IGNORED

Manchester United (Home) Sunday March 1

markjazzbassist

Football is no longer a sport, it's a commercial entity that's geared towards people who don't go the game and get their football fix from internet streams and a PlayStation. The game as we know it has gone, goals aren't celebrated anymore in stadiums because VAR looms over every decision like an unwelcome fart at a dinner party and when these decisions are "analysed" the matchday fan doesn't see a thing. 

Commerically, the Premier League has never been better which is what those at the top want. There will never be another Leicester City because it won't be allowed - Manchester United being a mid-table team on the field yet +6-8 points directly because of VAR speaks volumes. Money talks, and god forbid Manchester United Ltd ended up in the wilderness of the bottom half. 

I'm surprised about how uninterested I am to the whole situation, my love for the Premier League evaporates with every passing match-day. So proud of Carlo though, he gets it. 

1 hour ago, nogs said:

Am I missing something or is it not offside if the ball comes off the defender, regardless of whether the player is in the eyeline? 

If it hits Gylfi it’s offside regardless of the ball deflecting. The ball going forward is what matters. He was offside when DCL hits the ball forward. 
But, it should only be called if it hits Gylfi. Hi haven’t watched it again yet so can’t tell.

If it doesn’t hit him, then it’s blatant cheating by VAR officials. 

The fans have got to start making some serious objections to VAR.  Someone needs to organise something.  Football officialdom aren't going to dump it, you can bet there are vested interests at play.  Ref's are in favour too, it gives them a kop-out.

3 minutes ago, Shukes said:

If it hits Gylfi it’s offside regardless of the ball deflecting. The ball going forward is what matters. He was offside when DCL hits the ball forward. 
But, it should only be called if it hits Gylfi. Hi haven’t watched it again yet so can’t tell.

Screenshot_20200301_170539.jpg

Maybe this will help. 

1 minute ago, Aidan said:

Screenshot_20200301_170539.jpg

Maybe this will help. 

As far as I could see he doesn’t touch the ball, so that doesn’t count as offside does it? 
But as I said I haven’t saw the replay yet, so he could have touched it. Couldn’t be sure from what I saw.

DCLs shot was deliberate, and most definitely forward. But Gylfi HAS to touch the ball for it to be offside.

3 minutes ago, Shukes said:

As far as I could see he doesn’t touch the ball, so that doesn’t count as offside does it? 
But as I said I haven’t saw the replay yet, so he could have touched it. Couldn’t be sure from what I saw.

DCLs shot was deliberate, and most definitely forward. But Gylfi HAS to touch the ball for it to be offside.

He didn't.

2 minutes ago, Aidan said:

I suppose we break it down. The important part there is 'clearly obstructting the opponents line of vision'

It wouldn't be wrong to suggest that if he Siggy was clearly obstructing the line of vision de gea would not have gone to dive to his right before the shot deflected off the defender.

Nothing clear about the obstruction by sigurdsson and nothing clear and obvious about the VAR decision.

To touch on your point Gylfi doesn't have to touch the ball, he has to interfere with play to be deemed offside, which he didn't. 

We were factually robbed. No opinion about it the refs got it wrong.

I feel like we have been cheated.

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

Surely the deflection  changes everything. Wasn't in the way prior to the deflection, and as a result of the deflection he is therefore back onside.

1 hour ago, Btay said:

Anywhere else on the pitch you play a ball and get contact it’s a foul. The speed of the decision was a joke and it just seems like they have found a reason to disallow it.

Don't remember what game but remember VAR taking ages looking at a reply saying if it's hit the player then the goal was gonna get ruled offside. They were checking all the angles and zooming in. 

Strange how the rules change when it comes to us and how much faster they can make that decision. 

1 minute ago, Shukes said:

That was my initial reaction. Penalty. 
We’ve been absolutely cheated out of this. 

I'm not sure what the VAR actually sits there and checks. He must have seen the foul in the lead up to the goal. 

It's a shambles and does not seem to be improving. 

1 hour ago, Shukes said:

It didn't hit him, he moved his foot out the way so it didn't. And from what I can tell from the rule book, he wasn't 'active' either, because the rules distinguish between being 'in the active area', which he was, and 'being active' which means touching the ball or otherwise doing something to influence play. Sigurdsson was just sat there. 

Sooooo pissed off at the result, we have definately been robbed of the win, it feels like a loss to me, and seemed to be the same for everyone else on the bus back in to town we took.

Plus points, we kept going to the end, numerous corners ( which we should have made more of though) and DCL, what a player he is turning out to be this season.

Time for a big drink now.

29 minutes ago, badaids said:

My rule of thumb for borderline decisions is to consider how I’d feel if the decision had been given against us. 

I’d have been fucking mad if that goal had been scored against us and been allowed to stand.

But that's kind of the point. If United had scored that goal it would have stood, it's the inequality; there was no "clear and obvious" error. De Gea's actions were not in any way affected by Gylfi's position on the pitch and at no time was his view impaired evidenced by his actions on moving to where the ball was headed and then his attempt to change after the deflection off his own player.

I'd have been mad if we'd conceded that but if someone sat me down in a padded cell for a couple of hours I could eventually concede the logic.

We’ve been fucked out of points again. Standard now, isn’t it? Any 50/50 decision and you can guarantee it goes against us. I’m getting sick of it now.

That being said, despite a very poor first half (our midfield was just embarrassing. All of them.) from us we improved massively in the second half and, once again, you can see the progress we’re making under Ancelotti and I am genuinely excited to see what we’re like next season after he’s jettisoned passengers like Gylfi, brought his own players in, and had a full pre-season with the players he trusts. 

2 minutes ago, Matt said:

“Everton defender Michael Keane described it as a "ridiculous" decision. 

"How has that goal been disallowed for us?" he asked on BBC Radio 5 Live. "De Gea has gone the other way because he can see the ball and it was going towards that corner. Then it hit Harry Maguire - I think it was Maguire anyway - and it's gone right in the corner.

"There's not a chance he's getting back to save it. VAR screwed us again."

well said lad

Probably get a retrospective ban now :lol: but I agree with him. 

6 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

I didn’t even notice at the time. It was only after the game when I watched the replay. Definite penalty though, Sigurdsson is taken out. No ifs or buts. 

I’m with you I’ve only just got home  and I didnt see that as a pen live time. I was though (wrongly) quite confident at the time that the goal was going to stand as I was confident that Siggy hadn’t touched it as were the people around me. I was also surprised in retrospect that it didn’t take them long to disallow it as since I’ve been home I’ve seen lots of videos and different angles. We were clearly robbed. We’ve had some real shockers this season. I just get annoyed it will all get brushed under the carpet by the media. 

1 hour ago, TallPaul1878 said:

I have come to not be surprised when a referee decides to protect a big club when they are struggling. If Gylfi wasn't there they'd have found some other way to disallow the goal. Striking the ball too aggressively and with malice or some other contrived bollocks.

I'm sick of seeing our players getting lumps kicked out of them, serious injuries incurred and it all gets waved away. How Richarlison hasn't been crocked yet is a miracle, he gets kicked off the park most weeks. Sure he makes a meal of it but he never dives, he is always getting kicked.

I was proud of the lads (DCL and Davies) for meeting fire with fire. That should be our tactic every week. They don't like us, we don't care!

Agree with all of this

6 hours ago, Hafnia said:

Fernandez looks a player but they are going over the top about him.  Has he played against a top midfield yet? 

He looks solid and seems to have settled well but Carragher was jizzing himself silly over him from the first whistle. 

Talented enough on the ball but can be exploited off it.