IGNORED

Frank Lampard

13 hours ago, Btay said:

I feel I always side with the manager until they are sacked but I must say, I feel the goals we concede are not down to poor instructions or tactics from that manager. Look at Soton - their first goal is just school boy errors, long ball to the CF, Tarks doesn’t even try and get in to an area to cover & Godfrey dives in. Second goal - they 100% would have stressed not to give a free kick away in that exact area. Gordon is just a dickhead. Myko tries to get on the line but doesn’t get there & Pickford leaves it thinking Myko has that side covered.

Frank has his flaws but right now, he’s the only person in any elevated role that has integrity & respect towards the club/fans.

There are coaching issues with a lot of the goals but actually if we look deeper it's clear that those individual errors leading to specific goals are always likely to happen.

We concede more shot per game than any other team as well as the second most shots and crosses blocked clearly showing that we are constantly battling to avoid conceeding.  In fact despite being a respectable 9th on the goals conceded column our xGA (expected goals against) (31.3) is the 19th worst with only a Fulham below us, who have also conceded less than their xGA (34.5).

With this kind of goal expectancy against we always going to be in trouble.

Add to that our lack of attacking threat and were in even bigger trouble.  Fulham are poor in defence but they have Mitrovic on 11 goals and actually have the 6th best xG.

We have the 16th worst xG at just 19.9 (we've actually only scored 15 and our top scorers are 2 wingers with 3 each.

--

For those reasons I think dissecting individual goals and mistakes is futile.  We need to be doing better at stopping the opposition getting those shooting chances in the first place.

--

Attack wise, we need to be quick on the counter attack and attack in numbers and at pace.  We scored some good goals under Lampard, Benitez and Ancelotti doing this.  Sure Richarlison's pace, desire and ability running at people helped but Gray and Gordon are capable enough, Iwobi is fast enough to get forward and involved as is DCL.  Too often I saw us start a counter attack against Southampton only to run out of pace and options and end up having to turn around to look for a pass.  This is very much something that can be trained

9 hours ago, RPG said:

Wasn't that one of the criticisms of Ancelotti - he just told the players to 'go out and play?'

Ancellotti was very structured, especially when we started to play deeper. 

On a very basic attacking level, look at how he directed Dom to play. Very central, always on the move, focussed more on being on the end of things in the box rather than anything else.

3 hours ago, FairWooney said:

There are coaching issues with a lot of the goals but actually if we look deeper it's clear that those individual errors leading to specific goals are always likely to happen.

We concede more shot per game than any other team as well as the second most shots and crosses blocked clearly showing that we are constantly battling to avoid conceeding.  In fact despite being a respectable 9th on the goals conceded column our xGA (expected goals against) (31.3) is the 19th worst with only a Fulham below us, who have also conceded less than their xGA (34.5).

With this kind of goal expectancy against we always going to be in trouble.

Add to that our lack of attacking threat and were in even bigger trouble.  Fulham are poor in defence but they have Mitrovic on 11 goals and actually have the 6th best xG.

We have the 16th worst xG at just 19.9 (we've actually only scored 15 and our top scorers are 2 wingers with 3 each.

--

For those reasons I think dissecting individual goals and mistakes is futile.  We need to be doing better at stopping the opposition getting those shooting chances in the first place.

--

Attack wise, we need to be quick on the counter attack and attack in numbers and at pace.  We scored some good goals under Lampard, Benitez and Ancelotti doing this.  Sure Richarlison's pace, desire and ability running at people helped but Gray and Gordon are capable enough, Iwobi is fast enough to get forward and involved as is DCL.  Too often I saw us start a counter attack against Southampton only to run out of pace and options and end up having to turn around to look for a pass.  This is very much something that can be trained

Couldn't agree more.

The signs have been there under Lampard for a long time and I don't see how bringing more players under his guidance will make the significant improvements we need. 

If you dont get into good positions in the final third regularly enough you wont score goals and if you let the opposition into dangerous positions into the final third too often, they will score too many goals. 

A good example of the latter is the United cup game. They got into those positions time and time again and whilst one was an OG and one was a penalty, it was because we let them into really good positions far too often and that eventualy something was going to come of it. 

18 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

Arteta - first season - Arsenal - "he's gotta go". 

Spending well on a good striker will turn this season around.

This is what I'm hoping too. I've said before Frank could be the similar catalyst but he still needs to be doing better than he is. My fear is that he isn't a dog fight manager, not really sure what type of manager he is. 

1 hour ago, Matt said:

This is what I'm hoping too. I've said before Frank could be the similar catalyst but he still needs to be doing better than he is. My fear is that he isn't a dog fight manager, not really sure what type of manager he is. 

And that's the problem for me -- he isn't any type of manager from what I can tell. Each game looks different but still equally bad. Our players don't look like they know what they're doing. I pray we can get a new striker, but I still don't think that's going to turn us around. Dom is off pace and struggling for fitness, but he's not a bad striker. 

I like Frank, but I really don't see what he is bringing to the table. 

21 minutes ago, Sibdane said:

And that's the problem for me -- he isn't any type of manager from what I can tell. Each game looks different but still equally bad. Our players don't look like they know what they're doing. I pray we can get a new striker, but I still don't think that's going to turn us around. Dom is off pace and struggling for fitness, but he's not a bad striker. 

I like Frank, but I really don't see what he is bringing to the table. 

Same. I think he'd make a really good assistant just because of his personality. But I don't know what he does as a manager. 

1 hour ago, Matt said:

Same. I think he'd make a really good assistant just because of his personality. But I don't know what he does as a manager. 

I think we're pretty much stuck with him because of the poor shape our finances are in though.

Like others have said, I really don't think we can afford to sack him. 

I’d bring Rooney in…. Couldn’t give a toss. He would get the players moving and they would not get away with half efforts.  We don’t need a master tactician, we need a manager who can understand what is needed to win games and has a laser focus on getting the players to do it.  

5 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

I’d bring Rooney in…. Couldn’t give a toss. He would get the players moving and they would not get away with half efforts.  We don’t need a master tactician, we need a manager who can understand what is needed to win games and has a laser focus on getting the players to do it.  

Most definitely not.

11 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

I think we need more experience. Someone who has been there and done it before. 

I dont think the players lack effort, they lack half decent coaching and direction. 

Rooney did a lot for Derby and of the little I saw of them I thought they looked alright but their form really slumped at the end of the season and by all accounts he isnt doing that well at DC United. If we are going for unproven managers, I think there are going to be a lot of better candidates abroad that help the players understand their roles and what is required of them but I don't think that is what we need right now. 

12 minutes ago, StevO said:

Frank is going nowhere. Unless the fans vocally turn on him. Moshiri has said so himself, he gets rid of managers when the fans want him to. So unless we call for his head he’s staying. 

Didn't he say that 2 weeks before Rafa got booted? If its not about money his word means nothing in terms of the club. 

Not sure how useful these 'weekly' grillings are in pre-match press conference. Lots of very samey loaded questions. I do feel for manager who have to prepare for them - especially when things are not going great. Trying not to air your dirty launder in public.

It would do one or two others the world of good to be grilled openly weekly by the media. They might think a bit more on the consequences of decisions they do. Imagine if Kenwright, as Chairman of the club, had to come up with the answers. 

9 minutes ago, RuffRob said:

Not sure how useful these 'weekly' grillings are in pre-match press conference. Lots of very samey loaded questions. I do feel for manager who have to prepare for them - especially when things are not going great. Trying not to air your dirty launder in public.

It would do one or two others the world of good to be grilled openly weekly by the media. They might think a bit more on the consequences of decisions they do. Imagine if Kenwright, as Chairman of the club, had to come up with the answers.   

Antonio Conte said something similar a couple of days back...

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/64308907.amp

Lampard's recent comments were that Moshiri and the board were honest people. I thought that was a very strange thing to say no matter what the circumstances in this standoff between the fans it's owner and board, in which truths or untruths currently have a big part to play. I would have thought a manager who is desperate for the fans to get behind his team, would have remained more neutral or chosen his words more carefully, unless of course he stands firmly on the side of Moshiri and his board, and believes the fans are wrong to protest. 

26 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Lampard's recent comments were that Moshiri and the board were honest people. I thought that was a very strange thing to say no matter what the circumstances in this standoff between the fans it's owner and board, in which truths or untruths currently have a big part to play. I would have thought a manager who is desperate for the fans to get behind his team, would have remained more neutral or chosen his words more carefully, unless of course he stands firmly on the side of Moshiri and his board, and believes the fans are wrong to protest. 

He isn't stupid, he knows who pays him! 

5 hours ago, Palfy said:

Where did he say that Palfy? I watched his press conference but didn’t notice it. I was cooking at the time so might have missed it. 

14 minutes ago, StevO said:

Where did he say that Palfy? I watched his press conference but didn’t notice it. I was cooking at the time so might have missed it. 

I can't really remember who published the story I read so much shit by so many outlets Everton would seem to be the media's go to for filling pages, tried tracking it back it was only 3 or so days ago but can't locate it, was definitely after the Saints game because the Mina and Gordon fans incident was brought up. But I just remember at the time thinking honest owner and board in the same sentence was a strange thing to say. I'll keep looking honest 😂

6 hours ago, Palfy said:

I didn’t interpret the conversation as that. Basically are you having honest conversations around transfers…. Basically are you telling them what you want and are they being straight in their answers?