IGNORED

Ifs, buts and Maybes

Other results this weekend have gone our way better than expected, this now takes a bit of pressure off this being a must win game, a draw gets us closer to within one point of safety. This fight as a long way to go and won’t be over after this result no matter what the score is. 

6 hours ago, RPG said:

I think Soton are gone. That defeat at Newcastle yesterday (after taking the lead) will kill them and they are 4 points behind us and 6 points from safety with only 4 games left.

Have a look at Leeds' fixures - I can't see them getting another point.

Forest have some hard games coming up. They may beat Soton but I can't see them getting any more than 3 points to the end of the season.

Even Leicester, after they play us have tricky games v Fulham, Newcastle, Liverpool and West Ham.

It is vital, imho, that we don't lose at Leicester tonight. A win would be geat but a draw means we increase our gap on Soton and move a point closer to Forest and Leeds.

2 hours ago, Palfy said:

Other results this weekend have gone our way better than expected, this now takes a bit of pressure off this being a must win game, a draw gets us closer to within one point of safety. This fight as a long way to go and won’t be over after this result no matter what the score is. 

Can you two stop giving us hope please?! 😂

1 hour ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Thought he was pretty much spot on myself 

There was an element of accuracy till he went overboard on the Everton competing with Liverpool. For me that overtook the feeling of the article. Has nothing to do with Liverpool, Everton have their own history to compete with and aspire to sustain. 

1 hour ago, Hafnia said:

There was an element of accuracy till he went overboard on the Everton competing with Liverpool. For me that overtook the feeling of the article. Has nothing to do with Liverpool, Everton have their own history to compete with and aspire to sustain. 

Yeah that fair comment I suppose, we will always be their rivals as we share the same city however the way football is now with the way the so called elite have ring fenced their status I doubt we will ever be able to compete 

On 30/04/2023 at 09:24, Shukes said:

We did try for Gyorkes didn’t we, but they said he wasn’t available and would be staying for the rest of the season. Same with a few others.

It got to the point where we just needed to bring someone on for the sake of another body, and unfortunately that’s what we did. 

I think that was in January. I Imagine that if we wanted him enough in the summer, we would have signed him.

On 30/04/2023 at 12:08, Hafnia said:

I’m not nervous about the games, I’m getting more nervous about tactics and team selection. 

it appears the dyche clean slate is getting cloggy.  Patterson, Coady, Mina, not getting a chance but Keane, iwobi, maupay, Godfrey seemingly are ok in his eyes. 

Whilst I do understand this to an extent, any manager gives a chance to these players in training day in day out. Its not like a fan who only gets to watch them at the game. 

Its another example of becoming a better player on the bench though as when they came out of the team, there wouldnt have been too many on here that would have argued given how poorly they were playing. 

4 hours ago, plaidharper said:

Who else is anxious? Saw that a matchday thread has not been made...

Me.

I was optimistic prior to Fulham and then again vs Newcastle (because those were home games)....we've pissed those away and while the league table outlook doesn't look as bad as it did a week ago.....I just have zero trust in our players to deliver a good performance.

I want to believe, I really do, I want them to turn in that war cry of a performance that shuts everyone the f*** up but I worry that is just the heart ruling the head.

There's a chance the other clubs around us don't pick up any more points, but I don't see us getting anything from City or Brighton. We have to get results against Wolves and Bournemouth with at least one win, and that is IF two of Leicester, Leeds, or Forest don't gain more than a couple of draws. 

Just now, RPG said:

I'm not convinced. Leeds are away at Man City next and should get thrashed. That means a point at Brighton moves us above Leeds. Forest play Soton who know that if they lose they are down so Soton will be fighting for their lives.

I think we may limp to safety one point at a time.

Could do with Southampton beating Forest really. 
I don’t see us beating Brighton, I’d take a draw if we could get it. 

We could have won that, Leicester could have won that.. so a draw is probably the right result.

I'm heartened by the performance - we looked threatening going forward (really wish they'd still had the ex-gobshite in goal), which is what is key if we're going to get out of this, and we didn't throw in the towel once the game was turned around on us.

Talking of not throwing in the towel - I mean that more about individuals than the team as a whole. Iwobi and Keane both had horrendous first half's. I wanted to discover how to teleport so I could murder the pair of them to be honest. They could have easily completely capitulated for the rest of the game but they didn't.

There wasn't much Keane could do about getting quicker to deal with the pace of Vardy, but we've seen him completely lose his head many times in the past after fuck ups, but I thought he held it together quite well during the second half.

Iwobi was the big one though. Utter dog shite in the first half - so many stray passes (one leading to the Vardy goal and another leading to the penalty to highlight two) and just generally completely off the pace. But second half most of our good play went through him and he was choosing the right option when he had the ball. And of course he took his goal really well.

If our players could be consistent instead of this sloppy mess we'd be fine. By fine, I don't mean challenging for anything but we'd be comfortably further up the league and have no worries. It's infuriating.

How spooky. Last year, our 5th last game was also Leicester away. I didn't realise it was the same fixture. 

after that game we were 1pt clear with a much more favourable (supposedly) run of last 4 fixtures. Relegated Watford (draw), home to Brentford (loss), home to Palace (that game) and then the meaningless thrashing at Arsenal. 

Just now, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

I would snap your arm off for 2 points from the next 2 games, we just need to still be in with a chance of survival by the time we play Wolves

I think Wolves and Bournemouth are both winnable, even for us

If we play how did against Newcastle for the first 20 minutes and Leicester (minus the individual errors) all games are winnable bar city perhaps.