IGNORED

January Transfer Window

49 minutes ago, dunlopp9987 said:

Watching Sky and haven't heard a peep from us. Hoping that's the calm before the storm...

Agreed. We're doing great at sorting things out for big business this summer but we can also find 2 loans now that will keep us in the conversation for Europe. They don't have to be mutually exclusive. 

7 hours ago, c1982 said:

It’d be good prep for next season (trusting Kenny and Tosun make enough of an impression to secure permanent transfers) but seem like a big missed opportunity for this season. I saw a stat yesterday that said we haven’t made a goal scoring substitution all season. This is why I want a proven striker - ideally Dzeko - I’d prefer younger players but short-term we’ve got a real chance of at least top 6 this season and that will only help recruitment in the summer.

Feels like we always say we’re playing / planning for next season. I just want one year when we play for the here and now! 

Get the sense we thought we had Zirkzee done and are now 'scrambling' to find another. Josh King is tough because his contract is up so I doubt he'll want to come here to play back up while he tries to impress his next club. I don't think I want him here beyond a loan.

Eriksen definitely not happening. I hope we're waiting out Real Madrid and we can pull off Isco at the deadline. 

10 minutes ago, AlbanyNYToffee said:

Get the sense we thought we had Zirkzee done and are now 'scrambling' to find another. Josh King is tough because his contract is up so I doubt he'll want to come here to play back up while he tries to impress his next club. I don't think I want him here beyond a loan.

Eriksen definitely not happening. I hope we're waiting out Real Madrid and we can pull off Isco at the deadline. 

Considering that reports were coming out last Wednesday that Parma were edging closer to him, I would be highly suspect of the board's abilities if they had put all their eggs in one basket and are now "scrambling" to find an alternative

1 minute ago, dunlopp9987 said:

Considering that reports were coming out last Wednesday that Parma were edging closer to him, I would be highly suspect of the board's abilities if they had put all their eggs in one basket and are now "scrambling" to find an alternative

Yea I agree scrambling is definitely the wrong word. If they were concerned about needing a striker they wouldn't have let Tosun go to Besiktas yesterday. They either know someone is coming in or feel they don't need anyone else. 

Summer/Fall 2020
IN: Nkounkou, Allan, James, Doucoure, Godfrey
OUT: Schneiderlin, Hornby, Baines (retired), Dowell, Sandro
LOAN IN: Olsen
LOAN OUT: Markelo, Gibson, Adeniran, Kean, Walcott, Connolly

OFFICIALLY RELEASED: Stekelenberg, Niasse, Martina, Garbutt, Tarashaj

Winter 2021
IN:
OUT: Lossl (free)
LOAN IN:

LOAN OUT: Pennington, Branthwaite, Simms, Bolasie, Tosun, Kenny
CONTRACT ENDS AFTER SEASON: Besic, Bolasie, Walcott, Pennington, Adeniran, Connolly

Squad for 21/22
GK: Pickford, J Virginia
DEF: Keane, Mina, Holgate, Godfrey, Digne, Coleman, Kenny, Nkounkou, Branthwaite, Gibson
MID: Allan, Doucoure, Gomes, Davies, Siggy, Gbamin, Delph, Beni
FWD: DCL, Richarlison, James, Iwobi, Gordon, Bernard, Tosun, Kean

34 minutes ago, barryj said:

Feels like we always say we’re playing / planning for next season. I just want one year when we play for the here and now! 

You can thank Steve Walsh for that. We weren't talking like this under Roberto. We were just screaming about our historically bad defending. 

15 minutes ago, dunlopp9987 said:

If it's the latter, I quit. 

I hate myself for feeling this way because he's seemingly a total knob but I don't see any other options at this point and in fairness he is a winner. I want us to sign Diego Costa. Eh just threw up a little bit. 

some decent deadwood shifted.  end of the year sees more leave which is great.  but we'll still have tosun, kenny, delph, beni that will need to be sold in the summer hopefully.  that would clear us of the deadwood.  honestly only those 4 sounds like a small amount compared to years past.  i imagine bernard and gylfi would probably be out the door in the summer if we found buyers/replacements too.  but i don't consider them deadwood since they contribute.

2 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

some decent deadwood shifted.  end of the year sees more leave which is great.  but we'll still have tosun, kenny, delph, beni that will need to be sold in the summer hopefully.  that would clear us of the deadwood.  honestly only those 4 sounds like a small amount compared to years past.  i imagine bernard and gylfi would probably be out the door in the summer if we found buyers/replacements too.  but i don't consider them deadwood since they contribute.

Contribute is such a relative word

19 minutes ago, dunlopp9987 said:

So incomings were solely dependent on this one move? Makes absolutely no sense to me

17 minutes ago, Matt said:

It’s the Echo. What did you expect? :lol: 

Tbf, Brands said there were no funds available for this window so they may have actually stumbled upon being right :lol:.

1 hour ago, Matt said:

This is the price we pay for Moshiris ignorance/naivety when he first came. 

what is so sad and frustrating about this is that Moshiri is probably both willing and able to pump more funds in to player transfer if he was actually allowed to - especially as now Ancelotti is here and a plan looks a bit more defined and realistic. 

It's sods law that we seem to be one of the clubs suffering mostly for what is the relatively new concept in football of FFP. The likes of Chelsea and Man City dodge the brunt of FFP when over a 3-5year period cash was pumped into those clubs to make them the big clubs they are now. Those clubs (and a few others) where allowed to 'waste' there owners money, just spending more until they got it right they started achieving their goals.  

After decades of waiting for a bona fida investor who is willing to spend, it finally happens and the 'latest' systems within football fucks us!!! and we suffer from what could be perhaps be considered as over enthusiasm to spend and get things moving quickly in the first few years. 

Given everything Moshiri has actually done for the club since he arrived - we can't really vent to much anger his way. 

6 minutes ago, RuffRob said:

what is so sad and frustrating about this is that Moshiri is probably both willing and able to pump more funds in to player transfer if he was actually allowed to - especially as now Ancelotti is here and a plan looks a bit more defined and realistic. 

It's sods law that we seem to be one of the clubs suffering mostly for what is the relatively new concept in football of FFP. The likes of Chelsea and Man City dodge the brunt of FFP when over a 3-5year period cash was pumped into those clubs to make them the big clubs they are now. Those clubs (and a few others) where allowed to 'waste' there owners money, just spending more until they got it right they started achieving their goals.  

After decades of waiting for a bona fida investor who is willing to spend, it finally happens and the 'latest' systems within football fucks us!!! and we suffer from what could be perhaps be considered as over enthusiasm to spend and get things moving quickly in the first few years. 

Given everything Moshiri has actually done for the club since he arrived - we can't really vent to much anger his way. 

I wasn’t venting anger, I was just pointing out the fact that we’re suffering because of his ignorance/naivety. Was all spent with the right intentions but doesn’t change the fact he created the situation. 

surely someone has to come in, we can't fill the bench at the moment!

Bernard clearly isn't wanted and Carlo doesn't really believe Gordon is up to making an impression on the first team just yet.  Ideally Gordon would have done with a Championship loan but we can't afford to let him go out right now without a release clause (no one does that these days!).

Midfield: Allan, Sigurdsson, Doucoure, James, André Gomes, Gbamin*, Davies, Onyango

Wingers/Forwards: Richarlison, Calvert-Lewin, Iwobi, Gordon,

That gives us 7 centrally based midfield players plus James who while I'd say is best in the middle will more likely continue to play on the right in most games.

Including James we have 4 players who can play on the wing and 2 players that can play up front though given Richarlison's form in front of goal that doesn't inspire me!

We really could do with someone who can offer quality backup to the wings/up front whether that be 1 player or two.

It looks like we're not bothering with a new right back till the summer now.

Something will happen - the lack of numbers dictate that!

Bernard move has collapsed by all accounts, but sounds that this was known quite early today if he was training. Apparently we have enquired for King today, which if true (BBC reported), implies the Bernard move has nothing to do with a new incoming Striker