IGNORED

Thiago Silva

I think we need a senior centre back to help Holgate, Mina, academy prospects (Gibson/Branthwaite) and whoever we sign. I can see Keane going and a younger cb a bit further on than the academy lads coming. Silva is the kind of player we need for the younger players to look up to and learn from.

4 hours ago, Bill said:

They might learn how to play with walking sticks. 35 years old ffs. Absolutely not.

Richard Gough didn’t do too bad. Laurent Blanc at Man U. That’s just 2 examples off the top of my head - there’ll be loads more. Ancelotti is no mug - I’d back his judgement on this one.

This is a one time in a hundred when you'd be all over a player that's 35. Someone who has captained the likes of Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Kylian Mbappe, David Beckham, Neymar. You just can't put a price on experience like that, especially as he will be for one in a position that we need to strengthen and two alongside Mason Holgate, for whom he would be a fantastic mentor. 

Not to mention that his leadership skills would work wonders for the South Americans in the team (Bernard, Mina, Charlie). He's not exactly a bad player either, won it all domestically for PSG and held his own with a marquee squad around him - we would do a lot worse, and there's plenty of interest.

I agree with the comments above, but we’d be buying him as a player not a coach. Every great player has a time when they can’t play to the standard they once did and what’s needed for a competitive premier league. You need to know when that is because a club will be caught out with expensive wages without a quality player to match. Ginola, Gascoigne ......🤔 

1 minute ago, markjazzbassist said:

Get him in the minute the contract is up.  Already have the new contract agreed upon so it’s just a formality.  We could use him this season 

It won’t be this season. As the transfer window won’t open until the season is over, it would have to be next season. 

4 hours ago, Hafnia said:

Some of our best signings/players have been old centre halves..... gough, weir, watson, jags, Stubbs..... all were able to stand out on the pitch despite old legs.

Could be a great signing. 

I agree good shout, but most of them had good protection from better midfields in front of them, if they didn’t have the legs with what’s in front of them at the moment  they could struggle, I don’t think an old head could cope with the lack of midfield softness we have at the moment. 

14 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

if there is anyone who can cope with a lack of midfield @Palfy it is an old head.  they know positioning better than a young-in.  i'm really warming to Silva here, another free (like fraser possibly) that could be smart business during an uncertain time of spending.

David Luiz says hello.