IGNORED

Wolverhampton Wanderers (Away) 1st Nov

MikeO

Just now, chicagoblue said:

Kenny?

Just now, dunlopp9987 said:

As the old saying goes, when you need a goal, Jonjoe Kenny is your man

Overloading the right wing with Gordon and Kenny, on the face of it I was puzzled but I can see what Benitez is thinking.

Oh fuck off, so nearly 2-2.

Well, as predicted we were better in the second half, as we usually are, but if we continue to shit the bed like that in every match we aren't going to win many matches. 

I think Rafa set us up with the wrong team - it was the wrong match to start Gbamin, and we could have been 4 or 5 down at half time due to those terrible errors.  They are not Rafa's fault. PIckford MOTM.  

Can't wait for us to get annihilated on Sunday by Spurs, I thought they would probably do it following the buzz of sacking Nuno but will most definitely brush us aside if they bring in Conte.

If we could somehow bin off the board, manager and players before starting from scratch next week I'd take it. 

9 minutes ago, badaids said:

Well, as predicted we were better in the second half, as we usually are, but if we continue to shit the bed like that in every match we aren't going to win many matches. 

I think Rafa set us up with the wrong team - it was the wrong match to start Gbamin, and we could have been 4 or 5 down at half time due to those terrible errors.  They are not Rafa's fault. PIckford MOTM.  

I don’t think delph or Davies would have faired much better to be honest. Wolves dropped their intensity massively. We needed a 3 man midfield and I’m concerned Rafa didn’t see that.

Feeling all a bit numb to it to be honest, I'd be going to bed in a right mood after a defeat on MNF but I'm a bit emotionless at the moment, I feel as though we're just a bit of a shit team at the minute - mid-table at best and getting what we deserve which is the odd win here and the odd three defeats there. 

We probably won't go down, but won't get near Europe and get to do it all again next August with a new manager and some new transfers. 

The harsh reality is that the club just isn't going anywhere. The amount of problems we have has been well documented over and over on this forum and put together makes a list longer than your arm. The fact that we have to patch an XI together every week is just beyond a joke, wouldn't surprise me at all if we end up sticking Ben Godfrey up top against Spurs and name a Premier League record 4th goalkeeper on the bench.

1 minute ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

Feeling all a bit numb to it to be honest, I'd be going to bed in a right mood after a defeat on MNF but I'm a bit emotionless at the moment, I feel as though we're just a bit of a shit team at the minute - mid-table at best and getting what we deserve which is the odd win here and the odd three defeats there. 

We probably won't go down, but won't get near Europe and get to do it all again next August with a new manager and some new transfers. 

The harsh reality is that the club just isn't going anywhere. The amount of problems we have has been well documented over and over on this forum and put together makes a list longer than your arm. The fact that we have to patch an XI together every week is just beyond a joke, wouldn't surprise me at all if we end up sticking Ben Godfrey up top against Spurs and name a Premier League record 4th goalkeeper on the bench.

Worth a side bet though if you're a gambling man.

10 minutes ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

You say that the harsh reality is that the club just isn't going anywhere.  Haven't you read about Bramley Moor Docks?😁

We are fucking awful.

We don't press or close down, so the opposition has the freedom to pick their passes. The defence gets very little protection from the midfield so they're constantly under pressure, and when you've got the braindead Holgate and the bodydead Godfrey as part of that defence you're in deep shit. When we do have the ball we haven't got a fucking clue what to do with it, and invariably play it to the opposition. Do we even know how to pass it to a team mate? Do we even practice it? I'm being deadly serious with this question. We are a horrendous footballing side, it's actually quite scary just how bad at playing football we are. 

The manager is a massive part of the problem we currently face but at the same time he's the fucking least of our worries.

We are just absolutely shite. I could go through all of those dick heads tonight and tear them apart other than probably Richarlison, Pickford and maybe Allan.

At least it was a better second half. Wolves should have probably still scored 2 or 3 given the positions they got themselves in but we actually played some football and we played some of it in their half. 

Benitez has to cop a lot of stick for that inept first half. We knew last week that a 2 man central midfield wasnt going to work but he trotted it out again. He also had us sat so deep. I said 5 minutes in that we had all 11 players 40 yards from goal. You just invite trouble and Wolves can play a bit and they had all the time in the world to move us about, get between the lines and then create overloads. At least he did see some sense and changed things before the end of the first half. 

As for the players:

Pickford - Couple of great saves. 

Coleman - Probably as bad as he has played for a while. He really struggled with anything.

Keane - Jimenez pulled off him time and time again. He isolated himself and made him look like the statue he is. He still made some crucial interceptions but he was all over the place.

Holgate - Typical game from him. Some decent moments shrouded by some complete braindeadedness. 

Godfrey - Hopefully that is the left back debate settled. Poor defensively, poor going forward. The more I see it, the more I think he should do better for the first goal too. Just like last week, he misjudged the flight of the ball.

Gbamin - That is probably him done isn't it? He doesn't have the technique to play central midfield in this league and I don't think he really knows what he is doing either. 

Allan - My MoTM. He was chasing a lot of shadows and certainly wasn't perfect but he never shied away from the ball and in that second half he was the one getting us going forward in the press. 

Delph - Made a difference and I think he showed he is a better option than Gbamin and Davies. He will be injured for the next two seasons but he is vying with Gomes for the 3rd midfielder spot.

Iwobi - What a fucking waste of space. I don't think he won a ball that he was 100% certain of winning. It was pathetic. 

Townsend - I wasn't sure he was playing for the first 30 minutes and he too played a hand in the first goal. When he moved into the 3 man-midfield he became much more involved and he did quite well. There wasn't a lot of quality but he gave it a good go, battled hard and made a difference. Again though, think how far down the pecking order Davies and JP are when a 30+ year old winger is playing in central midfield ahead of them.

Gray - Now this is the fella I remember. Of the few chances we had he did his very best to make an absolute meal of them. He didn't want to know in the first half but he did have a go in the second, it was just a shame he made bad decisions in good positions.

Richarlison - My other main MoTM candidate. He never stopped working or running. He would have had a lot more joy had those behind him played at his level.

Gordon - Made a difference when he came on. He actually won a tackle but he was also positive on the ball. I can't see how he doesn't start ahead of Iwobi in the next game.

8 hours ago, Bailey said:

Benitez has to cop a lot of stick for that inept first half. We knew last week that a 2 man central midfield wasnt going to work but he trotted it out again. He also had us sat so deep

Yes totally agree, and expecting Gbamin to come in and play Doucoures role was a fantasy football move, he’s not kicked a ball properly since joining us, he’s miles off the pace and not PL match fit.

What worries me is that we could all see the formation was wrong, yet it took Rafa 45 mins to change anything. The starting line up had two errors, Gbamin and Iwobi, if we had gone with a park the bus formation and look to score on the break I think we would have all been happier.

Only consolation is we didn’t get another hammering.

19 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Mid-table would be wonderful but I don't think we'll be even getting that.

Yes, I agree.  We have, (at a push) eleven Premiership quality players in the squad. A few injuries and we have to bring in Championship quality players and that is overly generous to one or two.  We desperately need a clear-out and a bit of quality brought in, particularly in midfield.