that our problem of how to consistently win games doesn’t go away, and Adams becomes another Maupay wrong player at the wrong time, when what need is a Lukaku. Sorry mate but Adams is desperation signing if he comes here on the back of missing out on other targets. He didn’t save Southampton from the drop last season and won’t be the difference to keep us away from a relegation fight this season. 

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

If that belief is coming from the club as well it’s no wonder we are missing out on the targets that Dyche and Thelwell were working in on end of last season. 

You know I don’t work for the club, right? 😂

I’ll ask this, if you were a striker who could score 20 goals per season in the premier league would you sign for Everton?

Forget the value of the transfer, as it’s irrelevant really. We are not an attractive proposition. Strikers are a huge commodity and we don’t have the pulling power. It’s obvious we’re looking for goals from wide areas anyway, and a striker who can facilitate others rather than just score goals themselves. 

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

It is about goals for us at the moment , do we need another player who can create and work hard for others that are unable to capitalise on his hard work. We aren’t really struggling in that department we created 19 attempts at goal against Fulham 9 on target with 4 big chances. We are desperate for a consistent goal scorer, Mark Hughs played in a team where others were constantly putting the ball in the net, Andy Cole Dwight York to name a couple, constantly putting them away for fun and not sat in the treatment room for months at a time. We don’t need an Adams he won’t complete the part of the chain we are missing, we need a proven goal scorer, without that our problem of how to consistently win games doesn’t go away, and Adams becomes another Maupay wrong player at the wrong time, when what need is a Lukaku. Sorry mate but Adams is desperation signing if he comes here on the back of missing out on other targets. He didn’t save Southampton from the drop last season and won’t be the difference to keep us away from a relegation fight this season. 

He is a replacement/cover for DCL.  I get what you are saying in the sense that we need a clinical finisher who - these are rare and expensive Palf. 

the reality is that when we have a player like dcl doing the hard work, pressing, running channels we will score like we did vs Brighton. 

I believe what we are doing is to get in players like Danjuma, gnonto, who along with mcneil and doucoure will get goals from having a target man. Similar to how we operated when we had Marcus bent. 

we replaced Marcus bent with Beattie and his supposed clinical finishing made no impact vs bents all round play. 

But clinical strikers have also worked for us - Andy Johnson, Yakubu, Lukaku....maybe not on a sustained season after season basis - but we signed each of those and they had great first seasons.

We aren't an appealing proposition to get that type of striker at the moment but I don't think it's right to say and out and out goal scorer is not successful for us.  

I think what people are saying is that getting a 20 goal striker when we don’t create won’t help much.

I know Palfy pointed out we created 19 chances last weekend, but he didn’t watch us last season. We’ve been awful when it comes to creating chances for two years solid now. 

What Dyche is trying to do is change that. He is trying to give us players that can chip in with goals and offer a few assists as well. This is why we’re looking at players that can lead the line up top.

5 hours ago, Bailey said:

My Southampton mate laughed when he was linked with us and at the price.

He said that he misses far more than he scores which I thought probably means he is better than Maupay! 

I know a few Southampton fans and they all rate him and say they are gutted he is going but get it because he is way too good for the Championship 

This was a comment on one of their forums from todays match

Travesty if Che goes.

I know he’s worth £12m odd, but he’ll get us a 30 goal haul this season, that’d take us back to the EPL and that’s worth far more to the club, surely?

5 hours ago, Goodison Glory said:

But clinical strikers have also worked for us - Andy Johnson, Yakubu, Lukaku....maybe not on a sustained season after season basis - but we signed each of those and they had great first seasons.

We aren't an appealing proposition to get that type of striker at the moment but I don't think it's right to say and out and out goal scorer is not successful for us.  

Sort of. 
Bent worked, replaced by Beattie. Beattie didn’t work, replaced by Johnson. Upgraded by Yakubu, but couldn’t get fit again after that Achilles injury. 
Moyes also had a habit with getting a good goal scoring first season out of them, and then got them to run the channels, then they stopped scoring. 

Also, from the strikers you listed, they all played in a completely different team, in a different time, with different types of managers. Not going to happen with what we have available to us. I’d kill for any of them to be in the team now. 

3 hours ago, StevO said:

Sort of. 
Bent worked, replaced by Beattie. Beattie didn’t work, replaced by Johnson. Upgraded by Yakubu, but couldn’t get fit again after that Achilles injury. 
Moyes also had a habit with getting a good goal scoring first season out of them, and then got them to run the channels, then they stopped scoring. 

Also, from the strikers you listed, they all played in a completely different team, in a different time, with different types of managers. Not going to happen with what we have available to us. I’d kill for any of them to be in the team now. 

Yea I wasn't comparing those strikers to us now..I was putting forth my opinion to the point made that we are better when we don't have out and our goal scorers but instead forwards who can lead the line.

i think it's silly to bucket us one way or the other - we've had both types of players and the team has played well (and other times not). Iqnuoted those players because they were around the same time Period as others being referenced. 

1 hour ago, Goodison Glory said:

Yea I wasn't comparing those strikers to us now..I was putting forth my opinion to the point made that we are better when we don't have out and our goal scorers but instead forwards who can lead the line.

i think it's silly to bucket us one way or the other - we've had both types of players and the team has played well (and other times not). Iqnuoted those players because they were around the same time Period as others being referenced. 

Not to mention a million managers in between all of these forwards. Tactics aren’t consistent so we can’t use the past to speak to whether we need a finisher or a holding / connecting forward. Frankly I’m not even sure we can use Dyche’s last to determine what we need but maybe.

On 19/08/2023 at 14:51, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

I know a few Southampton fans and they all rate him and say they are gutted he is going but get it because he is way too good for the Championship 

This was a comment on one of their forums from todays match

Travesty if Che goes.

I know he’s worth £12m odd, but he’ll get us a 30 goal haul this season, that’d take us back to the EPL and that’s worth far more to the club, surely?

There is no way Che Adams is way too good for the Championship! 

He is the perfect player at that level. He would more than likely chip in with enough goals to take them into promotion places but that doesnt mean a lot to a Premier League team that doesn't create a lot of chances. 

He will do well in the Championship, so will plenty of other players but it doesnt mean they are good enough. 

I get the logic with Adams, I just think its dangerous to sign someone who has shown his level (low end EPL at best).

We need somebody to bridge the gap between DCL and Chermiti and Adams fits the bill. He is unlikley to set the world on fire, but will do a far better job in this team than Neal Maupay is going. I think you could swap between DCL-Adams-Chermiti (eventually) with out disrupting our general style of playing.  

If we had unlimited resources and designs on compleating for european places, then he is not the player we'd be wanting, but we are pretty far from that. He'll hold the ball up, he will press, he will get some goals and he will get some assists. 

Adams in with Maupay out would make me much happier for the remainder of the season.