IGNORED

January Transfer Window

1 hour ago, pete0 said:

Was in the pre-match conference. Don't usually bother watching them myself but was bored.

That’s fair enough, but sometimes you can’t always believe what you here being a person who likes politics you would understand that more than anyone, otherwise Boris would be the best leader in the world and you would be voting Conservative. 
Sometimes you have to say the right things just to make everyone happy, and trust me there’s nothing wrong with that approach to life especially if you want to make someone feel welcome and avoid any doubts as to your actions, but for me the actions of him arriving here speak louder than words. 
He was pretty much going to Fulham deal agreed in principle then at the last minute we jump in offer him something better in the terms of football and money and as by magic he’s here, that doesn’t sound like a serious interest in a player for sometime, that looks like we are letting a lot of players go and we need to get the next available player in quickly and he was available, and let’s be fair sometimes these knee jerk acquisitions pay off, although it definitely didn’t with Delph. 

10 minutes ago, StevO said:

Didn’t do much pre 2016 either. 
The season before his ACL injury he only made 7 starts in the league. His game never recovered from Roberto’s sacking. 

Yes, Roberto thought very highly of him. I think the season before he had a series of hamstring problems. Anyway, can only go on what I saw - I thought there was a good player in there. Without the injuries, maybe he would have shown more of that! 

5 hours ago, Formby said:

Yes, Roberto thought very highly of him. I think the season before he had a series of hamstring problems. Anyway, can only go on what I saw - I thought there was a good player in there. Without the injuries, maybe he would have shown more of that! 

I agree there was a great player in him, he came as a young man with ability just needed some decent coaching, but injuries and management changes conspired against him, a shame really that we never got to get the best out of him. 

6 hours ago, Palfy said:

I agree there was a great player in him, he came as a young man with ability just needed some decent coaching, but injuries and management changes conspired against him, a shame really that we never got to get the best out of him. 

It baffles me that you rated him highly Palfy. He had a very similar style as Gana, just didn’t do anything as well as him. 

Just saw a stat from Optus Sports that over the last 10 transfer windows, when factoring the balance between money spent and money earned on transfers, only City, United, Barcelona, PSG and Inter have a higher balance than us. We've spent $1.1b and earned $557m. Here's the top 18, with each team's balance: 

City ($991m)

United ($920m)

Barcelona ($739m)

PSG ($714m)

Inter ($606m)

Everton ($543m)

Villa ($532m)

Milan ($488m)

Chelsea ($484m)

Arsenal ($469m)

Brighton ($407m)

Spurs ($393m)

Wolves ($391m)

Juventus ($391m)

Fulham ($298m)

Leipzig ($276m)

West Ham ($268m)

Bayern ($268m)

• 10 months later...

Well apparently instead of letting it wait until the end of the window we've made our first signing two weeks before the window opens. Absolutely love that. But most/all of us recognize we're still a hot mess. Going to approach this as realistically as possible: if we can only sign one more player in January hoping for a RB. In the summer we need to replace Allan, Townsend and Mina. Branthwaite and Gordon are looking like great cover for injuries. I'd prefer to never see Holgate, Delph, Gylfi, Iwobi wear the shirt again.  Don't have a problem with Kenny, Keane, Digne, Gbamin, Cenk other than them not being good enough so they can all go as well. 

End goal:
GK - Pickford with JVirginia as depth
RB - new starter with Coleman as depth and Kenny sold
CB - new starter and Godfrey with oft-injured Mina and Branthwaite as depth and Keane/Holgate sold
LB - Vitaliy with Niels as depth and Digne sold
CM - Doucoure and new starter with Davies and Gomes as depth and Allan, Gbamin, Delph, Gylfi gone. Need one depth signing as well
W - Gray and new starter with Townsend and Gordon as depth and Iwobi sold for christs fucking sake
ST - Richarlison and DCL with new ST depth and Dobbin as depth and Cenk/Simms/Rondon sold

Summary:
In - RB, CB, CM, CM, W, ST
Out - Kenny, Keane, Holgate, Digne, Allan, Gbamin, Delph, Gylfi, Iwobi, Cenk, Simms, Rondon

12 hours ago, AlbanyNYToffee said:

Well apparently instead of letting it wait until the end of the window we've made our first signing two weeks before the window opens. Absolutely love that. But most/all of us recognize we're still a hot mess. Going to approach this as realistically as possible: if we can only sign one more player in January hoping for a RB. In the summer we need to replace Allan, Townsend and Mina. Branthwaite and Gordon are looking like great cover for injuries. I'd prefer to never see Holgate, Delph, Gylfi, Iwobi wear the shirt again.  Don't have a problem with Kenny, Keane, Digne, Gbamin, Cenk other than them not being good enough so they can all go as well. 

End goal:
GK - Pickford with JVirginia as depth
RB - new starter with Coleman as depth and Kenny sold
CB - new starter and Godfrey with oft-injured Mina and Branthwaite as depth and Keane/Holgate sold
LB - Vitaliy with Niels as depth and Digne sold
CM - Doucoure and new starter with Davies and Gomes as depth and Allan, Gbamin, Delph, Gylfi gone. Need one depth signing as well
W - Gray and new starter with Townsend and Gordon as depth and Iwobi sold for christs fucking sake
ST - Richarlison and DCL with new ST depth and Dobbin as depth and Cenk/Simms/Rondon sold

Summary:
In - RB, CB, CM, CM, W, ST
Out - Kenny, Keane, Holgate, Digne, Allan, Gbamin, Delph, Gylfi, Iwobi, Cenk, Simms, Rondon

I wouldn’t sell Simms or Allan. 

This window though we should be aggressive on pre contracts for next season.

CB Alessio Romagnoli

RB Noussair mazraoui

CM Boubacar Kamara or Dennis Zakaria

If we have money now though and can get Noussair mazraoui in this window it would help us the most.

I would quite like us to go back in for Maitland Niles - Can immediately play RB, but also has the potential to develop in to a cracking midfielder as well. He has pace and high energy. I think he would do well when playing regular. Would defiantly improve our squad and allow other players so be shifted.

Ideally Arteta obviously does not want him to go, but player seems to definitely want to move on and would hope we are in a good position given we showed interest in him during the summer. will be plenty of opportunities for him on our right side of the pitch. 

1 hour ago, RuffRob said:

I would quite like us to go back in for Maitland Niles - Can immediately play RB, but also has the potential to develop in to a cracking midfielder as well. He has pace and high energy. I think he would do well when playing regular. Would defiantly improve our squad and allow other players so be shifted.

Ideally Arteta obviously does not want him to go, but player seems to definitely want to move on and would hope we are in a good position given we showed interest in him during the summer. will be plenty of opportunities for him on our right side of the pitch. 

Im just really not sure about that. 

AMN is not a good defender, which is exactly what he will spend most of his time doing if he joins. I am sure he can contribute in attack more than Coleman is doing but two attacks a half isnt going to make a difference. 

I do think he could add to our midfield though but mainly just because of his energy and being able to get box-to-box rather than any other qualities he has. 

4 minutes ago, Matt said:

I'd much rather be shopping for a RB and play to the strengths of one of the most successful attacking full backs in Europe...

we have been playing to the strengths of one of the most successful attacking full backs in Europe (with little else on offer) for 3 years now maybe time to build a more balanced offensive approach as it might be more sustainable in the long term. 

we have been playing to the strengths of one of the most successful attacking full backs in Europe (with little else on offer) for 3 years now maybe time to build a more balanced offensive approach as it might be more sustainable in the long term. 

Goals win games, he creates goals. A midfielder could be found that's better defensively and fill that gap when he pushes up, and we've had the before. 

27 minutes ago, Matt said:

Goals win games, he creates goals. A midfielder could be found that's better defensively and fill that gap when he pushes up, and we've had the before. 

No shit. but Grey and Doucoure have been doing well this season so far - my guess is that Digne is having to take a little bit of an offensive back sit to accommodate these being further up the pitch. 

Look at Digne stats of the years he has been here - a steady decline year on year (not just this seasons). Opposition teams know what we are going to to do. We definitely need more of an offensive arsenal than give it to Digne in the final third. 

4 hours ago, Wiggytop said:

6 sounds OK about, but 12 out from a threadbare squad is optimistic, and 6 of those 12 played on Thursday, dream on my friend

Absolutely! It’s totally a dream because nobody wants our crap. We’re still in bind with FFP so we need as many out as possible and we’re not threadbare in size we’re threadbare in talent. Get them out and play Onyango, Dobbin, Whittaker etc. for a game or two if we’re ever this injured again.

11 minutes ago, RuffRob said:

No shit. but Grey and Doucoure have been doing well this season so far - my guess is that Digne is having to take a little bit of an offensive back sit to accommodate these being further up the pitch. 

Look at Digne stats of the years he has been here - a steady decline year on year (not just this seasons). Opposition teams know what we are going to to do. We definitely need more of an offensive arsenal than give it to Digne in the final third. 

2 things there that made me laugh out loud. 1) we've got others (finally) creating so let's limit ourselves from creating too much and 2) you mean the guys who've missed a bunch of games from injury?

Digne has certainly not been as good as he has been early days with us, but very few have (due to a mix of chop and change of managers and some genuinely poor players). If he's being limited by tactics, that's unacceptable. 

If I was defending and knew Digne and Grey were both attacking, I wouldn't know what to do. If one wing is prioritised, your game plan is to reinforce that one side and push the other flank. 2 attacking sides of the pitch brings balance and makes the oppositions planning harder, not to mention double the options for our slow midfield to distribute to. 

17 minutes ago, Matt said:

2 things there that made me laugh out loud. 1) we've got others (finally) creating so let's limit ourselves from creating too much and 2) you mean the guys who've missed a bunch of games from injury?

Digne has certainly not been as good as he has been early days with us, but very few have (due to a mix of chop and change of managers and some genuinely poor players). If he's being limited by tactics, that's unacceptable. 

If I was defending and knew Digne and Grey were both attacking, I wouldn't know what to do. If one wing is prioritised, your game plan is to reinforce that one side and push the other flank. 2 attacking sides of the pitch brings balance and makes the oppositions planning harder, not to mention double the options for our slow midfield to distribute to. 

such a black and white comment - nobody is suggesting Digne is 'switched off' as an offensive option. Just that we develop and mix it up more than stick it out left for Digne to put a cross in. Its been our default attacking outlet for a couple of years, and its been getting less potent as team kind of know what we are going to try and do. 

Do you not think we should have alternatives and more varied options to attacking than Digne getting crosses in? No harm in some attacks coming via Digne, but lets try and develop away from simply being a one trick pony.  

Don't get bogged down by one players stats.

3 hours ago, RuffRob said:

such a black and white comment - nobody is suggesting Digne is 'switched off' as an offensive option. Just that we develop and mix it up more than stick it out left for Digne to put a cross in. Its been our default attacking outlet for a couple of years, and its been getting less potent as team kind of know what we are going to try and do. 

Do you not think we should have alternatives and more varied options to attacking than Digne getting crosses in? No harm in some attacks coming via Digne, but lets try and develop away from simply being a one trick pony.  

I understand I hope what you are saying Digne himself and others might see the crossing side of his game as his best asset, and it probably was when DCL was fit and there to take advantage of the ball’s that come in, but when the main focus to take advantage of those crosses isn’t available they become wasted, so you have to look for a different way, we haven’t seen the amount of ball’s coming into box from both sides since DCL has been injured, but what we have seen is more cutting in from wide players and slide rule passes, which is trying to play more to the strength of the team available. I think it was Shukes who said that Digne had put in so many goal opportunity crosse’s with not one converted, not surprising when the only player capable of getting on the end of them is injured. Digne needs to give the manager his full backing and understand it’s not all about him be professional and sacrifice your own game for the good of the team.  

Well, yeah, because it is that fucking simple. Digne is not a good defender but he creates goals. But now we should ignore that because a couple of others are pulling their weight? Why not have options for creating goals? I'm not "bogged down", I'm laughing my ass off because you think we don't need him now because some others have shown 30% of a season that they can do that when they're fit. 

46 minutes ago, Matt said:

Well, yeah, because it is that fucking simple. Digne is not a good defender but he creates goals. But now we should ignore that because a couple of others are pulling their weight? Why not have options for creating goals? I'm not "bogged down", I'm laughing my ass off because you think we don't need him now because some others have shown 30% of a season that they can do that when they're fit. 

November, and only scoring once, now has an explanation. We were just scoring too many goals and creating too many chances and we needed to dampen the excitement for a little bit :lol:.

2 hours ago, Matt said:

Did you even read my post, who said we should now ignore Digne creating? You are just making stuff up now and making out things are black and white again. Too much laughing gas?

I have said we need to be balanced and not prodominately any one biased route. ALL players need to take responsibility on getting balance in the team this season and how we play, as opposed to being one dimentional and trying to playing to any one single players preference game after game. 

Show me one post where anybody says Digne should be ignored offensively?