IGNORED

Alex Iwobi

Iwobi isn't getting anywhere near a team who are realisticaly going to play CL football.

He is at around the level he is ever going to be at. For Everton swap to Fulham - at this moment in time both team very similar - from a football perspective he may as well just sign a new contract with us as go to Fulham. Our sqaud is weaker if he goes, Fulhams is stronger. If he goes, we should ask decent enough money, and ideally bring a replacement - and ideally be a proper right sided player (although these seem to be extremely rare these days!!), be it a loan or permanent. 

He works hard, does have a bit of quality, but something is just missing with him - goals!!!. he should really be a steady 5-10 goal a season player.  

Like others have said a Saudi wedge would be the most welcome.

12 minutes ago, Matt Tiger said:

It's tough with the contract situation not resolved, but clearly I think more of him than most. Selling him would absolutely increase the likelihood of relegation. He's one of our most important players.

Is he though? With McNeil and Harrison to come in, Garner making a stake for the position... I'm not convinced we'd miss him as much as that. 

48 minutes ago, Matt said:

Is he though? With McNeil and Harrison to come in, Garner making a stake for the position... I'm not convinced we'd miss him as much as that. 

I like Garner a lot, but Iwobi was our most consistent performer last season imo, and we shouldn't be expecting consistently solid performances for a full season from garner at his age. He's a very good player, and seems to have a great mind forthe game, so maybe he'll outperform my expectations. But I think we have a tendency to overrate young promising players ability to contribute positively on a consistent basis.

On 10/06/2023 at 19:19, Bailey said:

I think this is probably the best overview of him. He is certainly a player that has his moments but they do seem fairly evenly balanced between good and bad. On his good he might get into a top 10 side but his bad weighs him down to our level!

He was summed up perfectly for me in the first game of the season when he did a fantastic piece of skill on the wing then cut inside drove towards goal then made a massively over hit pass which went straight to their goalie. My son and I looked at each other and almost in unison said ‘typical Iwobi’ 

I like Iwobi I think he has been one of our better players for a few years, whether that’s says more about him or how poor our team is that’s for another discussion. I would sell to Fulham if a deal was to be made, more because he will be walking on a free end of the season and there’s no sign he wants to sign a new contract. My feeling is he won’t want to go to Fulham and his agent has better options for him on a free transfer. 

27 minutes ago, Matt said:

I've been a fan of Iwobi since before he was here, and I love his silly running style. But he's yet another incredibly talented player with the grey matter missing, a headless chicken who runs around aimlessly a lot of the time. He really does have all the ability in the world, but he's a Barkley type player; only ever flashes, more dead-end runs or failed basic passes. 

And I'm saying all that as someone who likes him!

I echo all that - and feel the same about Gray (who I guess just needed the 'e' to fulfil his potential). What a difference it would have made.

1 hour ago, Matt Tiger said:

I like Garner a lot, but Iwobi was our most consistent performer last season imo, and we shouldn't be expecting consistently solid performances for a full season from garner at his age. He's a very good player, and seems to have a great mind forthe game, so maybe he'll outperform my expectations. But I think we have a tendency to overrate young promising players ability to contribute positively on a consistent basis.

When we talk of the like of Brighton etc. This is what they do - put the young players in the team and give them the consistency of regular game time. Garner has been at Man U, had a big competative season for Forest in the Championship, and been at Everton 12 months now. he is now not totally 'green' like say Chermiti.  Now is the time to show trust in the ability the club saw in him last season. 

32 minutes ago, RuffRob said:

When we talk of the like of Brighton etc. This is what they do - put the young players in the team and give them the consistency of regular game time. Garner has been at Man U, had a big competative season for Forest in the Championship, and been at Everton 12 months now. he is now not totally 'green' like say Chermiti.  Now is the time to show trust in the ability the club saw in him last season. 

For what it's worth, I fully agree. I am very very bullish on Garner. I'm just saying that he's very likely going to be inconsistent this year. As will Onana. And it makes me somewhat nervous to sell Iwobi as a result.

1 hour ago, Formby said:

I echo all that - and feel the same about Gray (who I guess just needed the 'e' to fulfil his potential). What a difference it would have made.

Gray scores and assists though, just wish he'd track back and look up. Iwobi should be a 10 goal, 10 assist midfielder with his ability. He is a hard worker though. I'll be happy to keep him, but won't be sad to see him leave. Same with Gray now too since we have actual competition on the wings. 

If he stays he stays, if he goes he goes. But, if he doesn’t sign a contract he needs to go in January. If he goes we need a chunk of money up front to put into a deal for someone else, I’d like Gnonto. 

If we could get rid of Gray and Iwobi I’d like to see us go to Leeds with a cash deal that they can’t really complain about. 
And indirectly fuck up their squad late in the window (I have a lad on my staff who supports Leeds and I want to see him miserable). 

7 hours ago, StevO said:

If he stays he stays, if he goes he goes. But, if he doesn’t sign a contract he needs to go in January. If he goes we need a chunk of money up front to put into a deal for someone else, I’d like Gnonto. 

If we could get rid of Gray and Iwobi I’d like to see us go to Leeds with a cash deal that they can’t really complain about. 
And indirectly fuck up their squad late in the window (I have a lad on my staff who supports Leeds and I want to see him miserable). 

He surely can’t think you’re a ray of sunshine being an Everton supporter. 

12 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

£20m to Fulham apparently.

Thats a brilliant deal but we must, absolutely must, bring players in before the window shuts. 

Total agree, money we can't really afford to turn down on a player who is walking next summer. Given Iwobi's wages and the fee brought in, there should be a decent wedge to bring in a good quality replacement. £20M is not to be sniffed at. 

A replacement has to come in though. If we could get a proper winger (preferably a right sided one) in on the back of this sale it would be a massive bonus.