IGNORED

Lewis Dobbin

34 minutes ago, Bailey said:

It was a lovely turn, but yeh its not the greatest defending you will ever see! 

Many teams in the prem defended like that in games last season; Spurs, Leicester and us for starters.

agreed Serie A is nowhere near the league it once was and dobbin shouldn't be starting but let's not right the lad off yet. Keep him in the squad.

9 hours ago, Matt said:

Oh he did well, don't get me wrong. But they're all over the shop and there's no way he gets away with that in our league. 

Oh you get away with far more than that in our league…. Isaac vs us for Newcastle is a great example. 

take it for what it is, showed great pace and invention. Don’t think I seen maupay do anything like that in the game - dobbin set him up with more smart play leaving him an easy slot in.

11 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Get him a Championship loan.

I rate him highly but I don’t think he’s ready for the PL yet.

I agree but every now and again players are thrown in raw and hit the ground running - Rashford’s the best example I can think of in recent years - he was supposedly nowhere near ready when he broke onto the scene; it’s not all been plain sailing for him but it can work.

I think another loan would be ideal, but I am guessing we are going to have to wait until the 11th hour and make sure we have definitely have enough cover without him.

We never seem to have situations where we have comfortably won games that allow us to give young fringe players regular 15min at the end of games. Always having to battle to the final whistle - expecting a similar sort of season. 

2 hours ago, Hafnia said:

Oh you get away with far more than that in our league…. Isaac vs us for Newcastle is a great example. 

take it for what it is, showed great pace and invention. Don’t think I seen maupay do anything like that in the game - dobbin set him up with more smart play leaving him an easy slot in.

Yeah, our Sunday league defence. 

I'm just not expecting anything this season from him because we do this every preseason; get excited by a youngster that's going to be an answer to our problem based on a few mins in a training match. 

1 hour ago, c1982 said:

I agree but every now and again players are thrown in raw and hit the ground running - Rashford’s the best example I can think of in recent years - he was supposedly nowhere near ready when he broke onto the scene; it’s not all been plain sailing for him but it can work.

Mate, I'd love that to be the case because I really do think he's going to be quality and I was gutted when it looked like he was going to be leaving us before he signed a new contract under Lampard. I just don't think it'd be beneficial for him to be here this season.

As for the example you gave - coming into a United side as a youngster and coming into this shit show is a completely different animal altogether and not even worth making the comparison!

I'm gonna do Lampard evaluation...

Has he shown in preseason that he's got potential? Yes

Are we lacking in options upfront? Yes

Is he a better option than Maupay? Most probably

Is he ready for the Premier League? Maybe, maybe not

Is he ready to be a realistic back up for DCL? Probably not

Let’s say this….. I’ve seen more from him this pre season than many of our starters.   He’s not a striker imo, very good mobility and work rate. I’d deffo play him out wide. He was seen as tye better youngster out of him and Gordon potential wise. 

Dobbin's strength's very clearly lie on the counter attack and getting in behind and it isn't easy to get that too often in the Premier League.

The best sides give you space but are getting better and better at stopping the counter. As it happens though, he would get lots of opportunity against Fulham as they play a high line don't press the ball like the best teams. The way we have played has suited him because when he is on the pitch, you see Maupay drop into the hole and he is the one stretching the play and it has worked. I don't expect that to work as the quality of the games increases because they just don't pan out the same way.

The one time when that space shut down for him (second half v Bolton) he lost the ball repeatedly. That half he played with the young lads and he had played longer than everyone else, but it showcased that he might struggle in and around a compact defence.

I also don't really see him as a genuine wide player as he has very little quality with his delivery at this stage of his career. I think he is a player that needs a foil and he can't have a lot of defensive duties if he is going to be playing on the shoulder of the defence.

There is a long way to go for him, however that role playing off the shoulder of the back line alongside a recognised striker is one that really suits him and if Dyche has that game plan in his sights, then he has to stay for the time being.

4 hours ago, Wall Writer said:

I'm gonna do Lampard evaluation...

Has he shown in preseason that he's got potential? Yes

Are we lacking in options upfront? Yes

Is he a better option than Maupay? Most probably

Is he ready for the Premier League? Maybe, maybe not

Is he ready to be a realistic back up for DCL? Probably not

But we're in the mode of taking calculated risks right now. We're taking a risk with transfers, so it's reasonable to take a risk with a promising young player of our own. I'd rather give him the chance than repeat what we did last season with Simms.

• 4 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

I thought Dobbin was poor myself. The effort was there but he really lacked the strength to do anything and the fact he's all right foot meant he was very predictable.

For a first proper start he did well. He'll get confidence from that and improve. But maybe still more a bench player which will by the case in a few weeks anyway.

2 minutes ago, Matt said:

For a first proper start he did well. He'll get confidence from that and improve. But maybe still more a bench player which will by the case in a few weeks anyway.

I'm not really knocking him tbh, his inexperience and lack of physical attributes just showed.

They'll both get better but I didn't come out of the game thinking he did well, I came out thinking we really should have arranged another loan for him by now but we're a mess and can't really afford to.

3 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

I'm not really knocking him tbh, his inexperience and lack of physical attributes just showed.

They'll both get better but I didn't come out of the game thinking he did well, I came out thinking we really should have arranged another loan for him by now but we're a mess and can't really afford to.

This for me too. 

If he plays regularly, we aren't scoring many goals this season. 

I think that once McNeil and Harrison are up and running he will probably get a loan somewhere and I expect his performances will at least get that at a decent level.