IGNORED

January Transfer Window

1 hour ago, StevO said:

Exactly. You already think that Carlo is a better manager than we’ve had before, so you must surely expect him to do better than previous managers have with these players. 

Exactly what? You're agreeing with a point you've made yourself unrelated to what I'm saying. 

We need recruitment and we need to get it right. It doesn't matter if we have ancelotti or guardiola we aren't getting anywhere near where we want to be with this squad of players. If recruitment isn't right, results will turn and Ancelotti will be to blame after the players give up once again. Rinse repeat. 

24 minutes ago, Aidan said:

Exactly what? You're agreeing with a point you've made yourself unrelated to what I'm saying. 

We need recruitment and we need to get it right. It doesn't matter if we have ancelotti or guardiola we aren't getting anywhere near where we want to be with this squad of players. If recruitment isn't right, results will turn and Ancelotti will be to blame after the players give up once again. Rinse repeat. 

No, I’m still asking you a question. 
you said you have faith in Carlo and there aren’t much better, so I’m asking why would the players not do better under Carlo than they have under previous managers?

You expect them to fold because they always have in the past, so if you have faith in Carlo (which you said you do) don’t you think the players would do better under him? If they wouldn’t do better then there was no point replacing the last man. If Carlo is such a good manager and coach he should improve the players he has shouldn’t he? Otherwise why have faith in him?

8 hours ago, StevO said:

you said you have faith in Carlo and there aren’t much better, so I’m asking why would the players not do better under Carlo than they have under previous managers?

You expect them to fold because they always have in the past, so if you have faith in Carlo (which you said you do) don’t you think the players would do better under him? If they wouldn’t do better then there was no point replacing the last man. If Carlo is such a good manager and coach he should improve the players he has shouldn’t he? Otherwise why have faith in him?

Steve I think Aidan's point is that you can't rely on the manager alone to improve the fortunes of a club. You have to get the right players in, and is there any argument that our recruitment hasn't been up to scratch the past 5 years? We've got a big summer ahead, I think we'll be slightly hamstrung by the amount of money we've spent previously pushing us close to FFP, so we'll have to be smart in the market. But regardless of Ancellotti's reputation, there's no way he's turning this squad into regular Europe/top 5 contenders. He will know that and will be prioritising shaping the squad his way, not just working with what he's been given. 

12 hours ago, c1982 said:

The Wolves fans I know acknowledge they’ve got some top quality players but worry about the lack of depth in their squad. They’ve been incredibly lucky with injuries this season. They’ve done well to cope without Boly but they haven’t had our wretched luck when it comes to injuries. 

I think the only position on the pitch we've been really stung by injuries is in CM. If we'd lost a centre half like Wolves have, we'd have really been in the shit because we literally have no cover there. Wolves have coped because they have better depth than we do. 

11 hours ago, StevO said:

Exactly what Nogs. I'm not trying to be pessimistic for the sake of it, I'm just got getting too excited yet because I know what these players can be like. 

We couldn't have got a better manager in terms of quality, hopefully he identifies some decent targets along with Brands and we can get ourselves out of this mess. 

9 hours ago, nogs said:

Wolves have coped because they have better depth than we do. 

They have used less players in the league than any other team this season and that’s remarkable given they’ve played all of the extra Euro fixtures. They have been extremely lucky with injuries - having Saiss and Dendonker’s versatility has been massive for them as each can cover cb and cm - something Gbamin may have been able to do for us.

14 hours ago, c1982 said:

They have used less players in the league than any other team this season and that’s remarkable given they’ve played all of the extra Euro fixtures. They have been extremely lucky with injuries - having Saiss and Dendonker’s versatility has been massive for them as each can cover cb and cm - something Gbamin may have been able to do for us.

OK, so what Wolves have done the past couple of years is all down to the manager, they've been lucky and have no squad depth - do you think we have a better squad than them then? 

3 hours ago, nogs said:

OK, so what Wolves have done the past couple of years is all down to the manager, they've been lucky and have no squad depth - do you think we have a better squad than them then? 

100% we have a better squad. They have individuals who would massively improve us but I’d confidently say we’ve got a better squad overall. Wolves’ success has been hugely (not solely) down to Santos and his team - he’s got the players really fit and playing in a very successful system.

Wolves are a very good team - they are a local team to me so I know a lot of Wolves fans and the general consensus amongst them is that they have some top class players but not much squad depth. Most felt they were short and worried after the summer window but obviously they have coped really well (an injury crisis could have changed this) and most thought they would get a few more in during this window. Ask any Wolves fan and they’d place Nuno as more important to keep than any single player.  

2 hours ago, StevO said:

I’d take Moutinho, Never and Traore. Not really sure about any of the others. Those three would make a massive difference in our team. Can dream though. 

I like Jimenez neves Patricio and Ones for the future in jota and traore.  Nuno is a great manager, they had a really rough patch to start the season and he weathered it and kept the dressing room.  

3 hours ago, c1982 said:

100% we have a better squad. They have individuals who would massively improve us but I’d confidently say we’ve got a better squad overall. Wolves’ success has been hugely (not solely) down to Santos and his team - he’s got the players really fit and playing in a very successful system.

Wolves are a very good team - they are a local team to me so I know a lot of Wolves fans and the general consensus amongst them is that they have some top class players but not much squad depth. Most felt they were short and worried after the summer window but obviously they have coped really well (an injury crisis could have changed this) and most thought they would get a few more in during this window. Ask any Wolves fan and they’d place Nuno as more important to keep than any single player.  

Fair enough we all have our opinions but it honestly bemuses me that Everton fans still rate our squad. Put it this way - I don't rate Keane, Schneiderlin or Walcott, I didn't rate Tosun before he went out on loan, I certainly don't rate Niasse who has been getting minutes off the bench recently. The jury is still very much out on Davies, Iwobi and Delph, we have no idea about Gbamin, Bernard looks good in glimpses but fitness seems an issue, Coleman's best days look behind him and I don't see how we'll ever get £45m worth out of Sigurdsson. That doesn't leave me with much faith in the depth of our squad! 

1 hour ago, nogs said:

Fair enough we all have our opinions but it honestly bemuses me that Everton fans still rate our squad. Put it this way - I don't rate Keane, Schneiderlin or Walcott, I didn't rate Tosun before he went out on loan, I certainly don't rate Niasse who has been getting minutes off the bench recently. The jury is still very much out on Davies, Iwobi and Delph, we have no idea about Gbamin, Bernard looks good in glimpses but fitness seems an issue, Coleman's best days look behind him and I don't see how we'll ever get £45m worth out of Sigurdsson. That doesn't leave me with much faith in the depth of our squad! 

I don’t rate our squad particularly - I’m just highlighting that we have more squad depth than Wolves. Who, beyond their core 15 odd core players, are very light on numbers beyond untried youth. You may not rate those players you’ve mentioned but they are all international and proven players in the Prem. We’ve had Gomes, Gbamin, Sigurdsson, Delph, Iwobi, Schneiderlin and Bernard missing at the same time in recent weeks - we’ve ‘coped’. An injury crisis of that proportion would leave Wolves with very little hence my original point on squad depth.

1 minute ago, Makis said:

Traore is ridiculously good at the moment and would cost way over 50 million. More like 80 I would guess. He would sort out the right side but don't think he is in our price range.

Can’t believe the season he’s had. He and Neves would be a dream for me. 

Gomes and Neves together would be some CM pairing. 

11 hours ago, Palfy said:

I would go for Neves Moutinho and Traore a 130-150 million should get em. 
And if we haven’t got the readies we can always sell Richarlison and Pickford 😜

If we havent got the readies then Usmanov may have to throw in £100m to give himself first option on the sponsorship rights for the finch farm lawn mowers

Now Traore has added an end product to pure pace and power he has become an absolute beast. Neves gets a lot of attention but for me Jiminez is the one that stands out as gold dust, a genuine all-round centre forward who has got better for playing in the PL and added more goals to his game. Can imagine the likes of Man Utd, Spurs and Chelsea wishing they had him. 

• 8 months later...

we spent a lot this summer so i'm not expecting much in january unless we can generate some sales.  i realize this is a lot for january but if Brands went haywire maybe he could do all this

what i'd like to see:

sell - iwobi (20m), bernard (7m), tosun (5m), bolasie (loan), besic (loan)

buy - backup striker, forward

the striker will be cheap we need an older player with a different skill set for plan B, willing to sit on the bench and be a sub or play cup matches.  We were linked with Fernando Llorente, something like that.  I'd go for broke on the forward find someone who can play on the right or left (like richarlison and james).  keep gordon to be the other forward on the right or left, i'm done with bernard and iwobi i'd rather see anthony mature and get a player with real potential.

I think if we are still in the hunt for 1st we could see another strong window.

Agree with the players above but Gylfi goes as well for me. Big wages and offers nothing but a long shot here and there.

Gomes has until January to decide if he’s one of the midfield 3 or back up - I’d go for Isco and actually believe we could get him. 

Winger and Striker also. Or Inaki Williams who could fill both roles.

12 hours ago, Btay said:

I think if we are still in the hunt for 1st we could see another strong window.

Agree with the players above but Gylfi goes as well for me. Big wages and offers nothing but a long shot here and there.

Gomes has until January to decide if he’s one of the midfield 3 or back up - I’d go for Isco and actually believe we could get him. 

Winger and Striker also. Or Inaki Williams who could fill both roles.

i love gylfi but i'd be fine to see him sold, i think his age and wages will make it impossible sadly, i'm resigned to just keeping him due to that, also it seems Carlo and the players like him, so it might be good for the dressing room.

• 4 weeks later...

with kenny not good enough and coleman injured too easily now, you have to think RB is a priority in January.  we need one asap.  sell kenny and have coleman play cup matches.  it changes the whole dynamic of our team and even formation/team selection.  we need to get this player in.  i think it will help the CB pairing a lot as well.  Use the summer to focus on CB and GK.

17 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

with kenny not good enough and coleman injured too easily now, you have to think RB is a priority in January.  we need one asap.  sell kenny and have coleman play cup matches.  it changes the whole dynamic of our team and even formation/team selection.  we need to get this player in.  i think it will help the CB pairing a lot as well.  Use the summer to focus on CB and GK.

We should have had better forward planning and done this a year, or even two years, earlier.