IGNORED

Carlo Ancelotti

7 hours ago, Btay said:

I don’t think we have been great but we have been extremely structured, which is credit to Carlo.

Personally I’m a big fan of the Martinez/Silva style football but we had no structure, players had no accountability for their tasks/jobs. 

Hopefully, another 2/3 quality additions to the team and we can a bit more possession, control and flair come into our games. 

How we played at the beginning of the season is how he wants us to play, and with more of his signings and less injuries that's what we'll get to eventually. 

It's just hard to watch at times while we have to be more pragmatic in the way we play. It's getting us points (for now at least), so that makes it easier.

12 hours ago, Btay said:

I don’t think we have been great but we have been extremely structured, which is credit to Carlo.

Personally I’m a big fan of the Martinez/Silva style football but we had no structure, players had no accountability for their tasks/jobs. 

Hopefully, another 2/3 quality additions to the team and we can a bit more possession, control and flair come into our games. 

I agree about the structure however you can play attacking football with structure too. Chelsea were really well organised and aggressive but they still played attacking football.

On 10/03/2021 at 08:28, Romey 1878 said:

How we played at the beginning of the season is how he wants us to play, and with more of his signings and less injuries that's what we'll get to eventually. 

It's just hard to watch at times while we have to be more pragmatic in the way we play. It's getting us points (for now at least), so that makes it easier.

Agreed this isn’t his team it’s pretty much an inherited team we’ve hardly witnessed, Allan Doucoure James and Godfrey on the pitch at the same time, but when we have we’ve done better, put another 2-3 of his acquisitions to them next season and we will see another step forward, people need to try to remember it’s still very much early days for Ancelotti’s reign. 
He’s definitely a manager who knows what it takes to get to the top but he’s not a miracle worker. A bit of time and patience is required for me he has in someways over achieved with the squad he has got, not in game style but in league position he’s eked out more points through dogged displays than than free flowing displays because of what he’s got to work with, but that will change in the future if not he will be another who has struggled with the expectations of being manager at Everton 

20 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

He needs £200m spending this summer on genuine quality. Only then will we see his true worth.

He is a manager who can attract the talent we need, it needs to happen asap 

Right back, striker, midfielder, goalkeeper, 2 attacking/wing players.

Weres he getting £200m from no way are we spending anywhere near that we don't need a keeper nothing wrong with Pickford 

I think the criticism being levelled his way is somewhat justified, as are the genuine excuses defending him. Honestly, if Carlo didn’t have the charisma and the history, people would be calling for his head. Truth is, we’ve been rubbish and quite negative when we’ve not had a full 11 to choose, and that’s the real problem. 4-5 quality signings this summer (I don’t think Olsen will stay now, and I really don’t see us keeping King), otherwise we’ll be back to the limbo phase and all this recent optimism and improvement will have been for nothin. 

1 hour ago, BedfordBlue said:

Weres he getting £200m from no way are we spending anywhere near that we don't need a keeper nothing wrong with Pickford 

Needing and getting are 2 different things.   There may be a relaxation of ffp and the likelihood of players being available for less than traditional market rate is higher due to covid. 

We do need a keeper, either to push or replace Pickford.  Olsen will be gone imo. 

We are lacking 3 things to make us a team that can challenge for the top 6.

1) A right side to the team, we are lacking a right back, who can do for us on the right what Dinge does on the left, and an attacking right winger. 

2) Creative midfield players who can split a defence with a pass or a run. 

3) An alternative to DCL when he is injured or out of form.

At the moment we are unbalanced and not creative enough when James is not playing. The only really creative player we have apart from James is Siggy. Iwobi, Bernard just have not done it for us.

Hopefully we can address these issues in the summer. With Bernard, Kean, and hopefully Delph and Iwobi leaving there is a financial room to move the right players in.

I believe that between them Carlo and Brands already have players identified.

5 hours ago, RuffRob said:

It a hell of a lot easier for Chelsea when you look at the squad they have been able to amassed over the years and just add to it transfer window after transfer window.  On top of that you consider all the top quality 'youngsters' they put out to loan across Europe and can tap in to if they succeed. 

Just look look at this past summer as a one off window!!! They should be toe to toe with Man City, when just dropping a point is a big deal!! I would expect then to be good defensively and offensively - and then some. 

We would all love to have the strength of squad Chelsea have and be able to player better attaching football. Our attacking star turn is James who came in on a free transfer, and thus far has struggled to be fit and play in almost half the games.

Ancelotti has been there and done that with the all star casts - Everton is a much different challenge . It would be great if he could just flick an Ancelotti switch and we are both organised and structured but free flowing and attacking all at the same time. Maybe if he would have been able to spend +£220M last summer I am sure we might has been a little more attacking. 

Think its a little unfair to hold us up against Chelsea at this time. 

image.png.c4c03f125f17ee5d168128c7c6b0cd50.png

What about Leeds then? Are you saying you can't play attacking football with structure? 

Even Brighton play attacking football with structure and they have only conceded one more than us this season. Arsenal picked Spurs apart yesterday playing that way too. 

Of course good players make things easier but it isn't all that matters. I find it mindboggling that so many people think we can't play more attacking football with the squad we have available. 

It's all very Moyes penknives to gunfights again. 

9 hours ago, Bailey said:

What about Leeds then? Are you saying you can't play attacking football with structure? 

Even Brighton play attacking football with structure and they have only conceded one more than us this season. Arsenal picked Spurs apart yesterday playing that way too. 

Of course good players make things easier but it isn't all that matters. I find it mindboggling that so many people think we can't play more attacking football with the squad we have available. 

It's all very Moyes penknives to gunfights again. 

Where are those 3 out of curiosity?

2 hours ago, Hafnia said:

Go back to the first 7/8 games of the season.  Expansive, attacking football where we were conceding but getting out of jail by scoring more than we conceded. 

The injuries exposed the weakness in our squad and games against Southampton and Newcastle proved this.

The fully fit first 11 was an indication as to where Ancellotti wants us but he has had to be pragmatic about tactics with a paper thin squad and fixture congestion and injuries.

Nowhere in Ancellottis history does it indicate he has a Moyes mindset ... But everywhere in Ancellottis history does it indicate that quite frankly - he forgotten far more than you or I know about the game. I know ... Very tough to take is that. 

That last line was very ‘Yoda’ that was. 

28 minutes ago, barryj said:

That last line was very ‘Yoda’ that was. 

The force is strong in this one.  

Its amazing ....mental scars of being managed by Moyes, Allardyce, Silva, Koeman, Martinez.....  All of whom collectively throughout their 80+ years of combined managerial experience have delivered less than Ancellotti has done in a couple of seasons at a variety of clubs.   Seems to have made some Evertonians think that he just maybe isn't doing as well as he should.

Let's get this right....... Some other managers may actually get our players getting better results against some teams.  To some managers some of our players are good enough to get a certain type of result against certain teams.

Imo alot of our players are SHIT.  They may have smatterings of ability in certain moments but most of them could be collectively grouped by the phrase "don't care enough and are not winners".

I want these players gone, they probably know they aren't part of the future and that's why they go through the motions. 

I don't want to see Everton as a race car made of cheap components who has a driver who is good at getting a podium finish against the odds.  I want Everton to be the race car made by expensive quality components driven by a driver who knows how to win races and doesn't waste his time driving dub standard cars. 

1 hour ago, Hafnia said:

I don't want to see Everton as a race car made of cheap components who has a driver who is good at getting a podium finish against the odds.  I want Everton to be the race car made by expensive quality components driven by a driver who knows how to win races and doesn't waste his time driving dub standard cars. 

Don't mention this too loudly near @MikeO - he might think LH is on the way!

5 hours ago, Formby said:

Don't mention this too loudly near @MikeO - he might think LH is on the way!

At this moment in time it feels as though Lewis Hamilton is driving for Williams (us) and for some reason there are envious glances in the direction of Lance Stroll thinking he would do better cos he looks great in a poor car. 

3 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

We only signed James,Doucoure, Allan and Godfrey in the summer and 3 of those have had lengthy absences so it’s still essentially the same squad that none of the last 4 managers could get to play any kind of football whatsoever  , attacking or otherwise

Throw in injuries to DCL and Digne and suspension/ loss of form for Richarlison as well and it’s little wonder that we are still shite, personally I think Carlo has done very well to get anything out of this lot at all. Our starting XI can match anyone on their day but we just haven’t got the squad depth so the minute the injuries kick in we are in trouble

If he can go and get another 3 or 4 signings  of the same calibre we brought in last summer, particularly RB & RW and I’m sure we will look a much better and consistent outfit

Great post. 

1 minute ago, markjazzbassist said:

thank you @c1982 this is why all the Carlo bashers need to check themselves.  6 matches.  without the depth of man city/chelsea/etc we are hamstrung by our weak bench.  more incomings are necessary.  

Exactly. This is the summer to strengthen - even more so than last summer. Our wage bill will be slashed significantly- Walcott, Bolasie, Besic is probably £200k a week then deals for Tosun, Kean (although I’d be happy for him to stay and play) and Kenny are likely with them doing well where they are currently - add to that Bernard who I’d imagine is going and maybe a couple others (Delph at the top of most lists)... 2 or 3 signings has been mentioned but I think that is 2 or 3 ‘big’ signings - I actually think there’ll be another few squad players too now we’ve cleared out some more of the deadwood.

I just hope we can secure European football to justify the larger squad and attract even more beyond the obvious lure of playing under Ancelotti.

26 minutes ago, c1982 said:

Exactly. This is the summer to strengthen - even more so than last summer. Our wage bill will be slashed significantly- Walcott, Bolasie, Besic is probably £200k a week then deals for Tosun, Kean (although I’d be happy for him to stay and play) and Kenny are likely with them doing well where they are currently - add to that Bernard who I’d imagine is going and maybe a couple others (Delph at the top of most lists)... 2 or 3 signings has been mentioned but I think that is 2 or 3 ‘big’ signings - I actually think there’ll be another few squad players too now we’ve cleared out some more of the deadwood.

I just hope we can secure European football to justify the larger squad and attract even more beyond the obvious lure of playing under Ancelotti.

Not trying to single you out, but I've seen a fair number of people on here say something along the lines of "once we get Walcott, Tosun, Delph, Bolasie off our books in the summer"...why are people so confident that we'll find buyers for these guys? Feel like we've had plenty of seasons recently where we were trying to offload guys, never happened, and they rode the bench all season. 

Would gladly hear someone prove me wrong and give me some hope as to these players being gone when we start next season